Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Cunard Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cunard Line
Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Cunard Cruise Deals.

Old March 17th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy oxygen on board

recently my husband has required an oxygen concentrator, constantly. on our last air trip, we paid to have two canisters of oxygen for him, and he used it through the entire flight.
i don't even know what questions to ask, but i'm requesting information and help from this board.
we are sailing from southampton, 21 aug. [although i'm considering hamburg.]
he will need the oxygen from the plane to the ship, and after arrival in new york, as well as on board the ship.
thank you for your help

Old March 17th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

For something this important I would skip the Cruise-critic board and call Cunard directly. You cannot be the first person to need this service.

Old March 17th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Its in the terms & conditions here.

http://www.cunard.co.uk/Documents/Le...Conditions.pdf

URL=http://www.cruisecritic.com][/url]

Old March 17th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by britannia56 View Post
recently my husband has required an oxygen concentrator, constantly. on our last air trip, we paid to have two canisters of oxygen for him, and he used it through the entire flight.
i don't even know what questions to ask, but i'm requesting information and help from this board.
we are sailing from southampton, 21 aug. [although i'm considering hamburg.]
he will need the oxygen from the plane to the ship, and after arrival in new york, as well as on board the ship.
thank you for your help
From Cunard's website (https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/b...gen_cylinder):
Can you provide oxygen cylinders on board?

The only oxygen cylinders we have on board are for emergency use.
Should you require use of an oxygen cylinder for non-emergencies, you should arrange this yourself.
Omega are a private hire company providing oxygen cylinders, who maybe able to assist you depending upon the itinerary for your cruise. Contact Bill Quantrill of Omega on 01273 308 176.

Old March 17th, 2012, 06:20 PM
5,000+ Club

Here is what Cunard says:

Should you require use of an oxygen cylinder for non-emergencies, you should arrange this yourself.
Omega are a private hire company providing oxygen cylinders, who maybe able to assist you depending upon the itinerary for your cruise. Contact Bill Quantrill of Omega on 01273 308 176.

There are restrictions on the number of oxygen cylinders which can be carried in
staterooms. The ship’s medical centre cannot refill or supply oxygen cylinders.

Can I bring liquid oxygen on board?

Liquid oxygen can be carried on board our ships, so long as it is provided in a Cryogenic Flask or Pressurised Cylinder. Please contact the Medical Department via the Reservations centre as express permission from the ship will be required first. Liquid oxygen cannot be carried if its container requires an external power source to keep the oxygen in its liquid state. Carnival PLC reserves the right to request full specifications of the equipment prior to confirming that you can bring liquid oxygen on board our ships.
Please note that the ship's Medical Centre cannot refill oxygen or supply cylinders. You are responsible for renting / supplying enough equipment and supplies to last the entire cruise. It is likely only one cylinder can be stored in your cabin and the remainder elsewhere.
Due to changes to the supply of NHS oxygen cylinders and concentrators, it is our understanding that oxygen cylinders may no longer be provided under an NHS prescription for your cruise. These supply changes may affect your ability to take your concentrator abroad.

Can I take an oxygen concentrator on board?

Yes, Please notify our Reservations Centre on 0843 374 0000 who will contact our Medical team. They in turn will contact you with further details.

Barry

A review of our 28 day cruise to Tahiti on Pacific Pearl.... Pacific Pearl to Tahiti

Pics of our "3 Queens" cruise with Cunard--May/Jun 2012...Plane, Cunard and train to Germany

Pics of our 14 nights on Voyager of the Seas -- to NZ...On a BIG ship to NZ

A report of the inaugural cruise by Pacific Dawn to Papua New Guinea ports...Pacific Dawn to PNG

Ships sailed on since 2007

P&O Pacific Star
P&O Pacific Sun x 2
P&O Pacific Dawn x 3
P&O Pacific Pearl
P&O Oriana
P&O Arcadia
Queen Victoria
Queen Elizabeth
Queen Mary 2 x 2
Voyager of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Carnival Spirit
Sea Princess

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 17th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacThespian View Post
From Cunard's website (https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/b...gen_cylinder):

Hi
I hire a concentrator from Bill whenever I cruise and the service is great.The concentrator is in the cabin when you get there and you pay Bill on the day.He supplies all the cruise ships.You can have cylinders too for taking around or as backup.The concentators are run on US voltage and quite quiet.

Old March 18th, 2012, 03:34 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacThespian View Post

And can I put in a big personal plug for Bill Quantrill? A very nice guy and really helpful. We have used his services on our last three cruises. He's ex-Royal Army Medical Corps and has security clearance to come on board the cruise ships at Soton. He delivers the concentrator to your cabin and you pay him the rental on delivery. At the end of the cruise you need do nothing more than switch off the machine and leave it in the cabin and he collects it from there. An excellent service.

But...

... I really don't know what arrangements can be made for a one-way Transatlantic.

J

Last edited by Cruachan; March 18th, 2012 at 03:35 AM.

Old March 18th, 2012, 03:36 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetta58 View Post
Hi
I hire a concentrator from Bill whenever I cruise and the service is great.The concentrator is in the cabin when you get there and you pay Bill on the day.He supplies all the cruise ships.You can have cylinders too for taking around or as backup.The concentators are run on US voltage and quite quiet.
Apologies! I missed your post on my brief initial scan through this thread. I said pretty much the same thing in my reply.

J

Old March 18th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

My husband is ordered to use oxygen at night, and when he will be doing strenuous activity. Increasingly, he must use it most of the time, as his sarcoid disease progresses.

Last July, we flew from the US to Ireland, then from Ireland to London Gatwick. We took the train to Southampton, the boarded the QM2.

He used a portable oxygen concentrator called an
Inogen One. It weights 7 pounds, and you can carry it in a backpack, or pull it with a small wheeled carrier. It is approved on all airlines, but before you go, you submit a "letter of necessity" (from your doctor) to the airline, and they send you a document to be shown at check-in.

http://www.inogenone.com/

He had no problems using this throughout our trip...it was a perfect solution to his needs.

Last edited by valmor84; March 18th, 2012 at 10:02 AM.

Old March 18th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default thanx

everything you have told me has been so helpful. tomorrow i shall contact cunard and go on from there.

Old March 18th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

It was my pleasure to help. We had three trouble-free flights with the Inogen One, and no problems of any kind in Ireland or on the QM2. With sufficient batteries (my husband took three), or enough time to charge (never a problem on the ship) you would be amazed at the ease of use.
Quite simply, my husband could not have made the trip at all without it.

He probably will never be able to make such a trip again, but what a great time we had on the QM2!