Cheapest transpiration to west bay

vegadog2

My wife and I would like to go to the beach and back.what would be the cheapest way.Don't really want to spend $80.00 for a trip to the beach

What ship, which port are you docking at? It's cheaper from Coxen Hole than from Mahogany Bay.

The absolute cheapest, but the most indirect, and longest time consuming way is to take the local minibuses. You'll need lempiras, patience to wait, to take them. This site gives some details.

http://www.roatanisland.net/cruiseship.htm

DW and I booked a dayrate with Bananrama resort, $30 pp, which included transportation to and from Mahogany Bay and a "welcoming drink" of your choice, plus use of the facilities which include and outdoor shower and changing rooms. A must if you snorkel or swim. They have a pretty decent outdoor bar/grill for food. If open, the best local place to eat is Celestes which is right across from the entrance to Bananarama; beleadas, meat/seafood filled pastries. I realize it's still expensive but the distance is quite far from Mahogany Bay. You might find an independent cab driver outside the gate and over the hill in Mahogany Bay who would be willing to drive you to West Bay/West end cheaper but you need to be clear on pick time and pick up point as taxis don't "patrol" the West Bay lookiing for fares. you can certianly do cheaper from Coxen Hole with taxis just outside the main gate.

I think the bus system has improved a great deal..they actually leave from the bus stop in Coxen Hole every 30 minutes now... I saw a guy in a little booth with a stop watch and a horn, horn blows bus leaves, easy peasy. I was truly stunned. The ride with stops will take about 40 minutes from Coxen Hole to West End... at this point ya have to take a water taxi or walk to West Bay.

While others may see several challenges with the above... the truly hard part is finding the bus stop in Coxen Hole.

An added note, the bus ride from Coxen Hole to West End is 25Lemp. Just over a dollar, if you pay in US cash you will get Lemp back, there are no US coins on the island as far as I know. The water taxi is 50Lemp most people pay $3 and call it even.

Now then if you are docking in Mahogany Bay, the bus system is a far larger challenge, you may be better off taking a taxi to Coxen Hole..then attempting the above.

If your primary goal is to lay on the beach.... as said above, time wise your better off paying a taxi or excursion.

I have often heard people say the excursion from the ship is the best way to go for the price and flexibility of the transfer back to the ship. That excursion takes you to Tabyana Beach and it is the very best snorkeling West Bay has to offer. There is a thread a bit farther down named Quizzing Snorkelers it has maps and info to help ya sort out where to swim.

Oh but the mini bus from Coxen Hole and the Water Taxi from West End are delightful options if in fact seeing parts of the island are part of your goal. And in fact the bus/water taxi are the cheapest way to go, well unless ya wanna walk from West End to West Bay. :)

Sand diver, I am sorry I am upsetting you so badly. I understand your views are different than mine.

I am ALL about the adventure of a place and it is easy enough to get to West Bay and enjoy a bit of the island and it's people without having to spend a ton of cash on a tour.

For that matter, one could take the bus/water taxi route on the way to West Bay and if time is an issue take a taxi direct back to the ship.

Options are delightful things to have and I for one am going to voice them and NOT decide what people should do on their holiday.

Not that you asked but let me give you some of my history. I have been visiting Roatan for eleven years for up to three months at a time. I know the bus route from Coxen Hole to West End intimately. The original price was $18lemp, I would hand the guy a single dollar bill. Last year the price went up to $25lemp, come to think of it was $22lemp, cause I was giving him a dollar and two lemp. I have taken the bus back and forth countless times, it has never taken more than 40 minutes.

While you are right this takes forty minutes off the beach, the reward of spending time on local transport for a fraction on the price is worth it to some folks. I do not judge the choices people make, I am just tossing out options.

SandDiver, I do hope this is at an end, I will not reply to you,again.

For those of your who gain understanding to the island from my posts, please do feel free to ask farther.

I think the bus system has improved a great deal..they actually leave from the bus stop in Coxen Hole every 30 minutes now... I saw a guy in a little booth with a stop watch and a horn, horn blows bus leaves, easy peasy. I was truly stunned. The ride with stops will take about 40 minutes from Coxen Hole to West End... at this point ya have to take a water taxi or walk to West Bay.

While others may see several challenges with the above... the truly hard part is finding the bus stop in Coxen Hole.

An added note, the bus ride from Coxen Hole to West End is 25Lemp. Just over a dollar, if you pay in US cash you will get Lemp back, there are no US coins on the island as far as I know. The water taxi is 50Lemp most people pay $3 and call it even.

Now then if you are docking in Mahogany Bay, the bus system is a far larger challenge, you may be better off taking a taxi to Coxen Hole..then attempting the above.

If your primary goal is to lay on the beach.... as said above, time wise your better off paying a taxi or excursion.

I have often heard people say the excursion from the ship is the best way to go for the price and flexibility of the transfer back to the ship. That excursion takes you to Tabyana Beach and it is the very best snorkeling West Bay has to offer. There is a thread a bit farther down named Quizzing Snorkelers it has maps and info to help ya sort out where to swim.

Thank you. I found this information interesting and useful.

My wife and I would like to go to the beach and back.what would be the cheapest way.Don't really want to spend $80.00 for a trip to the beach

....Last year the price went up to $25lemp, come to think of it was $22lemp, cause I was giving him a dollar and two lemp. I have taken the bus back and forth countless times, it has never taken more than 40 minutes.

