Are carry-ons always weighed?

markser

I have never flown on ATN, but on other airlines that I have traveled, I have never seen carry-on's weighed. My own experience (and it is obviosuly just anecdotal) is that people regularly exceed the size limitations on carry-on baggage, and the airlines seem not to care. Always seems like there is one guy one every flight trying to cram his suitcase that should have been checked into a too small overhead compartment. He's the one moving everyone's elses stuff in the compartment, turning his bag left, right, sideways, etc., blocking the aisle for ten minutes while he does this little dance, trying and get his 2 cubic foot bag into 1 cubic foot of space. (C'mon--you know the guy, and it always is a guy.)

I have never seen airline personnel tell someone that a bag is too big to carry-on. I wish they would. Maybe ATN is different.

Yeah, Stephen, you're right: it always IS a guy. I've seen a couple Southwest flight attendants chew people out and take it from them, give them a bag check, and stow it below. I wish more of the airlines would do that!!

Cheers... Hap

• 2 weeks later...

The weight limit on Air Tahiti is 22 KILOS, not pounds. They sometimes asked us to put our carry ons on the scale with our checked bags, most of the time not. If you have dive gear they had a special weight allowance. In my opinion if you have 88 pounds of luggage traveling to FP you have too much, although some folks have Tahiti as part of a longer trip.

The weight limit on Air Tahiti is 22 KILOS, not pounds. They sometimes asked us to put our carry ons on the scale with our checked bags, most of the time not.
I think the carry-on limit on ATN is indeed 22 lbs or 10 kg. When we traveled in April '11, they did not weigh our carry-ons. But this was on international flights - domestic rules many be stricter.

http://www.airtahitinui-usa.com/traveldesk/baggage.asp

22 pounds is indeed the listed weight limitation for a carry on item.

I think a better title for the thread would be "Are carry-ons ever weighed?" I bet the answer is no (unless your bag is so heavy that you are not capable of getting it off the ground and into the overhead bin).

I did not see anything weighed in 2008.

Archived