Fiordlands Nat Park - How far do you go in

I will be on the Celebrity Century New Zealand Cruise in Jan 2012. Can anyone who has been on this trip with Celebrity or another cruise line tell me how far into:

Milford Sound

Dusky Sound

Doubtful Sound

does the ship travel and how long is it in the fiord?

Does it go part of the way or most of the way.

Thanks for any information on this,

Rick

I will be on the Celebrity Century New Zealand Cruise in Jan 2012. Can anyone who has been on this trip with Celebrity or another cruise line tell me how far into:

Milford Sound

Dusky Sound

Doubtful Sound

does the ship travel and how long is it in the fiord?

Does it go part of the way or most of the way.

Thanks for any information on this,

Rick

Hi,

Entry to the sounds depends on the weather, but your chances are usually excellent. On the Diamond Princess last year we got into all the above plus another Thompson Sound. We came across the Tasman (not reverse) and did Milford first, going in all the way. A guide is onboard giving a running commentary all the way over the loud speakers. We entered around 8am, this will be advertised the night before. When you exit Milford, via the same route, you will have plenty of time to grab something to eat. Stand on the left going in. Sorry about nautical terms! They also announce the timing re this and the other sounds. The sounds in all, took up most of the day. Are you ever in for a treat.....fantastic, stunning etc etc.

We are back again in a couple of months as it was so good.

Jen

It takes a couple of hours for Milford.

When we cruised the sounds last Feb from the south we cruised into Dusky Sound and out Breaksea Sound, then up the coast and into Doubtful Sound and out through Thompson Sound. After that we went all the way into Milford Sound until we saw the settlement, spun round and came out again. Wonderful.

Fiordland-map.gif

Archived