Cooking class on Equinox?

Ex-Airbalancer

What do you mean by a "real" cooking class? If you mean, passengers participate and do the cooking, then no, they don't have those on X. But they usually do have cooking demonstrations---they've had those on every X cruise I've been on.

They may offer a shore excursion with cooking as a part of the tour.

We were on the Equinox in March. I had read about an intriguing cooking class in Murano's in a review of an earlier cruise on the Equinox. The day we boarded, I had forgotten about it, but we met a waiter from Murano's whom we knew from former dinners in the specialty restaurant) down in the Atrium and were chatting with him. He mentioned the cooking class , and said that at that point (mind you, this was about 2:00 on embarkation day) there were only two spots left! My girlfriend and I had talked about doing the class before the cruise (figuring the husbands might not be too interested), and she and I headed down to Murano's to sign up, and indeed, got the last two of the 12 spots. The cost for the class was $99, and it was held the last day of the cruise. It was a great experience. Loved seeing the kitchen, getting to work in the kitchen of Murano's, meeting the Head Chef and talking to him, and working with a wonderful young lady sous chef. The class was broken down into four groups, and each group prepared something different. After the food preparation was done, we headed back into Murano's for a wonderful lunch, including the dishes that the class prepared, along with wine and dessert. After lunch was over, we were given a copy of the cookbook "Excite the Senses", to take home. (The cook book is more of a coffee table book, but it is gorgeous, and HUGE. It weighs almost nine pounds... had to go into the carry on luggage to make it home!).

So, yes, there are cooking classes available, but I am not sure about all sailings. I would guess so, but if you are interested, when you board, head down to the specialty restaurants as soon as you can, as obviously the spots fill up very, very quickly. I loved the class (I cook a great deal at home, and enjoy learning more about cooking... have taken other classes at a local French restaurant.) and thought it well worth the expense. If there's any other questions, let me know, please, and I will answer them if I can.

Here's a few pictures from the cooking class last month on the Equinox.... From the beginning of the class to the final plated product... and it tasted and turned very good, too, we all thought. The two chefs in the pictures are the young sous chef, who did a great job of teaching and demonstrating techniques in the class, and the Head Chef of the Specialty Restaurants, who joined us for a few minutes and was very interesting to talk to about cooking. The last picture is of the set up in the kitchen when we started putting the appetizer together. It is a great recipe... will try making it at home this summer, but will probably leave out the caviar... not something I enjoy tremendously.

3985861_Screenshot2012-04-19at11_58_13AM.jpg.41911b6075a56f641d82da7efa8aa89f.jpg

1230520205_Screenshot2012-04-19at11_58_43AM.jpg.3e5e034b8a291adb1b9177969cd422c5.jpg

1785290075_Screenshot2012-04-19at11_59_00AM.jpg.8d7f1ca0b4ee779c4f3d213831a98c6a.jpg

415250422_Screenshot2012-04-19at11_59_31AM.jpg.9564df65bff904c6fae663a4e1d2fd43.jpg

975767346_Screenshot2012-04-19at12_05_18PM.jpg.f0af7bd9da740b5fe6c60624dcc0f9dc.jpg

We enjoyed a wonderful cooking class with guest chef Dena Marino on Eclipse in December. this was a special "Savor your Destination" cruise and featured additional food-themed activities.

The cost was $50 pp which included hands-on cooking as well as lunch and wine.

You can read more about it and view photos in my Eclipse review, as well as in this blog:

http://www.bunkycooks.com/2012/01/chef-dena-marino-on-board-the-celebrity-eclipse-and-a-recipe-for-stuffed-idaho-trout/

We enjoyed a wonderful cooking class with guest chef Dena Marino on Eclipse in December. this was a special "Savor your Destination" cruise and featured additional food-themed activities.

The cost was $50 pp which included hands-on cooking as well as lunch and wine.

You can read more about it and view photos in my Eclipse review, as well as in this blog:

http://www.bunkycooks.com/2012/01/chef-dena-marino-on-board-the-celebrity-eclipse-and-a-recipe-for-stuffed-idaho-trout/

Those are always nice. Chef Govind Armstrong gave a class to many of us last April on the Equinox. I think his price was $35/pp.

We ate the food we prepared (but not cooked) in Murano later.

• 3 months later...
Here's a few pictures from the cooking class last month on the Equinox.... From the beginning of the class to the final plated product... and it tasted and turned very good, too, we all thought. The two chefs in the pictures are the young sous chef, who did a great job of teaching and demonstrating techniques in the class, and the Head Chef of the Specialty Restaurants, who joined us for a few minutes and was very interesting to talk to about cooking. The last picture is of the set up in the kitchen when we started putting the appetizer together. It is a great recipe... will try making it at home this summer, but will probably leave out the caviar... not something I enjoy tremendously.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Can you remember what the entire lunch consisted of? What time did it start and finish? Thanks for posting this.

Micki

Archived