Posted May 20th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Last edited by Travel R; May 20th, 2013 at 02:05 PM
I was thinking about purchasing this for my upcoming cruise, but waiting to first see a thorough review. My DD is 8 1/2, and is starting to come out of the the Barbie phase (she is in 3rd grade, and most of her friends have stopped playing with them, however, she skipped a grade and her friends (the same age) in 2nd grade are still playing with them. Loooking at the link to the review of the comped Barbie Experience, the girls seem to be closer to the 5-7 age. The idea sounds like it may be fun for her (and my DW), but I do not want to shell out all that money for something that may be geared towards kids younger than her. However, it really should not matter what age your kid is, as long as they will enjoy it. A good review from parents with different aged kids would be a big welcome here.]
I will also be on a very port-intensive cruise. We will be doing a lot of excursions and DIYs in various ports each day and sometimes towards the evening (only one sea day in this itinerary). I also do not want to have to worry about conflicts between exploring a port vs. having to worry about getting back to the ship in time for a Barbie event. We will also be in the Mediterranean - and who knows when we (or the kids) will be back to any of these places. [A review from someone that has a port-intensive cruise that discusses when the events were scheduled would be helpful here.]
Since it will be a Med. cruise, who knows if the ship will get 5 other girls to sign up anyway.
$350 is a bit hefty for this (IMHO). For instance, why not have a cupcake party + the decorations + a doll for under $100 (kid + adult). [To compare something simimarl, the day package at American Girl with meals for 2 is $260, plus doll salon & picture - and you get back half of that towards the purchage merchandise - still not cheap, but a bigger bang for you buck.]
If anyone sees any new reviews, please post a link.
Our Sea Adventures:
- COMING: Baltic Capitals (June 2017, out of Copenhagen): Getaway (NCL) [Roll Call - Who's Joining Us?]
- Nova Scotia/New Brunswick (Aug. 2015, out of NYC): Carnival Splendor (CCL) [All Things Splendor] - [Review]
- W. Mediterranean (July 2013, out of Rome): Legend of the Seas (RCI) [All Things Legend of the Seas] - [Review]
- Bermuda (Oct. 2009, out of Bayonne): Explorer of the Seas (RCI)
- California/W. Mexico/Baja Peninsula (Aug. 2003, out of Los Angeles): Monarch of the Seas (RCI)
- E. Caribbean (Aug. 1997, out of Miami): Empress of the Seas (RCI)
- W. Caribbean/E. Mexico (March 1996, out of San Juan): Royal Majesty (MCL)
- Bahamas (1991, out of Ft. Lauderdale): Discovery Sun (DCL)
A cruise it be, and no matter how lousy, fun shall still be had by my family and me.