Splendour of the Seas - Eastern Med- 25th August, 2012.

hummy0605

This is the first time I have done a detailed review so I hope it turns out okay and I don't send you all to sleep :).

We are a family of 4, myself (Christine 45, Neil 47, Elyssa 19 and Chloe 16) from Wigan in Lancashire. We have previously sailed on Jewel, Independence, Voyager twice and now Splendour (we have Adventure booked for March 13). Loyal to Royal!

We booked interior cabins 7535 & 7537 back in October 11 and got fantastic prices - the price went up since and didn't fall as low as we paid. Being Europe we always book the flights ourselves and booked these with Jet 2 last November.

On the morning of departure we left Manchester airport at 7.30am and flew into Venice arriving just before 11am with time difference and baggage collection.

Near the baggage collection there is a machine to buy vaparetto tickets or bus tickets. We decided to buy ATVO bus tickets to get into Venice which was about a half hour drive away. Tried to get return tickets but couldn't work machine properly so got 4 singles for 6 euros each (a return ticket was 11 euros).

We went out of the main doors and waited in the ATVO line (make sure right one because the ACTV bus line next to it but driver will help you). Buses are every half hour and you have to put all your cases on then get on and get seats (TIP - 2 load cases and 2 save seats!) Remember to validate each ticket in the little yellow machine near the queue before boarding the bus.

Hello

We are from Scotland and we will be sailing with Splendour of the seas next year July 2013 to Greece & Turkey. We will be staying in Venice for 2 nights as we never been Venice before so we are looking forward to and we are learning about transportation.:eek:

For myself Deborah here, I am happy to read your trip story. (Ah, I see it is your first time to write it) I don't think I fall sleep or bored as I am exciting to read it.

We booked Jet2 too.

We look forward to read it

Scottishwee35:)

Edited by scottishwee35

Arrived at Piazzale Roma which is the main bus depot and also the start of the People Mover and vaparetto stops.

We booked an apartment in Ai Carmini Residence for 160 euro for the 4 of us so we walked along the Rio Nuovo until we got to Fondementa del Soccorso in Dorsoduro and found our apartment. We had the top floor (of 4) but unfortunately there wasn't a lift so had to take all cases but one up the flights of stairs. We stayed here on our way back and learnt our lesson and left all the large cases down at reception.

After we had a quick look around we left to explore Venice. We walked and walked and walked and walked but it is so so beautiful and that is certainly the way to see it.

94718851_SAM_1033-Copy.jpg.db020a1a6b98cc399240f2155e24662d.jpg

You are doing great!:) We were on the Splendour the week after you! She is a great ship. As for Venice, I agree, the best thing to do is just to walk and explore. I think we used the Vaporetti only twice.

Looking forward to more of your review and pics:D

Ali

That is great that you understand how big the photo which your friend explained to you...

I look forward to see your photos and trip story.

to give me any idea for next year...:rolleyes:

I read another trip story which you met them and they did wonderful photos and trip story which I enjoyed it...

Scottishwee35

Neil and I looking hot and sweaty in Venice - we had come from England which was only about 20 degrees to Venice which was 34 degrees when we arrived - I had to keep a big hat on because had just had an operation 3 weeks before we left to remove basel cell carcinoma skin cancer from my face (scar goes under my eye and down side of nose on right side but left side as you look at photo) - done a great job though because hardly noticeable and formal photos to follow look brilliant

DSC_0130_zps534f3b5c.jpg

Edited by hummy0605
picture

The girls had kept saying "you can't go all the way to Venice and not go on a gondola" but we it was very very busy around the Grand Canal and more expensive. As we walked away from St Marks we hired one on a quieter canal (plenty around!) and just walked up without pre booking. We managed to hire one for 80 euros which was for the gondola not per person and it was so relaxing and cool in the heat - we didn't get caught up in any gondola jams and he sang a little to us to. Gave us loads of history as we went round

DSC_0134_zps8118bf6b.jpg

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o486/hummy0605/SAM_1033-Copy_zpsf173dc05.jpg

This is a bigger picture of the bus station at Piazzale Roma - public transport is so easy and cheap to use

Hi

Thank for showing it as we booked the hotel Santa Chiara which is in the Piazzale Roma.

We are thinking to get bus from airport to Piazzale Roma then cross over the hotel?

Did you purchased two days passes? or what did you spend on water taxis, or water bus?

I am searching what the best way if we buy 36 hours passes and used it travel around in Venice? Is it useful?

My kids told me that they want see Hard Rock and I don't know how we get there (seem daft question) what is best way for us to purchase two days tickets or not?:rolleyes:

For going to cruise port, I have been looking at people mover and not sure if it is best way for us with luggages and I don't know how far to walk to terminal? :confused:

Scottishwee35

Edited by scottishwee35

Hi

Thank for showing it as we booked the hotel Santa Chiara which is in the Piazzale Roma.

We are thinking to get bus from airport to Piazzale Roma then cross over the hotel?

Did you purchased two days passes? or what did you spend on water taxis, or water bus?

I am searching what the best way if we buy 36 hours passes and used it travel around in Venice? Is it useful?

My kids told me that they want see Hard Rock and I don't know how we get there (seem daft question) what is best way for us to purchase two days tickets or not?:rolleyes:

For going to cruise port, I have been looking at people mover and not sure if it is best way for us with luggages and I don't know how far to walk to terminal? :confused:

Scottishwee35

Not silly questions at all - these are things I am doing the review for because I wanted to know similar things before we went.

Before we went I went on veniceconnected.com and bought the vaparetto tickets - it worked out a bit cheaper then buying them on the day at machine. We used them the weekend we got back (1/9). We bought a 24 hour ticket each but didn't buy the bus ticket because thats the local bus (the best one to get from the airport is the ATVO at 6 euro one way or 11 euros return) - ticket machine in airport near luggage carousels.

When you buy it online it will give you a PNR code - we then left the ship, didn't bother with the people mover because the queue was so big but walked up to the main road turned right past the multi storey car park (you can't miss it) and you get to Piazzale Roma - obviously if you want to go this way to your ship just keep the square to your back, the car park to your left and follow the road until you can turn left on the main road (you can see all the ships docked).

Going back to the PNR code - we went to the machine next to the vaparetto stops across the road from Piazzale Roma and there is a ticket machine (we used the one furthest to your left - click on english and it asks for your PNR code - that easy and it prints out your tickets. Your ticket only starts from when you validate it at a yellow machine so watch the times - we had 24 hours, validated it at 9.40am so we were able to get on the 9.30am no 2 vaparetto the following morning to get us from San Basilio stop back round to Piazzala Roma with all our luggage).

Is the Santa Chiarra the one on the bridge?

Any more tips let me know.

Thank you for your kind words too :)