Champagne Bay and Wala

Am wondering if anyone can tell me what facilities are available at Champagne Bay and Wala. Are there seats to sit on? toilets? Is it very difficult getting off tender ? We are going next month. I have some mobility problems have always wanted to see Champagne Bay but am unsure if I'll be able to manage .Is it similar to Mystery island once you are ashore ie soft sand to walk on? Thanks

Good question, Physiemum - we are going to these places in Sept and are really looking forward to them. I can't tell you anything about them, BUT I can assure you, as long as you can stand and walk a little, there should be no problem getting on and off tenders. Two of the wonderful crew are always there to make sure everyone is safe and they help everyone who needs it. :)

We have been to both Champane Bay and Wala and found both to be lovely. Now it is like all tender ports, so no different than Mystery Island. In saying that I am sure, as Sandielle says, the staff will be on hand to help. Wala has some lovely benches, put there by the locals, under the palm trees. It is a very pretty island. I am sure you will love both. My memory of them was a soft summer breeze blowing, sitting under these palm trees. I cant wait to go again. Come on 24th July.

Getting in and out of the tenders is pretty much the same wherever you go.

Champagne Bay is lovely, but I can't remember seeing any seats. There are quite a few market stalls. The locals run tours in the back of a truck to their version of the Blue Hole.

Am wondering if anyone can tell me what facilities are available at Champagne Bay and Wala. Are there seats to sit on? toilets? Is it very difficult getting off tender ? We are going next month. I have some mobility problems have always wanted to see Champagne Bay but am unsure if I'll be able to manage .Is it similar to Mystery island once you are ashore ie soft sand to walk on? Thanks

Wala island.

lots of markets and sand and yes there are seats, and not very good for wheel chairs. still a very nice place and lots to see.

IMG_7246.jpg

IMG_7262.jpg

both Wala and champagne bay have good fetties

new Toilet block with blue roof

IMG_7325.jpg

some of Champagne Bay

IMG_7328.jpg

Hi Physiemum

I tried to recall the layout at both ports and found some photos that helped me remember. See link below so you can see for yourself. I tend to notice mobility issues because Harry can only walk short distances and struggles with very loose sand and rough terrain. In both places there is a sandy area to get across at the end of the tender wharf - quite short and manageable with one of those three or four pronged sticks to spread the weight. Neither place is wheelchair friendly but distances are short if you pace yourself. Wala has benches along the beach - not many and scattered. Both have seating associated with some of the the stalls E.g. the bar - massages on Wala were OK and you get to lie down! Both have grassy areas which you can choose to walk on along the back of the beach. The big attraction on Wala is the village show circuit. The route for this is up a small hill at the back of the village to the performance areas and then back down a track to the beach. Tendering is fine - we found P&O very helpful on our last Pacific cruise. We were on the Jewel and needed to notify the front desk and the tender organisers so we could by pass the queue going down the stairs and use the staff/service lift to get down to the tender level. Do the same on the way back up - it really does make it less stressful and more comfortable. A sunshade can be useful if there is a tender queue as can one of those foldable canvas beach chairs or a shooting stick. Both places are beautiful as others have said.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j372/cjm660/Champagne%20Bay%20and%20Wala/

Enjoy your cruise!

Colleen

Thanks for sharing your album, Colleen. Great photos and they give me a good overview of the areas we will visit. :)

Thanks Sandy. None of our recent Pacific cruises have taken us back to Wala, which is a favourite place, so I will be interested to hear what changes have happened.

Colleen

Thanks so much for that Colleen. Just the info I was looking for.Also the hint about getting down to the tender is very helpful as stairs are my biggest problem. Your photos are lovely.can't wait to go :D

Perhaps it would be useful to take one of those really light weight fold up aluminium camping chairs...then he could rest if he needed to along the way and you would have somewhere comfortable for him to sit in the shade on the beach.

Personally I hate sitting in the sand..and I need to stay in the shade but there is really nothing much to sit on there..the ship could provide a wheelchair to the end of the jetty for you I am sure.

Sue

Perhaps it would be useful to take one of those really light weight fold up aluminium camping chairs...then he could rest if he needed to along the way and you would have somewhere comfortable for him to sit in the shade on the beach.

Personally I hate sitting in the sand..and I need to stay in the shade but there is really nothing much to sit on there..the ship could provide a wheelchair to the end of the jetty for you I am sure.

Sue

That would be a good idea realy

Archived