AutoProgresso Questions

carrim

So, based on all the raves on here, we've decided to book an excursion through AutoProgresso, I understand that the departure times aren't from the pier, my question is where do we go to get on the bus and how do we get there? Also, I've read that I can simply email them and pay at the time of the excursion, do they then respond with departure information and times? Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, yhe will respond in a cople of days. You can pay right before you board the bus. There will be an agent at the pier as soon aqs you get off the ship. However the departure time is from town not the pier.

We booked Chitzen Itza with the last January and missed the bus. We dis not realise the departure time was from town. They got us on the Uxmal trip and it was great. They actually held the bus so we would make it.

We will definatly boox with them again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AutoProgreso OWNS and runs the shuttle that will take you from the ship into town. During the drive, a rep will tell you all about every tour they offer. They let you off the bus RIGHT at the spot where you will book a tour. It's really easy. No reason to book ahead. (And if I remember correctly, they wouldn't even LET me book ahead when we went.) It's a no-brainer once you get there!

• 3 weeks later...

In the past I have emailed AP and let them know which tour i wanted, how many people, etc. They told me where they would be waiting at the pier and were standing there with a sign with my name on it. I paid them and got my wrist band. But you can just wait until you are dropped off in Progreso and there will be plenty of AP people there to help you. They have been doing this for nearly 50 years and I have never had a problem with any aspect of my tours. They are they only ones I would consider using in Progreso.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We are going to be in Progresso next week with Carnival.... from 7:30am to 4:00pm. I believe I've narrowed down our choice to getting off the boat and finding AutoProgresso ASAP and booking Uxmal... which does scare me a bit since I usually stick with Carnival but Autoprogresso is half the price. So, I think we may try it.

However... after reading tons of these threads I still have a few questions...

1) What time should we get off the boat to catch the AP Uxmal tour?

2) Is there time to do ANY local shopping prior to leaving for Uxmal or after?

3) If we book when we get directly off the free bus/shuttle... how do we get to "town" so we don't miss our bus?? This seems to be the confusing part...

4) Should we purchase a snack in town to take with us or will there be a place to buy a snack at Uxmal??

5) Are there any vendors selling anything at Uxmal??

Thank you to anyone/everyone who answers!!

We are going to be in Progresso next week with Carnival.... from 7:30am to 4:00pm. I believe I've narrowed down our choice to getting off the boat and finding AutoProgresso ASAP and booking Uxmal... which does scare me a bit since I usually stick with Carnival but Autoprogresso is half the price. So, I think we may try it.

However... after reading tons of these threads I still have a few questions...

2) Is there time to do ANY local shopping prior to leaving for Uxmal or after?

3) If we book when we get directly off the free bus/shuttle... how do we get to "town" so we don't miss our bus?? This seems to be the confusing part...

4) Should we purchase a snack in town to take with us or will there be a place to buy a snack at Uxmal??

5) Are there any vendors selling anything at Uxmal??

Thank you to anyone/everyone who answers!!

I've never taken the Uxmal tour because it takes too much of the day. Always gone to the Dzib ruins and had a great time. However, when you get off the free shuttle from the ship you will be dropped off right by where the AP tours leave from or just around the corner. In fact the shuttle you take is an AP bus. As soon as you get off the shuttle there will be AP people ready to sell you any tour you want. I would email AP today and ask them what time the Uxmal tour leaves and plan to leave the ship accordingly. We always take bottled water and snacks with us to the Dzib ruins. You may only be able to carry water in to Uxmal-I don't know what their rules are. But you definitely want something for that long ride. As far as shopping there is some at the Progreso pier and in Progreso you will be dropped by an open air market-not the best one to shop at but fine if you just want souveniers. In the past the AP bus drivers have always given us the choice of being dropped off back in Progreso after the tour or continuing directly back to the ship. Most people are so tired they opt to go straight back :D

Thank you for your replies. I have emailed AutoProgresso... three days ago... no response.... which concerns me a bit. I believe Uxmal will be the best ruins for us.

