Day Two on the Island Princess

Sunviking

Hello everyone from the Island Princess.

Day two is sunny and calmer than yesterday but still cool. We had our cruise critic gathering in Crooners yesterday afternoon. It was nice to meet the people with whom you've been corresponding for almost a year.

The ship is lovely, the food has been good and there is plenty to do. Two more days and we'll be in Hawaii and maybe we'll have some warmer weather.

More later.

Ann

Thanks for your posting, Ann. We're on next, and are avidly interested in your experience. :)

Who is your Cruise Director? Are the seas rough? What time was your muster, do you remember? Have you any clue as to when the Formal Nights are?

Hope you have a GREAT cruise, and thanks again for posting.

L.

Just got back from the Island 15 day cruise on Sunday, March 20. I'll check the Patters tonight and let you know when the formal nights were.

We had a somewhat unusual cruise according to the crew. The ships log classified the seas as Rough on 3 or 4 days, Slight on 3 days, and Moderate on the rest. DH and I don't get seasick and like the movement, but there were some sick passengers. Most said a daily dose of bonine or use of the patch took care of it. They didn't put the "bags" out anywhere that I saw so those under the weather must have stayed in their cabins.

The ship is beautiful and we had a terrific time. Only downside was that they made us get off after 15 days. We could have stayed on for another 15! You'll have a great time.

Good thing you didn't fly out until Monday. (if I remember correctly.) We barely made our flight at 12:30, and we were the 5th group called. Projected time off the ship was 8:45. Thanks to those that didn't bother with immigration until almost 10:00. We met a couple that missed their flight, and were pretty upset. I guess that's why they recommend no flights before noon.

The following is from a recent post from a party that was on the January sailing - Is the food and service really that bad or did they get a completely new crew??

Ron

I too sailed aboard the Island Princess in January, 2005. We were extremley disappointed with the quality of the food. This was our 5th sailing with Princess-we have been aboard the Dawn-twice, the Sun, the Golden and were satisfied with these ships. The Island while being beautiful is also lacking in friendliness and quality of food. We went to the Captain's welcome party-we were unable to even secure a glass of wine. Most nites, especially the first week ----the food was inedible. It was Horrible!! It picked up a bit in the second week-lobster twice and crab. We went to Sabatini's for dinner one nite. It was good but not worth the 80 dollars for 4 extra!! Loved the ship but the food needs to be improved.

I also sailed on the Island Princess last week and have to say that debarkation was a joke. We were supposed to be down at 7:45 am. Got off the elevator at 7:30 and saw the line which were winding around the whole ship. Stayed on the elevator and went up to Horizon Court for breakfast. Came back down around 9am and still had to wait an hour before we were able to get to immigration. As was stated, they would not let anyone off the ship until all have gone through immigration so we did not get off until 11:30.

Fortunately we were spending an extra day in LA. Except for that part the rest of the cruise was great.

Seas were rough many of the days. Our 'whale 'watch was canceled in Maui. The last two weren't too bad.

Muster was at 4:00.

Formal nights were day 2(first full day), day 11(first day after last port), and day 14(day before Ensanada).

Cruise director was Richard Joseph, but that was his last on the Island.

Glad you made your flight. Heard a lot of people complaining about missing their's. Several people in the taxi line had flights booked before 10:30! Needless to say, those flights were missed.

Since we stayed in Long Beach and flew out Monday, we hung back and let those going to the airports grab the taxis. After the line dwindled, we were put in a cab and arrived at our hotel about 12:30 or 1:00 on Sunday. Piece of cake and no stress!

Did Linda win the Princess Idol competition? We, again, didn't get out of dinner in time to make the show. It was pushing 11:00 when all of our goodbyes, pictures, and address/email exchanges were finished.

DesrtDrmr

From the ships log:

Day 2 - Wind Near Gale, Moderate Rough Seas, 59 F

Day 3 - Wind Fresh Breeze, Moderate Seas, 64.4 F

Day 4 - Wind Strong Breeze, Moderate Seas, 71.6 F

Day 5 - Wind Gale, Moderate Seas, 71.6 F

Day 6 - Wind Moderate Breeze, Smooth Seas, 77.7 F

Day 7, 8, 9 - Wind Moderate Breeze, Gentle Breeze, Light Air, Calm in port, 82.4 F, 80.6 F, 70.1 F

Day 10 - Wind Fresh Breeze, Moderate Seas, 68.2 F

Day 11 - Wind Near Gale, Rough Seas, 74 F

Day 12 - Wind Strong Breeze, Rough Seas, 69.8 F

Day 13 - Wind Strong Breeze, Rough Seas, 68 F

Day 14 - Wind Fresh Breeze, Moderate Seas, 62.8 F

Day 15 - No info

Hope this helps. Cruise Director Richard Joseph (who left for another ship) said the seas were like a lake (smooth as glass) on the cruise before our's.

Hey There,

Yes, Linda did win the Princess Idol competition on the last night. She was thrilled. She said it took a while for her knees to stop shaking, but had a blast. The cruise was wonderful. Had great dinner companions (Mbouck1), his wife and 2 fun folks from England. Lots and lots of laughs.

Fortunately, our flight was at 3:50 (LA to Sacramento), so we had no problems due to the disembarking delay.

Yes, the weather could have been better, but it's whether or not you choose to have a good time ... and we did!!! Get involved in the onboard activities. We rented cars on 3 ports (did not reserve them) and a Harley on Maui. For sightseeing, the cars are much better than tour buses.

Hope the weather improves for you on your current 3/20 sailing.

Mrluckiest.

Thanks, prose..............got my patches, I'm ready!!! :)

Glad you had a good time............but why is it that there are always a couple of folks that don't get their immigration stuff taken care of so everyone has to wait????? I think that's happened on all but one of our eleven cruises................sigh...........

Archived