It sounds like the local bus is the cheapest option, if not the most expedient one.

Friscorays and vegadog (original OP)...remember all this depends on which ship you are on and which port you dock at. You might find it an interesting if challenging means of getting from Coxen Hole to West Bay via minibus and/or water taxi. But from Mahogany Bay you could find that option daunting. If you go strictly bus, it's 3/4 mile hike from port shopping area to the road and then down a ways to the bus stop. A taxi at the port or even just outside the main gates (over the hill), may or may not be willing to take you to just Coxen Hole. And on the return to Coxen hole via minibus, you may or maynot be able to find a taxi to take you to Mahogany Bay. In addition, you might find that you spend twice as much time on the road getting to and from the beach as you do at the beach.

I realize that larger parties are more expensive to cater to on excurisons, but if you've ever lead even a small scout troop on a short hike, you'll know it's not fun for the leader.

Aside from cheapest, what is the quickest way to/from West End? We will be in port at Mohagany Bay from 7am to 3pm. Is it worth going to West End, timewise, since we would probably have to leave West End by 1pm to make it back to the ship with about an hour to spare?

I'm torn, many people suggest leaving Mohagany Bay and try and make it to a natural beach, but it seems we're only there for a 1/2 day.

Aside from cheapest, what is the quickest way to/from West End? We will be in port at Mohagany Bay from 7am to 3pm. Is it worth going to West End, timewise, since we would probably have to leave West End by 1pm to make it back to the ship with about an hour to spare?

I'm torn, many people suggest leaving Mohagany Bay and try and make it to a natural beach, but it seems we're only there for a 1/2 day.

Absolutely worth it! The beach at Mahogany Bay is just a beach. Water can be silty and while some folks do try to snorkel, it's like snorkeling in the local public pool. Not much to see. West Bay beaches are gorgeous. shallow enough and usually calm enough for swimming and you can swim less than 50 meters out to a reef with tons of sea life or hire a small boat to take you up to other points along the reef for snorkeling in less traffic.

Super Trooper ~ you are most welcome.

ibcnusoon ~ I have often heard people say Roatan is one of the few places they pay for a cruise line shore excursion, this one to Tabyana Beach. From what I understand the price is worth the flexibility of the shuttle back to the ship.

West Bay Beach, where Tabyana is located, is said by many to be one of the most beautiful in the Caribbean, added to that if you are a snorkeler the reef is very close so the wonderful sea creatures are easy to view.

My personal feeling is, half a day on West Bay Beach beats a half a day about any where, but you and your party will have to decide such things for yourself.

as a added thought, your post says West End... I am talking about West Bay. Two different places. :)

What ever you decide, enjoy the island.

Oh sorry, yes, I meant West Bay Beach. How long is the ride from Mohagany Bay to West Bay?

Looking at all the various tours that go there, looks like I'll be spending at least $100 for 3 people. My choices are Bodden, Island Marketing. The ship does Tabyana Beach Day & Gumbalimba for $80 each Maya Key Private Island Retreat

for $70 each.

Is the area of West Bay Beach safe? I'm a mom travelling with my two daughters, aged 20 and 14.

Oh sorry, yes, I meant West Bay Beach. How long is the ride from Mohagany Bay to West Bay?

Looking at all the various tours that go there, looks like I'll be spending at least $100 for 3 people....

Bananarama will get all three of you there and back for $90, and include a beach chair with drink. Transportation time around 45 minutes.

http://www.bananaramadive.com/cruise-shippers/

Vegadog ~ If your ship docks at Mahogany Bay you are correct, while there is a bus traveling the road there is no schedule I know of nor is the bus marked in any way. Ya kinda gotta know what you are looking for. Then ya still have to change buses in Coxen Hole then shift to a water taxi in West End, unless you decide to walk from West End to West Bay.

Now if you ship docks in Coxen Hole, the mini bus/water taxi route will work for you, though it will take more time than hailing a cab. As an added thought ya gotta walk into Coxen Hole, this may take 5 to 7 minutes.

Often times saving money eats up time or adds an hassle factor. Ahh, but what an adventure you have to talk about.

I think the bus/water taxi option from Coxen Hole a grand one, but I much prefer a mix of adventure.

By the by ~ West Bay is not the only beach going..there is Half Moon Bay in West End.

Thank you so much for all the good suggestions and info. Please could you tell me more about Half Moon Bay? Is it near a place called Foster's? I have spent alot for my family to go on this cruise and we could only afford one excursion for the 10 of us. We picked one in Cozumel. We need to find an inexpensive way to try snorkling. I think the Mariner of the Seas will be at Coxen Hole.

Foster and his family have two locations, neither one is close enough to Half Moon Bay to enjoy both at the same time.

Half Moon Bay is the beach in West End. Sundowners is a bar/grill kinda place on Half Moon Bay, they have a day trip option for cruise ship people.

Half Moon Bay Resort may have a day trip option, though I can not find it on their web site.. mind, they do not have a beach.

It is possible the Foster's you are talking about is the one in West Bay.

West End is either a 40 minute walk or a 10 minute water taxi ride from West Bay.

Archived