Costa Concordia , One Year Ago

Cruizinman

Well we can add that the Carnival Spendor, the Concordia's sister ship and famous for the engine room explosion and almost burning up the ship, is AGAIN had a major breakdown, but is underway again but very late getting into Long Beach.

Gee..again..............seems it proves again that Carnival line continues to have major vessel and operational problems.

AKK

Well we can add that the Carnival Spendor' date=' the Concordia's sister ship and famous for the engine room explosion and almost burning up the ship, is AGAIN had a major breakdown, but is underway again but very late getting into Long Beach.

Gee..again..............seems it proves again that Carnival line continues to have major vessel and operational problems.

AKK[/quote']

Just to make sure your post is not misinterpreted, the Splendor had shaft seal damage due to fishing nets getting tangled in the prop and shaft.

The ship was in port at Puerto Vallarta and the planned seal repairs took longer than anticipated.

The crew and passengers were not put in danger during this delay.

Just to make sure your post is not misinterpreted, the Splendor had shaft seal damage due to fishing nets getting tangled in the prop and shaft.

The ship was in port at Puerto Vallarta and the planned seal repairs took longer than anticipated.

The crew and passengers were not put in danger during this delay.

All true, the detial came out after I posted here..........of course its not hard to avoid fishing boats and their nets, in fact the International rules of the road, give the fishing boats the right of way.

But you are correct, no danger on THIS PROBLEM.

AKK

All true' date=' the detial came out after I posted here..........of course its not hard to avoid fishing boats and their nets, in fact the International rules of the road, give the fishing boats the right of way.

But you are correct, no danger on THIS PROBLEM.

AKK[/quote']

The fishing nets along the West coast of Mexico are not accompanied by fishing boats. They are set out with small floats. It is not possible to see them at night.

It is misleading to connect this problem with the prior problem on the Splendor.

The fishing nets along the West coast of Mexico are not accompanied by fishing boats. They are set out with small floats. It is not possible to see them at night.

It is misleading to connect this problem with the prior problem on the Splendor.

Seems the point is that the *set nets*, which was not in what I read later were in a area that the vessel should not have been.

The connection has to do with a continuing problem with Carnival corporation operational, safety policies, Officer staff and vessel designs that have lead to many many problems over the years, sinking, fires, breakdowns etc......all part of the Concordia investigation that is now also including Carnival corporation as a whole.

AKK

Seems the point is that the *set nets*' date=' which was not in what I read later were in a area that the vessel should not have been.

The connection has to do with a continuing problem with Carnival corporation operational, safety policies, Officer staff and vessel designs that have lead to many many problems over the years, sinking, fires, breakdowns etc......all part of the Concordia investigation that is now also including Carnival corporation as a whole.

AKK[/quote']

Set nets are not the same as drift nets. Drift nets have been banned in most of the world, but are still being used in some areas. That said, it is unfair to be critical of Carnival because one of their ships encountered one of those nets and suffered damage.

The Splendor is a well run ship and does not belong in this discussion.

Set nets are not the same as drift nets. Drift nets have been banned in most of the world, but are still being used in some areas. That said, it is unfair to be critical of Carnival because one of their ships encountered one of those nets and suffered damage.

The Splendor is a well run ship and does not belong in this discussion.

I disagee.

I cannot find anywhere that says drift nets? I stand by my sea going exprience as a Deck Officer, to doubt why the vessel hit the nets.

Well run?...please explain the fire of last year, not to mention the heavy fines and the USCG and other maritime agencies reports that torn apart the maintance and operational standards of the splendor?

Not to mention today the destiny sailed late with her thrusters out and other mechanical problem (which I understand is a on going issue) and is now only sailing to Nassua and not Key West????....

AKK

Well we can add that the Carnival Spendor' date=' the Concordia's sister ship and famous for the engine room explosion and almost burning up the ship, is AGAIN had a major breakdown, but is underway again but very late getting into Long Beach.