I still have the following questions if anyone can answer them!

We are going to be in Progresso next week with Carnival.... from 7:30am to 4:00pm. I believe I've narrowed down our choice to getting off the boat and finding AutoProgresso ASAP and booking Uxmal...

4) Will there be a place to buy a snack at Uxmal??

Thank you for your replies. I have emailed AutoProgresso... three days ago... no response.... which concerns me a bit. I believe Uxmal will be the best ruins for us.

I still have the following questions if anyone can answer them!

We are going to be in Progresso next week with Carnival.... from 7:30am to 4:00pm. I believe I've narrowed down our choice to getting off the boat and finding AutoProgresso ASAP and booking Uxmal...

4) Will there be a place to buy a snack at Uxmal??

AP has never taken more than 24 hours to respond to my emails during the 3 years I've been been booking tours with them.

What "town" are you referring to? You are dropped off from the free shuttle almost in the exact spot in downtown Progresso that u will board your AP tour bus or possibly just arund the corner. This is right beside one of the open air markets and it also the same place you can take the double decker bus tour if you want. You will be give a colored wristband and it will correspond to the tour you are taking. I am adding a couple of pics form our last trip to Progreso. The first one is from the DD bus-the AP shuttle lets you off almost right behind it and you enter the tan colored building on the left (open air market) to book your tours. AP people are standing all over around there. Then the AP tours leave from either that spot or depending which tour, just around the corner, about 1/4 block. There have always been plenty of AP people to show us where to go. The ohter pic is the interior of the open air market where you can browse or just wait until your tour leaves. There are also bathrooms there but I'd take my own TP just in case.

32271_396731344634_606454634_4266098_871671_n.jpg.0e308ffef910b638b4be4af3fa3fbf01.jpg

32271_396731329634_606454634_4266097_6635148_n.jpg.708bcc6ee92a55abbc1943d8c5160c36.jpg

AP has never taken more than 24 hours to respond to my emails during the 3 years I've been been booking tours with them.

I commented on Cruise Critic this morning at 10:58am and at 11:22am, I received a reply. Interesting. :rolleyes: Still three days late, however. But, now I have my answer.... AP Uxmal tours begin at 9am and they recommend you be at the "pier" at 8:30am and they will take us back to the "ship" at 2pm. All interesting and good to know...

What "town" are you referring to? There is another thread where a girl said she got off the shuttle/free bus and booked with AP and then went back to the same place for her tour and missed the bus because she did not know the actual tours met in "town" (per her thread) and so she missed her bus. She said to make sure you go to TOWN. :confused: I'm just going to ask them the day we are there where to meet... they wrote "pier" in their email. I'm sure we will figure it out...

• 2 weeks later...

The pier is 5 miles long and tours can be taken directly from there. Alternatively, the free shuttle takes you into Progreso which is the 'town' referred to. At the drop off point, which is a makeshift market of stuff people think tourists like, you can again meet with AutoProgreso reps and book your tour.

At Uxmal there is a restaurant onsite and across the street (buffet, quite good, just had it yesterday) and also the best espresso coffee at a little stand up against the wall at the 'lobby' area of Uxmal.

There are also gift shops and snacks, ice cream, drinks are available there as well.

Also, there is an ATM in that same area. Be aware that the ATM does not always have cash in it and on at least one occasion, the machine has swallowed a card so bring a back up as there is no one there to open the darn thing.

Enjoy.

• 1 month later...

I had a question about the autoprogreso uxmal tour.

It seems that with the bus ride there and back takes up a lot of time. Also with the tour of the ruins, does it leave any time to get an hour massage?

I had a question about the autoprogreso uxmal tour.

It seems that with the bus ride there and back takes up a lot of time. Also with the tour of the ruins, does it leave any time to get an hour massage?

Depends on when your ship departs.

