Has anybody done the Marquesas, Tuomotus & Society Island itinerary

Benita

We booked this cruise for May, 2013- figured we would max out the time there by taking the longest cruise. I know the Society Islands are great, but have you found the other islands worthwhile to visit? Also, we are planning in several days early - would you recommend Bora Bora or Moorea for a few days?

The Marquesas Islands are stunning. At least they were to me (granted they had been on my bucket list since I was a teen.)

They are high mountain islands, some lush, some desert-like. No snorkelling, since they have no barrier reefs. I can't seem to post pictures here from my hosting site, but here's a link to a single picture, and you can look at more if you like:

http://rancher504.smugmug.com/Travel/Marquesas-French-Polynesia/7068561_bDn6XP#!i=453089115&k=fVnRB&lb=1&s=A

I loved the whole itinerary, including the sea days coming and going.

We loved them but they are different than the society islands As they are much more rustic and old world. As said they don't have water much as a sport but beautiful to look at. Each is unique in its own way.

I would do Bora bora as a pre cruise. I still think it is one of the most magical places on earth. We did a pre cruise their for 4 nights prior to the cruise you are taking. Hard to do the cruise then stay as he cruise beyond spoils you.

We did this itinerary in November, and I would do it all over again. The Marquesas are special, like nowhere else on earth.... but we did enjoy all three island groups. We stayed post cruise in Bora Bora, the IC Thalasso is a really lovely place to spend a few days.

Everybody's different. Although Bora Bora is stunningly beautiful from the lagoon, I have never likkd the island itself as much as I do Moorea. Moorea is also a lot cheaper to do a pre-cruise, although if money's no object, there are some lovely-looking resorts on BB (haven't stayed in any of them.)

I did the Marquesa itinerary in Aug 2008. Happy I did it but my favourite is the 10 day Tuamotu itinerary. Fakarava is beyond beautiful if you get to go to the blue lagoon.

The Marquesas are majestic but to me FP is all about the beautiful blue water. Marquesas are islands for hiking and I think diving.

I used teh PG tour and did the one to the Taipavai valley with Mark Eddowes. That is not to be missed as it was really interesting and fun like Mark is as a speaker. He opened the door into the place and allowed us to peak inside.

Beaches are black sand but currents are bad in the area. Also no see ums and mossies all over.

I did this itinerary January 2010. It was great seeing the grave of Paul Gauguin WITH descendents of the man!!! No the Marquesas are not about blue water and swimming but I have had two great experiences on Nuku Hiva and I have some amazing carved wood souvenirs from these islands. As far as pre cruise - if you are on a cruise with a 2 day stay on Bora Bora I would save your money and do Moorea or Papeete if only a day or 2.

• 4 weeks later...

We did the post cruise stay at the IC Thalasso in Bora Bora. I found it was so nice to just relax for 4 days after and enjoy the experience. We did excursions everyday (except 2 days at sea) while on the PG so we were ready to stay put. It was also an amzing way to finish off our honeymoon!

Archived