Carnival Inc has real problems which are slowly being brougth to light with the Concordia sinking . Seems the more they investigate the more they are looking to Carnival's main office for the Concordia sinking and all the fires, mechcanical and other issues with Carnival Inc. vessels.

AKK/quote']

Carnival Inc has real problems which are slowly being brougth to light with the Concordia sinking . Seems the more they investigate the more they are looking to Carnival's main office for the Concordia sinking and all the fires, mechcanical and other issues with Carnival Inc. vessels.

AKK/quote']

Are there no other ships on ANY lines that have mechanical problems ?

Perhaps some logic and facts would add credence to your opinions. I see you quote your own posts for some reason.

We are talking well over the number of fires, and prtoblem, Facts.....try

Cruisejunkie.com

Read on the USCG site the reports of Spendor fire, the fact that the QM 2, which had the same electirical lay out also had a fire, yet although a Carnival owned line the crews were better trained and isolated the fire and got the fire out fast, unfortunity the Spendour did not do so well. The USCG questions were why after they knew there was a design problem with the electrical system, why had not the changes been made to the Spendour, Concordia and other Carnivail Inc. owned vessels with the same design

Hows is that for a start..........how about the Exstacy 10 years ago had a fire in the stern as she was sailing out of Miami. The USCG called the vessel by radio to tell them and the Master was arguing with the USC that his vessel was fine. The interseting part is the passingers were watching the fire on TV and the crew and officer were amazed then some turned up on deck with lifevests on". I happened to be on the docks workin on another ship when this happened.

need more?.........

Of course all lines have a problem now and then.Carnival just has lots of them!

But I will agree with you on one thing......this is way off topic, I was just trying to show you some of the problems.

My appolgy to the OP for taking the thread off topic.it ends now.

AKK

in fact the International rules of the road' date=' give the fishing boats the right of way.

AKK[/quote']

The following should help clear up your misunderstanding of who has right of way on the water.

Basic Navigation: Understanding Right of Way

The rules for who has right of way on the water have one basic purpose: to keep you and everyone else on the water safe. To do that they spell out for you who has the right of way in any given situation (the vessel which is less nimble), while at the same time making it clear that no matter what all vessels must take all reasonable measures to avoid a collision - even if it means you giving way to a vessel that ought to give way to you. The easiest way to sum this part of the navigation rules up may be this: if you can move around more easily on the water it's your job to stay out of the way of those who are less maneuverable.

The rules rank vessels by order of priority, giving the highest priority to vessels which have the most difficulty maneuvering. The ranks, starting with the highest, are as follows:

1. Not under command - a vessel which, for whatever reason, cannot control where it goes.

2. Restricted in ability to maneuver - a vessel which, because of the tasks it is doing, cannot change direction or speed easily, or at all.

3. Constrained by draft - a vessel which must stay away from shallower water to avoid running aground.

4. Vessel which is fishing or trawling (but not trolling).

5. Sailboat under sail or a boat being paddled or rowed - though as soon as the sailboat uses an engine for power it must follow the same rules as a power boat, whether or not it has sails up.

6. Power.

This means that a power boat must stay clear of a sailboat; power boats and sailboats of boats must stay clear of boats which are fishing or trawling; power boats, sailboats and fishing boats must stay clear of vessels which are constrained by draft; power boats, sailboats, fishing boats and vessels constrained by draft must stay clear of vessels which are restricted in their ability to maneuver; and all of them must stay clear of any vessel which is not under command.

The following should help clear up your misunderstanding of who has right of way on the water.

Basic Navigation: Understanding Right of Way

The rules for who has right of way on the water have one basic purpose: to keep you and everyone else on the water safe. To do that they spell out for you who has the right of way in any given situation (the vessel which is less nimble), while at the same time making it clear that no matter what all vessels must take all reasonable measures to avoid a collision - even if it means you giving way to a vessel that ought to give way to you. The easiest way to sum this part of the navigation rules up may be this: if you can move around more easily on the water it's your job to stay out of the way of those who are less maneuverable.

