Sapphire Beach - Owner Barricades to prevent public to enter

Feelin' Nauti'

I was initially thinking about a Celebrity excursion to Sapphire Beach for my upcoming cruise & literally days ago the excursion disappeared from Celebrity's site as an option. Now I see why...totally makes sense now!

The reason is the person renting the dive center and restrooms closed up a couple months ago so there are no public restrooms or ereltans available there. The real reason takes longer to describe but this is the situation at the moment. But still a gorgeous beach and food and drink options. You just need to like plopping down on your towel in the soft sand under the seagrape trees and relieving yourself of the rum punches in the sea :D

I was initially thinking about a Celebrity excursion to Sapphire Beach for my upcoming cruise & literally days ago the excursion disappeared from Celebrity's site as an option. Now I see why...totally makes sense now!

They have plywood with "private property, no trespassing" signs and yellow "restricted area" tape blocking off the taxi drop off area.

The owner clearly wants Sapphire Beach private for the unit owners or renters :(

Chairs seen on the web cam were bought by the owners of the condo

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com/

Actually, the area blocked off does not belong to the condo association. The person who owns the common property (the parking lot and reception building) does not want people on *his* property. Nauti, this whole thing is very complicated and sad to all. You may only be seeing the situation through your viewpoint.

P.S. You may access the beach by the water, also if you walk down from the road. No one has to provide you a place to park, although many condos and hotels do provide a few places for day visitors.

Edited by O2B@Cagain

Feelin Nauti the beach is not private and can be accessed in different ways. if interested in the sordid history of the condo property since the '90's you can find accurate info from Beautiful Bill onnTA, he was an original owner, board president, and still owns there.

I'm sure many owners are happy to have fewer ppl on the beach, but many want the old place back with the restaurant and pool bar. Maybe if they can settle the dispute...

Thank goodness I read these posts. Months and months ago I researched which beach was the best for music, food, drinks, chairs, snorkelling from shore , calm/pretty water etc. and Sapphire Beach seemed to call my name. Now I don't think it is the best choice- no chairs, bathroom and I am not sure where exactly you have access to the beach. I think I got rid of my old notes.

What would you say was a close 2nd. and what are the pluses of that beach? I could go a read through other posts again, but we leave in a week and I am booked most nights with other obligations so suggestions would be definitely welcomed.

We always consider Secret Harbor #2 after Sapphire. Nice small bay with calm water and good snorkeling, a real restaurant and a dive center. Limited chairs so do get there early, and shade may not be available for day visitors depending on how busy it is. It's not Sapphire, but I'm sure you will be very happy there.

Here's a thread with brief descriptions of the STT beaches if you want to look st Coki or another spot.Coki is gorgeous but will be a much livelier vibe.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1993432

We just returned from a cruise and it was great getting out of this sub-zero weather and enjoying perfect weather and water down 'i'lan way, I'm sure you will enjoy the same. Happy cruising!

Edited by blue_water

Thanks for the info. Read that Coki has a deep drop off so a little concerned about going there. If the only issue with Sapphire are bathrooms that were in the dive centre and chairs it still seems like a great place.

Not sure why the taxis drivers are so against taking you there

Thanks for the info. Read that Coki has a deep drop off so a little concerned about going there. If the only issue with Sapphire are bathrooms that were in the dive centre and chairs it still seems like a great place.

Not sure why the taxis drivers are so against taking you there

Sapphire currently lacks public restrooms and a dive/rental center. But the beach is gorgeous, and if you can be happy with your towel in the soft sand under a seagrape or palm and relieving yourself in the sapphire-colored water if need be you will be rewarded with a wonderful day in paradise.

There are food and drink options, the Banana Cabana serves a great mahi mahi sandwich and cold beverages.

Drivers have always tried to get us to go to Coki mainly because they have friends and relatives vending there. Other properties may have another relationship with them to attract tourists.

Sapphire has never been as crowded as Coki and Magens and promises to be very nice now.

If we decide to go to Sapphire will it be a short/ short walk from where the taxis can drop us off.

If we go to Coki where should we get dropped off so as to be close to good food drinks--it sounds like it is livelier there---does that mean beach bars/ music or just more crowded?

If we decide to go to Sapphire will it be a short/ short walk from where the taxis can drop us off.

It's not a long walk but could be a problem for someone with mobility issues. If you have to walk back to the entrance that will be uphill.

If we go to Coki where should we get dropped off so as to be close to good food drinks--it sounds like it is livelier there---does that mean beach bars/ music or just more crowded?

There is one entry and you'll be dropped there, very close to the beach. Most drivers will offer to help you find a spot and have their friend there wait on you with chairs and drinks. Coki is a very small bay and although there are no beach bars there are several vendors. And being a small bay it does get more crowded. But the vibe is just more lively with music and people.