Tours on Fatu Hiva

goletans

I'm not sure you'll find an organized tour. Here is a links from Wendy the Wanderer to give you an idea what to expect:

"Moorea remains our favorite island, although Fatu Hiva is now in contention....Fatu Hiva first, the most remote, and awesomely beautiful. The Bay of Virgins. Wow, only 500 people....Our favourite Marquesan island, I think. We didn't do an excursion there, but just wandered. We missed most of the performance put on by the natives, but heard it. People watched, shopped, didn't make it to the waterfall because it was too darned hot! I finally bought a tapa cloth there, and then lost it in LAX--David says that means we have to go back! The entrance to Hanavave (the Bay of Virgins) is spectacularly beautiful. With a population of only 500 people, life seems pretty calm and relaxed there. The shore is mostly rocky and wild, although one guy actually went out snorkeling in the bay, by himself."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=894706&highlight=fatu+hiva

If you head to the Regent section and do a search, there are a few other reviews from past PG cruises concerning Fatu Hiva to be found.

Just thought I would post one other thread from nsbee with a link to blog of the visit:

"Fatu Hiva

http://barcann.livejournal.com/44431.html

that's where I got my tattoo. No tour but Le truck took us in to one of the small villages where the local artisans were displaying their wares.

The local children put on a terrific dance show for us also. Landing on Fatu Hiva is quite an adventure...small zodiacs from the ship and then climbing up cliffs to get to land. Plenty of strong crew members to assist you."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=749680&highlight=fatu+hiva

Even though Fatu Hiva wasn't listed on the shore excursion list for booking in advance, PG did offer tours when we were there a few months ago (April '11). Mark Eddowes was aboard and he led treks to the Omoa archaeological site. This is what I wrote in my review:

Fatu Hiva

Fatu Hiva is the most remote and least visited of all the Marquesas and we felt privileged to be there. We took the Omoa Petroglyphs Walk with Eddowes. Shortly after the walk started, the rain began and didn’t let up for our entire 3 hours! It wasn’t a difficult walk but the rains made the trails and rocks very slippery. The tour was an excellent intro to the archaeology of Marquesas and was our first opportunity to see a ceremonial site up close. The petroglyphs were somewhat faded and you needed imagination to see what was there. Nevertheless, Eddowes was in his element and spoke at length, sometimes repeating what he had covered in his lectures. No matter, it was all very interesting. We also visited a small museum that was full of ancient tools and artifacts. The trek ended in town at the cultural centre where many artisans had gathered to sell their work. Fatu Hiva is known for tapa cloth and is the only Island in Marquesas to still practice this traditional artform. There were lovely tapa pieces in all shapes and sizes. There were also some exquisite rosewood and stone carvings for sale. We bought several carved items here and regret not buying more, since quality was high and prices were reasonable. CPF only, no USD or credit cards. As a general rule, prices increased as we made our way through the Islands.

If you're interested, you can read my review of other ports in Marquesas and Societies here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1409907

Thank you, everyone. I've seen these posts and was just hoping that someone had found a friendly local guide. Mark Endowes is not scheduled to be on our cruise but will lead his excursion on Moorea that we've prebooked and are looking forward to. I wonder how safe the tattooing is on Fatu Hiva - nsbee's little dolphin sure is cute!

Archived