I had emailed them a while ago about specifics - we are cruisining in on the Carnival Elation and will be in port from 7am to 4pm. We were told to meet at their kiosk at 8:30 for the 9am tour. It lasts about 5 hours, give or take, and we were told that we would be dropped off right at the ship - which would be around 2-ish. I suppose you have enough time to get a massage.....

• 2 months later...

We have some questions about AutoProgreso's Combo Tour (Merida/Dzibilchaltun) :

1) When does the tour bus leave the Progreso area?

2) Do they offer multiple, staggered start times, or do all combo tours start at the same time? Is it possible to start a tour 'later', say at 9:00 am ?

3) When does the bus return to Progreso?

4) Which area does the tour visit first, Merida or Dzibilchaltun?

Thanks.

I've never taken the Uxmal tour because it takes too much of the day. Always gone to the Dzib ruins and had a great time. However, when you get off the free shuttle from the ship you will be dropped off right by where the AP tours leave from or just around the corner. In fact the shuttle you take is an AP bus. As soon as you get off the shuttle there will be AP people ready to sell you any tour you want. I would email AP today and ask them what time the Uxmal tour leaves and plan to leave the ship accordingly. We always take bottled water and snacks with us to the Dzib ruins. You may only be able to carry water in to Uxmal-I don't know what their rules are. But you definitely want something for that long ride. As far as shopping there is some at the Progreso pier and in Progreso you will be dropped by an open air market-not the best one to shop at but fine if you just want souveniers. In the past the AP bus drivers have always given us the choice of being dropped off back in Progreso after the tour or continuing directly back to the ship. Most people are so tired they opt to go straight back :D

To follow-up, here's the prompt email reply from AP:

Good day,

The Combo tour leaves Progreso at 9.30 am and we recommend being at the pier 30 minutes before. Tour at 9 am goes to Uxmal, all our tours return about 2.30 pm directly to the pier. The combo tour first goes to Dzibilchaltun, you visit the ruins and the sink hole. After that you go to Merida visiting Paseo Montejo and the historical downtown.

Hoping to see you soon

Grupo Autoprogreso

... as you may have noticed, AP doesn't hijack this board to promote their service
I did indeed notice; and thanks to our wonderful CC mods. ;)

When you get off the ship in Progreso and walk thru the marketplace, you will see the AP guys on the left in their peach shirts adverting their tours. Just stop in, tell them which one you wish to go on, pay for it and you will get your wristbands.

They will then walk you to their busses that will take you off the pier and into Progreso where you will be dropped off at their facility. When everyone else shows up, you will board the busses to go on your respective excursions. On the return, they will bypass Progreso and drop you off at the marketplace in front of the ships.

Great people and very easy process - easier to purchase the tour in the marketplace rather than wait to get into Progreso

Also - the one thing we noticed different by booking with AP to Uxmal over Carnival (besides the price!) was that the AP buses, while very clean and modern, did not have a restroom, while the Carnival excursion buses did. Not a big deal for me, but after guzzling drinks at Uxmal, my fiancee had a very..... tense ride back to the pier, lol!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few questions-

Can you pay with US dollars or do they require Pesos?

We just ride into town on the free shuttle (the one you get on immediately from the ship) and we can find an AP rep and book with them then? If so that's easy enough!

Thank you!:)

I have a few questions-

Can you pay with US dollars or do they require Pesos?

We just ride into town on the free shuttle (the one you get on immediately from the ship) and we can find an AP rep and book with them then? If so that's easy enough!

Thank you!:)

They accept US dollars

Actually, once you get off the ship, and still on the pier, there is a fairly good sized marketplace. The AP reps are on the left side almost to the end of the marketplace before you get on the free shuttle that takes you off the pier and into town.

Once you pay, they will give you a colored wristband denoting which tour you are taking. They then put you on their bus that will take you to their main office. From there, you will be told which bus to get on for your excursion!

Archived