The Fun Shop of Horrors nightmare wasnt over...

Davey Wavey

So, more info on dealing with the Fun Shop jewelry store on Carnival Legend:

My original post

Two weeks after returning the ring and pendant, the company (Starboard Cruise Services), called to say they had the merchandise but needed the sail date, ship and room number to process the refund. "Carnival won't give us this information." Another 3 weeks passed. I called my bank to ask how long to wait before filing a dispute. They asked for copies of the warranty, tracking info, and details of contacts with the company. They issued a credit right away and sent a chargeback to the company. Apparently, some companies try to hold up refunds until the 30 or 60 day dispute period has passed. Another 2 weeks went by when the company called to ask about the chargeback. She said they had no information about me or my purchase or any return. In her words, "And if you returned something to us, where is the merchandise?" I told her I provided the tracking info, store receipt, return form, and info about their previous call to my bank. She put me on hold for a minute and then came back...now suddenly aware of me and my purchase...and said, "You need to call your bank and cancel the chargeback. We processed your return just this morning. You should see a credit on your statement today or tomorrow. So, call right now and cancel the chargeback. Goodbye."

Obviously I wasn't going to cancel anything, especially since a credit from the company would resolve and cancel the chargeback. That was 2 weeks ago now and no credit has ever shown up. I am SO glad I used that Chase sapphire card with their good customer support and SO sorry I ever bought something expensive like that from a cruise ship jewelry store. I will share this with Carnival about their vendor and warn everyone I can to just be very careful in buying expensive stuff on the ship with the potential for having to deal with problems remotely. I am guessing and hoping this was an exception to how they deal with problems.

I dont have a problem spending money on little things, like a 10 dollar purse or t shirt, no way would i spend a lot of money that isn't going back into my community's businesses. That said, my 10 purse started unraveling upon second use, and the stone fell out of my watch after 3 months. The clothing I have ordered in advance came in two sizes too small, so no, except for a coffee mug, my money stays in my wallet. Thank heavens you have a decent credit card company.