Dubrovnik walls

Thanks, same price as last year, really enjoyed this and the cable car

Glad to know the price has not gone up from when we there last year. Loved the wall walk. Used my credit card and it worked well. No need to get local currency there. In mid June, we had upper 70's, nice breeze, only our cruise ship as the one in port, etc., etc. It was super. Below are a couple of my favorite visuals from that spectacular experience.

We didn't do the cable car, but did the Panoramic taxi tour that took us UP and UP to the top to get the same views and more. Great town and area.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 8,400 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 98,240 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

This is the Stradun or Placa, a 300 meter-long, limestone-paved, pedestrian main shopping street of Dubrovnik. Here is the view as it stretches through the walled town in the east-west direction, connecting the western entrance called the Pile Gate to the Ploce Gate on the eastern end. Stradun became the city's main thoroughfare in the 13th century and its current appearance was mostly created following the 1667 earthquake which destroyed most of the buildings. Both ends are also marked with 15th-century fountains (Onofrio's Large Fountain in the western section and Onofrio's Small Fountain on the east end. There are also bell towers (the Dubrovnik Bell Tower to the west end and the bell tower attached to the Franciscan monastery to the east). The buildings along this way all have shutter painted in the same color. The Stradun and some of the surrounding houses were damaged in mortar shelling during the Siege of Dubrovnik in 1991–92 but most of the damage has been repaired. When you look at the tile roofs, you can see the difference between the older and newer based on that battle damage. Don’t miss walking the wall in this great town.

3DubrMainStreet2Tower.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

As seen from the high wall, here is Onofrio’s Large Fountain that sits near the Pile Gate and a church.:

DubvWaterRoundPileGate.jpg

Here is a view along a portion of the Dubrovnik wall as it sits on top of the rocks, overlooking the water of the Adriatic Sea.: Facing the Adriatic Sea, this is one of the gates and passages along the walled walk. Very scenic!!:

4aDubrWallWalkGateWaterView.jpg

Make sure you have local currency, it's all they accept for admission and it's cash only. There's a convenient ATM right at the main gate (where most taxis and cruise shuttles drop you off).

I enjoyed the view from the walls but be warned that it is pretty scary up there if you have a fear of heights (like I do). There were a few sections where I was almost crawling and hugging the wall as much as possible because I was freaking out so much. It was worth it though, the views were spectacular. You are literally walking amongst the rooftops.

Make sure you have local currency, it's all they accept for admission and it's cash only. There's a convenient ATM right at the main gate (where most taxis and cruise shuttles drop you off).

Don't think it's correct to say it's "cash only". I paid last year with my credit card there at the booth where I got my tickets. Others have indicated that to still be the policy. Local cash OR putting it on your credit card.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 99,005 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I enjoyed the view from the walls but be warned that it is pretty scary up there if you have a fear of heights (like I do). There were a few sections where I was almost crawling and hugging the wall as much as possible because I was freaking out so much. It was worth it though, the views were spectacular. You are literally walking amongst the rooftops.

As I have mentioned often here, some things change quickly such as entrance fees. You may now pay the entrance of the wall with a credit card. The charge will appear as Croatian Kuna, as of now the exchange rate is approximately 6 to 1. Make sure you are off the wall prior to high noon, as our heat wave will cook the old stones quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
We loved walking the wall around the city.

Great Views!

Watch out...The first steps are a "challenge"

to put it mildly.

When we went paid in euro's.

Yesterday I walked the wall yet again this season. Large sign at the entrance reads 70 Croatian Kuna, NO Euros, credit card ok. Just a note, the main entrance does have a total of 87 steps to reach the top. Total steps are 1080 for the entire circuit. It did take us one hour to finish the first half, the sea side. We were off by 10am, the sun and heat beginning to take a toll. Time to stop for a fresh lemonade and some very cold Croatian beer. I had the lemonade...

I paid in Euros in 2010 so not sure if they changed to take only local currency. The ticket will also allow you entry to Fort Lovrjenac outside the city walls by the Pile Gate. http://www.dubrovnikcard.com/clanak.php?id=173

Fort Lovrijenac is also included in the 70 Kuna wall ticket. Unless one is visiting a minimum of 3 other museums, the card is not a good deal.

Archived