The rules rank vessels by order of priority, giving the highest priority to vessels which have the most difficulty maneuvering. The ranks, starting with the highest, are as follows:

1. Not under command - a vessel which, for whatever reason, cannot control where it goes.

2. Restricted in ability to maneuver - a vessel which, because of the tasks it is doing, cannot change direction or speed easily, or at all.

3. Constrained by draft - a vessel which must stay away from shallower water to avoid running aground.

4. Vessel which is fishing or trawling (but not trolling).

5. Sailboat under sail or a boat being paddled or rowed - though as soon as the sailboat uses an engine for power it must follow the same rules as a power boat, whether or not it has sails up.

6. Power.

This means that a power boat must stay clear of a sailboat; power boats and sailboats of boats must stay clear of boats which are fishing or trawling; power boats, sailboats and fishing boats must stay clear of vessels which are constrained by draft; power boats, sailboats, fishing boats and vessels constrained by draft must stay clear of vessels which are restricted in their ability to maneuver; and all of them must stay clear of any vessel which is not under command.

Well now you are correct, but the reading I had did not show the Splendour in any kind of channel, restricted manuvering area or draft restriction and you yourself said it was drift netting and had nothing to do with fishing boats, which I accepted from you as correct................now you saying it was a fishing boat?? Please make up your mind.

So please dont begin to tell me the rules of the road, I went to sea as a Deck Officer and Master for 14 years. my comment was a general one.

This one additionl incident is not the point, its the continuing accidents, incidents, many major fires,design issues and problems that the Carnival Inc. vessels have over and over agian.

AKK

AKK

now you saying it was a fishing boat?? Please make up your mind.

I did not say it was a fishing boat. Please do not misquote me.

That is not the point. You are reaching for straws to make disparaging remarks about a cruise line that is not the subject of this thread.

The integrity of these boards would be much better if we stick to facts.

now you saying it was a fishing boat?? Please make up your mind.

I did not say it was a fishing boat. Please do not misquote me.

That is not the point. You are reaching for straws to make disparaging remarks about a cruise line that is not the subject of this thread.

The integrity of these boards would be much better if we stick to facts.

Seems I am the one with facts.........you just make statments and try to twist my points........The Concordia sinking is one of many issues and problems of Carnival Inc. Carnival Inc. owns Costa. The investigation is now also including CVarnival Inc. All very on point.

The statement that Spendour is well run was the biggest, unsupported statement you have made.

We are all permited a opinion, you have no right to say only you are allowed comment by trying to shut my opinions down and dictating what can be siad and what can't.

I trying before to end this. you choose to continue.

AKK

Seems I am the one with facts.........you just make statments and try to twist my points........The Concordia sinking is one of many issues and problems of Carnival Inc. Carnival Inc. owns Costa. The investigation is now also including CVarnival Inc. All very on point.

The statement that Spendour is well run was the biggest' date=' unsupported statement you have made.

We are all permited a opinion, you have no right to say only you are allowed comment by trying to shut my opinions down and dictating what can be siad and what can't.

I trying before to end this. you choose to continue.

AKK[/quote']

Carnival Inc owns many cruise lines. What is the point you are trying to interject into the Costa problem ?

All cruise lines have problems with ships at one time or another. The Splendor has nothing to do with the sinking of the Concordia.

Carnival Inc owns many cruise lines. What is the point you are trying to interject into the Costa problem ?

All cruise lines have problems with ships at one time or another. The Splendor has nothing to do with the sinking of the Concordia.

Really...........nothing to do............let go over that................

1 They are sister ships.

2. Both had and continued to have repeated electrical failures and problems.

3. Carnival Inc. didnt seem to interested in fixing the problem.

4. There is questions in the investigated that the Concordia had electrical problem just befoe they hit the rock and during the sinking (not related to the sinking)

5. The same ship design was used in other Carnival Inc. line vessels.

Hows that for a start.

