Whale Watching - Juneau

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:50 AM.
Ontario, Canada
145 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
We will be in Juneau next week (yikes) and are finally getting around to booking excursions. We were thinking of booking through the cruiseline (NCL Pearl) but now I am having second thoughts...maybe Harv and Marv or Orca - if it isnt already too late.
There are 7 of us and my mom is in a wheelchair. She can transfer in and out of her wheelchair but I'm worried about getting her on and off the boats. She can do a stair or 2 if they are not steep and also if there are railings.
Any opinions, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past cruises:
Norwegian Escape 02-06-2016 - Eastern Caribbean - Haven Spa Suite
Norwegian Star 08-10-2015 - Baltic Capitals - Penthouse Suite
Norwegian Getaway 12-27-2014 - E. Caribbean - Balcony
Norwegian Spirit 7-5-2014 - Grand Mediterranean - Penthouse Suite
Norwegian Pearl 7-14-2013 - Alaska - Balcony
Norwegian Epic 12-22-2012 - E. Caribbean - Balcony
Norwegian Pearl 7-8-2012 - Alaska - Balcony
Norwegian Star 1-1-2012 - W. Caribbean - Balcony
Norwegian Pearl 12-12-2010 - E. Caribbean - Balcony
SC
1,808 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
From Harv and Marv's website:

A. There are three big steps to get in and out of our boats and the van parks about 300
yards away from our boat. If you can not walk 1/2 mile or up and down stairs with ease,
you should consider booking with a different company.

I can't remember which one it was right now, but at least one other company has the same statement on their website as well. You might want to call and talk to someone directly so you can get the facts straight from them.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~ Penny

So Cal
578 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
We tried making a reservation with H & M and Orca about 10 days before our cruise on June 10 and both were sold out. I found a smaller company on Tripadvisor and went with them. Had a fantastic experience and would highly recommend them. They were very attentive and professional and did we see whales! They're called Juneau Whale Watch Co. and their website is: http://juneauwhalewatch.rezgo.com/ I'm 99% sure they can accommodate your mom and her limitations. And, they are less money. We did the whale watching and shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier for $120 per person. Here are a few photos from our trip on June 13:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG4117.jpg (13.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4114.jpg (15.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4122.jpg (14.0 KB, 18 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Imagination - Mexico 02/14
Carnival Splendor - Mexico 07/12
HAL Oosterdam - Alaska 06/12
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam - Caribbean 02/11
Sapphire Princess - Alaska 07/10
Carnival Elation - Mexico 07/00
REVIEW: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=81642
Southaven, Ms
8,306 Posts
Joined May 2006
orca is totally wheelchair friendly. all the boats, that dock at auke bay, have the same problem..the ramp (down to the boats) can be every steep/slick.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cathi
We pack our Pollyanna Attitude And our Rose Tinted Glasses

My Space travel blogs and short videos from trips
Webshot photo: NCL Spirit (ship, cabin, ports) Western Caribe, Alaska
West. Carib NCL Spirit review:
Alaska/NCL Star 2006 review
Syracuse, New York
49,366 Posts
Joined May 2000
I would recommend Orca, they are totally accessable. Be certain to mention this in advance if you book with them, since they will be better able to help you with the access.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Alaska travels

[email protected]