The amazing ELATION vacation 2/18-23,2013

jamona2311

The Amazing Elation Vacation 2/18-2/23

Ok, let me start by saying, I never thought Id be cruising again so soon. Lucky for me, when I told my mom about my Ecstasy cruise back in September she said she wanted to go on a cruise too. Actually it was more like a whine…;) hha just kidding mom…kinda. We kinda played around with some ideas and prices and next thing you know were booking the Elation for the February 18th cruise!!!! Lucky for me my DH Terry has a soft spot for me spending quality time with my mom who lives in St Paul/Az so he was very helpful in making this trip a reality.

If you read my Ecstasy review you may remember I kicked a few things off the bucket list. A warm vacation in the middle of a Wisconsin winter was checked off, yay! Actually visiting New Orleans was big on my moms BL too so it was a win/win. Hehe

Looking forward to this vacation, I soon realized that every part of it was part of the journey. I booked a roomette on Amtrak from Chicago to NOLA which included a bus from Madison to Chicago. I love the train to being with and not having to leave my car parked somewhere for a week or hope the weather was decent made Amtrak and easy choice. I also have never had a roomette so I was super excited about that too.

The 2:45 but to Chicago was crowded! One girl where I got on didn’t even have a seat till Janesville! It was a Friday night after all. We arrived right in front of Chicago Union Station right on time at 6:45. Not having to worry about luggage fees, I took two suit cases ( more for bringing stuff back) my back pack and a carryon. I checked the suitcases and made my was to the first class Metro lounge to await my 8:00 train. We were boarded about 7:15ish and I have to say the roomettes are more comfy and roomy than they look on Youtube, especially for one person. We also were served a late dinner around 8:30. Meals and showers are included with sleeping car reservations, soooo worth it.

I awoke Saturday to the sun coming up in Memphis. Not a bad nights sleep on a train, but then again I can usually sleep anywhere. Breakfast and lunch were good and I was grateful for the shower. I planned on hitting the streets right away and didn’t want to waste a moment taking a shower in the hotel first.

368.JPG

The train they call the City of New Orleans....well sorta

371.JPG

observation car on amtrak

386.JPG

395.JPG

Swamps

399.JPG

Train going around the lake before we finally get to NOLA

Cabs were waiting out side the NOLA station and it was a quick ride to the Prytania Park Hotel in the Garden district.

Wheres mom in all of this???? Well she winters in Arizona so she flew in that Saturday and was really enjoying a late NOLA lunch by the time I got there.

Prytania Park Hotel is a lovely place. Its made up of some older homes and some new construction. Outside entrances with beautiful walk ways connecting everything. We had a traditional NOLA galerie right on Prytania street with a huge tree that reached from the other side of the road! Never mind just let me post some pics here and you can see for yourself. Yes I would recommend this hotel if youre looking for a reasonably priced , off Burbon street, not your big box hotel with tons of charm! Not to mention the St Charles street car was a block away.

867.JPG

Two night shots of the walkways that led to all hotel rooms.

868.JPG

921.JPG

Photos from both ends of our galerie facing Prytania St

922.JPG

927.JPG

Spiral stair case up to the bed area. nice not to have beds in the way during the day.

933.JPG

Standing at moms bed taking a pic of mine. Oh yes memory foam Zzzzzzzzz

935.JPG

down the spiral staircase we had a armoir, couch, chair, desk, tv and bathroom. very roomy for the two of us

929.JPG

to the far right of the sink we had a fridge, micro, coffee maker. shower and toilet in the room on the left

928.JPG

Door at the end of the bathroom led to our galerie. the entrace to the room is behind me on this shot

958.JPG

More walkways between rooms. so pretty!

957.JPG

Checked in and hooked up with mom we decided to walk to dinner at Mulattes. Along the way we found Mardi Gras beads in the grass and being the dork I am I just had to grab some as an authentic souvenir for my Dds. There were still tons all over draping trees, posts, fences, everything. It was soooo pretty. I had to get some pictures.

We got to Mulattes earlier than I had planned but had a great dinner. It was a bit early for their 7:00 live music so thinking wed come back we

headed out for another walk. We found ourselves at the Riverfront Mall area. It was very pretty at night. We took a cab back to our hotel fairly early that night cause I wanted to save moms energy for Burbon Street the next night! LOL She is 67 after all and a seriously early riser. We sat on our galerie for a while I had my cigarette break and we enjoyed some Rumchatta and then went to sleep.