Carnival Inc has had many more problems, accidents , fires etc.........at a much higher percentage then other lines. They are being investigated for poor vessel maintaince and operations.

All these things tie into the Concordia sinking. The Concordia sinking was not just due to a foolish Captian, there are alot of pieces to that puzzle.

Now you can keep saying it not part of a overall problem with Carnival Inc operations and policy, but its not true as the many facts I have pointed out show. But if it makes you feel good...go ahead and say it. Maybe if your taking a Carnival Cruise, prepeating your thoery over and over again will make you feel safer. My family will not sail Carinval again.

AKK

Really...........nothing to do............let go over that................

1 They are sister ships.

2. Both had and continued to have repeated electrical failures and problems.

3. Carnival Inc. didnt seem to interested in fixing the problem.

4. There is questions in the investigated that the Concordia had electrical problem just befoe they hit the rock and during the sinking (not related to the sinking)

5. The same ship design was used in other Carnival Inc. line vessels.

Hows that for a start.

Carnival Inc has had many more problems' date=' accidents , fires etc.........at a much higher percentage then other lines. They are being investigated for poor vessel maintaince and operations.

All these things tie into the Concordia sinking. The Concordia sinking was not just due to a foolish Captian, there are alot of pieces to that puzzle.

Now you can keep saying it not part of a overall problem with Carnival Inc operations and policy, but its not true as the many facts I have pointed out show. But if it makes you feel good...go ahead and say it. Maybe if your taking a Carnival Cruise, prepeating your thoery over and over again will make you feel safer. My family will not sail Carinval again.

AKK[/quote']

Why, then, are you NOT ATTACKING the builder of these ships instead of the company that bought them. Carnival DID fix the electrical problems on the Splendor or it wouldn't be at sea now.

BTW -- The Splendor is sailing to Hawaii today and it has not sunk. Carnival may be no good in your mind, but they are the largest cruise line in the world, and they didn't get there by being careless and stupid.

Why' date=' then, are you NOT ATTACKING the builder of these ships instead of the company that bought them. Carnival DID fix the electrical problems on the Splendor or it wouldn't be at sea now.

BTW -- The Splendor is sailing to Hawaii today and it has not sunk. Carnival may be no good in your mind, but they are the largest cruise line in the world, and they didn't get there by being careless and stupid.[/quote']

Yes they did fix them, after the the fire that came very close to killing all onboard.They designed and brought the vessels, They are responsble for using them over that time frame.

Why do you defend them when they didn't fix the electrical problem until after the fire? Why didnt they fix the sister vessel after the QM11, when they knew of the problem.........whay do they have so many prolbems..........IE the latest the Destiny.....

They are indeed the largest, and maybe that is why they got careless and stupid.

My friend you keep going around the issues, you have not said or produced 1 fact to say I was wrong.

As I said if you want to sail Carnival.............enjoy!..............my family and friends will not!.. More and more people are starting to see the problems, they are almost giving away cruises on some runs now. ...............when the final reports are issued...........Carnival Inc. will likely fail and the lines sold off. IMHO

AKK

Yes they did fix them' date=' after the the fire that came very close to killing all onboard.They designed and brought the vessels, They are responsble for using them over that time frame.

Why do you defend them when they didn't fix the electrical problem until after the fire? Why didnt they fix the sister vessel after the QM11, when they knew of the problem.........whay do they have so many prolbems..........IE the latest the Destiny.....

They are indeed the largest, and maybe that is why they got careless and stupid.

My friend you keep going around the issues, you have not said or produced 1 fact to say I was wrong.

As I said if you want to sail Carnival.............enjoy!..............my family and friends will not!.. More and more people are starting to see the problems, they are almost giving away cruises on some runs now. ...............when the final reports are issued...........Carnival Inc. will likely fail and the lines sold off. IMHO

AKK[/quote']

NO COMMENT !!! :rolleyes:

Archived