Carry on

DGK

As our trip approaches (less than 2 weeks) I can't begin to thank all of you for your experise. I have pulled out our carry on's and aware that ATN may weigh them so we will be careful with the restrictions. My question is my DH will use the back pack for his carry on (camera, lenses , meds ) and I think I want to take a small roller suitcase with a set of clothes , bathing suite just in case our suit case doesn't make it. My questions is I have read that ATN also allows you one personal item such as a purse, etc. I would like to take what I call a "Beach Bag " for the personal item and use it for my book , glasses etc. There are no dimensions on the web site for the personal item and it certainly wouldn't weigh much but to be honest I couldn't call it small. Any thoughts or suggestions ? Thanks so much, 12 more sleeps, Donna

Lying flat, empty my beach bag is 13x17 inches which I realize is closer to a carry on rather than a purse. I may fill and use it for the carry on if I can get everything into it. I rather not pack the beach bag if I don't have to.

Donna

I use the most mundane of beach bags the $6.00 Mountain Equipment blue carry bag. its big enough for three towels and can be wiped clean of sand after the fact.

This time we got a Beach Bag from Paul gauguin cruises but dont know if you get that in FP as well. It was rather small though and would only fit one person or would fit sunscreen shades etc.

Interesting point Tikiintahiti, why do you feel going over not as concern as return ? I wont have the dilemma on the return as we wont need extra clothes , meds if suitcase gets lost no problem we will be home.

Thanks for the tip Miriam about MEC.

It's only a problem if you use it on the way back. I've alway found them to be way more stricked on the returm than going over which is strange, yeah, stick the knife in on the way out to leave a bad taste in their mouths, they just son't get it sometimes that people remember their 1st and last impressions the most.

They weighed ours on the way out in LAX. We had to check our roller bags, but they were way over, and looked it. We had packed light for being able to carry onto AA, and saving the time in LAX after a late flight and in Boston after double red eyes, we really didn't care about whether we had to check to Tahiti and back because we had to wait for the other transfer passengers anyway.

They never weighed our personal items in either direction, we had them on our shoulders and I had a very full back pack, which very likely would have been close to the limit had they weighed it, also DH had a large camera bag which would have likely been over the carry on weight limit, so keep it on your shoulder and they may never check. :confused: We only had to check the rollers. Now if your only carry on was the "personal item" (meaning you check the rest) they might end up weighing your personal items.

We did notice that there was a "shape" tester in Tahiti and it did appear they would "test" some, but not all for shape. They weighed everything in Tahiti.

It sounds like your beach bag is more of a shape than weight issue. I think you'd be fine going out, but may have an issue going back. But you could repack a few things into your checked since you are just heading home at that point.

The beach bag from PG was one of those small string back pack bags you see the kids using. It was difficult to get two of the PG beach towels in there; if you do you really won't fit anything else. We carried it for the beach towels and used our carry on back pack for all our other excursion/beach items.

I think we packed and repacked about 3 times:rolleyes: Good luck!!

Thanks so much Family, I have never, ever stressed over carry on's prior. I am so grateful to everyone's comments on this board who alerted me to the fact how strict ATN can be. ....less than 2 weeks to go....yahoo !

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Emdee,

Can I please have your packing list too? My email is

lfoot54 at yahoo dotcom. I leave in 4.5 weeks and I can't wait!!!

Thanks so much!

Iden

Iden- I posted a ladies packing list in my review (it's linked in my signature) it is post # 11.

Hope it's helpful! Have a great time...jealous;)

Kathy

Archived