4/9 Oosterdam Cruise

haywood

We returned from the O on Saturday. Since I have been a frequent guest on these boards, there were really very few suprises.

The ship was beautiful. The staff was ,at worst, pleasantly perfunctory to the high end, warm, interested and interesting. We never felt any lack of service when we had requests be it in the cabin or in the dining room. Several servers knew mine and my daughters name and always had a great hello. Since my 10 year old had a soda card, the bartenders also knew her name...."the usual, Ali?"...hmmmm.

We ate in the Pinnacle twice and thoroughly enjoyed our meals and conversations with the Maitre'D and waiter. ....I had filet one night and scampi, another....p.s. stick with the beef ! The volcanoe cake illicited a " I've gone to heaven" remark from my daughter and albeit got her to sit through another longer dinner second time around. Coffee in the Pinnacle (Terrafazione-SP?) was excellent The food in general in the dining room and Lido was very good. Yes, I checked out the bread pudding, but for some reason....I found the peanut butter to die for...maybe it's because I don't eat it at home. p.s. Best cookie: peanut butter. We found the chocolate in the Explorers lounge, much better than pillow chocolate. Drinks were weak, but tasty. They made a good Mojito and Lemon Drop...found the Sports Bar poured the best drinks.

I am told one night there were 12 ft. seas.....I noticed more people in casts as the cruise progressed. There were actually 2 medical emergencies (evacuation), the first night and another passenger taken off in Cabos.

Shopping in Cabos was so so. It was very hot so Ali and I went to Cabo Wabo (really wanted to go the the Office) for lunch. We took the Mazatlan tour with Frank and a few other CC viewers. Frank did a great job in showing us all sides of Mazatlan. He wants to make sure all your questions are answered and that everyone is HAPPY. We had a nice lunch on a beach (that to me is the aaah in a vacation). When we went to see the cliff divers we were informed they couldn't dive as they just ate....hmmm, they jump into the ocean barely missing rocks, but won't dive after eating ?? It was a long day, but Frank gave us all a thorough overview of Mazatlan. Purto Vallert was my favorite port. We got off the boat and walked to The Krystal (bring your own towels)....my DH tried tipping...a lot...but was unable to snag any towels from the hotel. They have a nice beach area with papalas and a big pool. I had a 75 min massage at their spa for $35. We decided to go back to ship for lunch and back into town for dinner and shopping. We ate at the Blue Shrimp, fabulous food and DYNAMITE blue margaritas. We ran into Melissa, the Bingo princess, there and visited with her for awhile...p.s. we won at bingo 2x.....unfortunately not the free cruise or snowball. Shopping in PV was better...lots of silver !

The sea days were cold and rough around the pool (for me). The kids in the pool enjoyed the highs and lows as the ship rocked.

We had a great time. Disembarkment was a breeze. It took us no more than 20 minutes from when we left our room to arriving at the airport...p.s. Take a cab...much faster and less expensive than ship's transfer.

p.s. We had an inside room and really missed day-light.....it may cost a little more, but will do it next time around.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU who gave us guidance for this cruise.....all the information was great and useful.

Thanks for your comments on the O'dam. We'll be sailing this Saturday w/ our 10 year old DD and wondered if she was bored at all? Did she go to the kids club? Were there a lot of kids onboard? Thanks again for your comments!!

Yes, they did have a Kids program (Club Hal), but couldn't get my daughter interested enough to do it. She hooked up with another little girl (at the end of the cruise) and they played chess, ping pong, luncheoned and swam.

The spa is a seperate building from the hotel. It is inside. The room I had two tables. I didn't request either, got a women. Hope this helps !

Yes, thanks. Just one more question. Did you just show up or did you have to make an appt. ahead of time? Also with two tables, it looks like we could get our massages side by side.:)

I am told one night there were 12 ft. seas.....I noticed more people in casts as the cruise progressed.

What does this mean? Where people tossed around quite a bit? Did you not feel the 12ft seas or are you like my husband, he can sleep thru anything?

I think you can swing by and make an appointment at the spa. I was on the beach and made mine.

Regarding casts....the steps are narrow (at least for my size 10 feet), my DH and DD saw a man tumble down the stairs. I'm Not totally out of shape but on a moving ship (less my sea legs), I can see how people could tumble...

Archived