Century Jan 18, 2013 review

Tom47

Hi

This is a personal review and may not cover all criteria of traditional reviews.

We were in room 1101, which a had a problem with the AC--much too cold. We asked our room steward to get someone to fix it several times over the first few days. For a while it was not too bad, then on the second last day of the cruise, it went haywire--thermostat was set at 80 but temp was in mid 50s. I called guest relations and they finally fixed it. The hotel director asked cc members at cc party "If you have a problem, Tell us instead of complaining on cc." Sadly, I think X's response was lacking.

Food was excellent. Our rm steward, Noel Batutay, did an excellent job, even leaving us 2 mating swan towels 1 night. Our wine stewards, Nelson Enriquez and Onur(didn't get last name) were great. Our waiter, Volkan(Volcano) and his assistant were great.

We liked the pianist Eddie Covarrubias--unlike Perry Grant he never chastised guests who did not stay for the whole performance.

We also liked the classical music trio, "The Voyage Trio", and the A Capella group Trocadero.

Ports--Cartagena We booked a private tour w. MareIvy Pena who was a fine guide, but was stiffed by 4 members of our party who did not pay. She collected money as people got off the minibus, whereas other guides collected on the bus. Her email mareIvy@gmail.com

Her tour was about 5hrs and included the fort and shopping.

Tom:)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Hi

You're Welcome

Colon, Panama--We arranged a private tour with mario mario@myfriendmario.com

The tour was CL09, $65pp, included a stop at Gatun locks, shopping and a trip to Panama City/Pacific coast. We enjoyed the tour but found Colon to be a grubby city.

Sea days--besides already mentioned music, I enjoyed lectures by Uncle Marty on the history of Panama and NASA by Lawrence Kuznetz. We also liked the shows, but the theater was on the small side, so we had to be in line by 750pm for the 830 show in order to get a seat.

Puntarenas, Costa Rica--We arranged a private tour online(same as the others) w. Ricky Ricardo, who says that he is the REAL Ricky Ricardo. Irv Rabowsky did the research for these 3 private tours and posted info on our roll call about the tours. Thank You Irv.

Ricky's tour was about 5hrs, costs $85pp and was well worth it. There was shopping, a boat ride w. crocodiles jumping out of the Tarcoles river, many birds, a rain forest walk in the Carara biological reserve national park, w. leaf cutter ants and 2 suspension foot bridges, stops to take pictures of Capuchin monkeys and scarlet macaws. When we stopped to get pictures of the monkeys, we were able to get out to take our pics. The ships tour bus that pulled in behind us kept their passengers on board.

You can see Ricky w. Liz and I in our signature picture.

Ricky was very proud of his country and said that they had a clean election unlike Venezuela. Liz and I enjoyed his tour more than any of the others.

Ricky's email rickyricardotours@yahoo.com

Hi

You're Welcome

The tour was CL09, $65pp, included a stop at Gatun locks, shopping and a trip to Panama City/Pacific coast. We enjoyed the tour but found Colon to be a grubby city.

Sea days--besides already mentioned music, I enjoyed lectures by Uncle Marty on the history of Panama and NASA by Lawrence Kuznetz. We also liked the shows, but the theater was on the small side, so we had to be in line by 750pm for the 830 show in order to get a seat.

Puntarenas, Costa Rica--We arranged a private tour online(same as the others) w. Ricky Ricardo, who says that he is the REAL Ricky Ricardo. Irv Rabowsky did the research for these 3 private tours and posted info on our roll call about the tours. Thank You Irv.

Ricky's tour was about 5hrs, costs $85pp and was well worth it. There was shopping, a boat ride w. crocodiles jumping out of the Tarcoles river, many birds, a rain forest walk in the Carara biological reserve national park, w. leaf cutter ants and 2 suspension foot bridges, stops to take pictures of Capuchin monkeys and scarlet macaws. When we stopped to get pictures of the monkeys, we were able to get out to take our pics. The ships tour bus that pulled in behind us kept their passengers on board.

Ricky was very proud of his country and said that they had a clean election unlike Venezuela. Liz and I enjoyed his tour more than any of the others.

What is your opinion on the ship, and room other than the temp? Is the ship in good condition. How was the entertainment? We don't sail on her until Sept; but I'm curious. Thanks in advance.

Gina

What is your opinion on the ship, and room other than the temp? Is the ship in good condition. How was the entertainment? We don't sail on her until Sept; but I'm curious. Thanks in advance.

Gina

We thought that the ship was in good condition. They took the wooden cover over our balcony railing(along w. others) and returned it 3 days later, newly varnished. Ship is going into drydock spring 2014. We liked most of the shows--skipped a couple, juggler was one.

Comedy--we liked Rich Ceisler, Jim Macdonald and Sean O'Shea

Music--we liked Liverpool Knights, Touch of Broadway, Kuba Kawnick, Rebecca Lowe and opening night.

Ports

Antigua--We chose self guided ships tour. Street merchants were very persistent--they just wore you down

Puerta Vallarta---We chose ships shopping and highlights tour. Merchants were more laid back and friendly. Liz purchased some clothes for grans and did not bargain. The seller brought out 2 sombreros and took our picture w. them. We did not buy the sombreros.

Cabo San Lucas.-- We chose ships tour coastal highlights, which included some shopping.

Liz thought that the whole ship was on the cool side. I was ok. She noticed many people had sweaters. Crew director said(in response to a question) that avg age of pax was 67.

We still like X and have booked a Galapagos cruise Mar 2015.

That's all unless there are more questions.

Hi

Hi Tom, thank you for the review. Can you please tell me if the tour with Ricky was a tailored tour & did it include lunch? Did you have plenty of time when coming back to the ship?

Thank you,

Carla

Hi

You're Welcome

Tom, Thank you for your review.

What do you call the circular lounger w/blue pad and white shade umbrella that you show in your photo?

Are they by reservation (fee) only? I've seen them on Celebrity ships but usually empty and "held" by a few personal articles and a towel.

You have given my day a good start. A seat in one of those loungers will be a highlight for my next cruise.

-Marisa

Hi Tom, thank you for the review. Can you please tell me if the tour with Ricky was a tailored tour & did it include lunch? Did you have plenty of time when coming back to the ship?

Thank you,

Carla

Hi

The tour w. Ricky did include lunch(paid for as part of tour price). We were back in plenty of time. He offers several tours. He has a website--google him or email him. If we ever go back to Costa Rica, we will tour w. him again, but a different tour.

The chair picture was taken aboard Solstice, on our 1st X cruise. They are 1st come, 1st taken and are very comfortable. I did not see any on Century.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi

The tour w. Ricky did include lunch(paid for as part of tour price). We were back in plenty of time. He offers several tours. He has a website--google him or email him. If we ever go back to Costa Rica, we will tour w. him again, but a different tour.

The chair picture was taken aboard Solstice, on our 1st X cruise. They are 1st come, 1st taken and are very comfortable. I did not see any on Century.

Hi

I am going to try and post a couple of pictures--1st time

1 Gatun Lock, Panama Canal

2 Capuchin monkey, Costa Rica

3 Ricky Ricardo w. us

IMG_3743.jpg.4ad160d532da5aaf6032d8a3d18facfb.jpg

IMG_3778.jpg.d18d534c3201d840cd9caf1274de4f22.jpg

1838117583_TomLizw.RickyRicardo.jpg.0f864e1fe4311cc3c2d23cf570dc108e.jpg

Archived