Has anyone been to Dunedin on Christmas Day?

Kiwi_cruiser

Has anyone been to Dunedin on Christmas Day?

We’re cruising on the Sea Princess around New Zealand and we are going to be in Port Chalmers, Dunedin. On Christmas Day.

Has anyone been in / to Dunedin on Christmas Day?

If so has there been anything open?, is there any local tours?, Did the cruise line do any shore tours that day?

What did you do that day?

Any info you can give me is welcome :)

We're also travelling on the Sea Princess. I'm a bit doubtful about the availability of transport on Christmas Day so I booked an excursion through Princess. There are a number of excursions available through the cruise personaliser that you can book for Dunedin on Christmas Day.

Regards

Michelle

Hi, Kiwicruiser;

We will be in Dunedin on the same day as you, but aboard Volendam! The only excursion Holland America is making available to Volendam passengers on that day is the Taieri Gorge Train, for $249 per passenger. There are no other excursions shown for Dunedin in the Cruise Personaliser.

The only possibility of car-hire for independent exploration on 25 December seems to be via the major rental-companies at Dunedin Airport (if you can get there), apparently 24 kilometres from Dunedin CBD. Each of the CBD-based rental-offices show up as 'closed' when you try to make a Christmas Day booking.

We are hopeful that at least the shuttle-buses will be operating between the Port Chalmers cruise-ship terminal and Dunedin so that we can go for a walk. We did search the Dunedin I-Site on the internet and also the Dunedin Council site, but there is no mention of anything at all being open. Maybe the churches will be open??????

There's always hitch-hiking, we guess.:) Good luck!!!

There are some nice walks around Port Chalmers if you want to stretch your legs.

Here are some ideas..

http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/facilities/walking-tracks/port-chalmers-walks

The i site on the wharf also has a brochure with a map of the local walks.

I believe Careys Bay is worth a visit.

There will be plenty open in Dunedin on Christmas Day, the city is very aware that we are going to be welcoming cruise visitors. The shuttles will be going from Port Chalmers to the central city. A list is currently being worked on of what is open and will be made available on the Dunedin City Council's website http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/isite/cruise-ships in the next two weeks. The ships will also be given the lists. If you want a taxi or other transport, or indeed to visit an attraction it is best to prebook. You can do this through the i-site 474 3300 or contact the businesses directly by checking out www.dunedinnz.com for some fantastic experiences.

Hope you enjoy a wonderful visit to our city.

There will be plenty open in Dunedin on Christmas Day, the city is very aware that we are going to be welcoming cruise visitors. The shuttles will be going from Port Chalmers to the central city. A list is currently being worked on of what is open and will be made available on the Dunedin City Council's website http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/isite/cruise-ships in the next two weeks. The ships will also be given the lists. If you want a taxi or other transport, or indeed to visit an attraction it is best to prebook. You can do this through the i-site 474 3300 or contact the businesses directly by checking out www.dunedinnz.com for some fantastic experiences.

Hello Dunedin Expert. Will this new page include information for Easter Sunday 2012? The Sun Princess will be in Port Chalmers that day.

Thanks Colleen

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Thank you for this information.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't know Port Chalmers could handle two ships. We're on Volendam as well. Will be a crowded little port that day. I hope its better than the time our ship arrived on New Years Day. There were no shuttles, no taxis and a local bus that ran once every hour. Holland America has now added a couple of other excursions for that day but mostly they're just driving around looking at places that are closed. I fear that whilst there may be shuttles to get into town there will be little open once you get there and its a long drive in just to wander around empty streets. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on the Dunedin Tourism website for info. If only HAL hadn't put in the silly overnight stop at Circluar Quay the Volendame would have had a lovely Xmas Day sailing through the fjords.

Hi - I live not far from Dunedin. Yesterday the Otago Daily Times Newspaper had a front page article headlined "5000 "guests" for Xmas".

It says that Dozens of Dunedin tourism attractions, shops and cafes and restaurants will open to the cruise pasengers.

There is apparently a list of Xmas Day attractions, facilities and church services. The article says that the list complied by the Otago Chamber of Commerce and the I-site "has been delivered to both cruise ships".

We are going on a cruise ourselves and have Christmas day at sea on Celebrity Century and New Years Eve in Dunedin.

Have a great cruise and Happy Christmas.

Hi - I live not far from Dunedin. Yesterday the Otago Daily Times Newspaper had a front page article headlined "5000 "guests" for Xmas".

It says that Dozens of Dunedin tourism attractions, shops and cafes and restaurants will open to the cruise pasengers.

There is apparently a list of Xmas Day attractions, facilities and church services. The article says that the list complied by the Otago Chamber of Commerce and the I-site "has been delivered to both cruise ships".

We are going on a cruise ourselves and have Christmas day at sea on Celebrity Century and New Years Eve in Dunedin.

Have a great cruise and Happy Christmas.

Just as an extra note....

Mrs Barker, who owns Larnach Castle ,was interviewed on National Radio this week ,and during the talk mentioned that 2 cruise ships will be in on Christmas Day, and that in true Southern hospitality the Castle will be open along with many other tourist attractions and they are looking forward to welcoming everyone.

A copy is already up on a link from the web site included by Dunedin Expert. It is not an easy navigation task so here is the direct link.

http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/229195/Open-Christmas-Day-2011v2.pdf

I hope they do this for Easter as well although I gather it is less traditionally closed down than Christmas Day. The NZ approach to welcoming cruise ships is a real incentive for cruising there.

Colleen

Colleen

Hi there

Just to clear up a point in one of the comments - The Dunedin City Council has worked hard to put the list of what is open on Christmas Day together, not the Chamber of Commerce (to give credit where credit is due!). You may find the list at www.dunedin.govt.nz/isite/cruise-ships

Kiwi Shuttles and United Taxis are also operating. It is best to book ahead so that they have taxis available for you.

There is also a Heritage Bus running through the city from St Clair to Normanby, which would be fun - just for a gold coin donation.

The big tip is - Book Now - all the activities and attractions will fill up fast!

Have fun in Dunedin - we look forward to welcoming you :-)

Archived