963.JPG

850.JPG

Mom at Mulattes with her wine, of course Im on vaca and had to go with the fruity drink

851.JPG

852.JPG

Also had to go with a plate full of fried sea food as one must in NOLA

853.JPG

Heading towards riverwalk

857.JPG

861.JPG

862.JPG

863.JPG

This stuffed bear cracks me up. we found him at the riverwalk mall. This about how we felt from food and walking and travel!

Sunday 2/17/13

The hotel has a nice continental breakfast that we took advantage of. No since in filling up on hotel food since there is plenty of NOLA cuisine to indulge in.

We took the St Charles street car to Canal street. I paid the $3 day pass and mom went with the $.45 senior discount way. I had pre planned a walking tour but we kinda went with the flow too. Heading down Burbon street first I decided much to my moms surprise to get a Manqo Daq on wheels. Like the lady behind the bar said “ its never to early for a drink in New Orleans!” haha.

We walked Burbon street for a bit and then headed down Gov Nicholls St finding the Lalaurie manion heading right on Royal Street we passed a ton of art galleries. Seeing the St Louis cathedral we headed down pirates alley and ran into the Abisenthe bar??? Really neat drink with Abisenthe, water and sugar. Its very strong and mom was worried I had overdone it this time but all was good.

We headed to the Cathedral but since it was Sunday there was a service going on so we just checked it out for a moment and headed onto Jackson Square and in serch of some lunch. We heard that Central grocery was closed on Sundays so we found another place recommended by a local guy. Café Maspero was a great alternative but what do I know it was my first Muffaletta. ;)

Time for another Café! We headed to Café du Monde. Kindofa must do for a newbie to NOLA but Im not complaining the Beignets and Café au lait were yummy and the caffeine was much needed to continue our journey. We walked the French market and did a little shopping and then walked the river on the Moon Walk. Carnival Conquest was getting ready to go and I got super excited for the Elation!

870.JPG

St Charles street car a block from our hotel

872.JPG

876.JPG

10:30 am and time for that first Mango Daq!

881.JPG

883.JPG

Lalaurie manion ( i believe) owned by Nick Cage & said to be the most haunted house in NOLA

885.JPG

Gallier House museum...closed on Sundays...poo

887.JPG

Royal street

891.JPG

If you like anise try this... Abisenthe. Its strong but worth the expeirence

892.JPG

Fountain in Jackson Sq

896.JPG

St Louis Cathederal

899.JPG

street art out side the square

902.JPG

Muffeletta at Cafe Masperos

903.JPG

Cafe Masperos

906.JPG

Gotta get a shot of some of the street performers! hha

907.JPG

Ferns and flower baskets from french quarter galeries

909.JPG

Cafe du monde

911.JPG

mom and I enjoying our treat

912.JPG

Sorry Im a sucker for old homes and just could not stop taking pictures!!!

Sorry I see no one has posted and maybe I have too much pre cruise going on but NOLA was soooo cool and I know I couldnt find enuf info on it when I was doing my reserch so Im adding it in here.

For those of you waiting for just the elation part, its coming. We boarded the next day :D

914.JPG

A picture outside the french market

916.JPG

Entertainment and a statue along the Moonwalk

918.JPG

Ok guys ive been at it all day uploading pictures, getting them in order and posting this review. Ill try to continue tomorrow night if I have time.

If you have any questions just ask! :D

Sorry I see no one has posted and maybe I have too much pre cruise going on but NOLA was soooo cool and I know I couldnt find enuf info on it when I was doing my reserch so Im adding it in here.

For those of you waiting for just the elation part, its coming. We boarded the next day :D

Keep it up Jamona, I have been enjoying the NOLA part of your review. Wonderful pictures. My wife and I sailed her last March just after Mardi Gras and loved it.

I didn't want to interrupt you or the readers by commenting.

Kevin C

I live in NOLA and was just loving your review and how much you were loving New Orleans. Husband and I are leaving on the Conquest in 12 days so enjoying any review leaving out of there. Can't wait to read and see the rest.

Hey jamona2311, I am going to follow along so I can relive my cruise as well! Love your pics! Sorry I missed meeting you, I did meet cruisegrammy49 waiting to get off the ship Saturday morning.:)

Sorry I missed meeting you as well. I did go to the cc meet n greet and met cruisegrammy n wildberry. Grammy did tell me she finally met you :) hope you had a great time too!