Katakalon 'fun train'

Mrs.Murphy

Does anyone have information about the cost of the fun train in Katakalon and also e schedule (or at least start and finish time and length of a round trip to/from the port?)

Also does it stop near the cruise port?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi. I took the fun train and can give you a few estimates as I'm going purely on memory. I can be definite on location. It is approximately 5-10 mins walk from the port. If you follow the crowds along the main street with all the shops, it stops right at the end. There is a little grassy area with a kiosk in the middle selling tickets.

Now memory could be playing tricks but I think it was around the 6euro mark and they came every 20mins. The round trip if you didn't get off at the vineyard or beach was around 40-50mins. We found it very pleasant and wished we had got off the ship earlier so we had more time to enjoy the two stops.

I saw this on the MSC board. Hope it helps.

"Another suggestion for Katakalon is the little tourist HOHO (road) train. Think it was just €6. It goes through some quite nice countryside and has it's first stop at a winery. It then goes onto a very scenic bay where you can also get off for a while. Seemed to have some nice bars and restaurants as well as a lovely beach. I didn't get off anywhere myself - just stayed on for the round trip as it was later in the day before I decided to go on it.

When you come off the ship, just walk through the small town and you'll see a ticket stand for it.

There really isn't much to the town, just 2 main streets really and a few side streets plus quite a few nice waterfront restaurants and cafes. Some quite nice shops if you hunt around. I found a great jewellers selling beautiful Greek opal (very vivid turquoise) at a reasonable price.

There's also a beach you can go to. Just turn left when you come off the ship ratherbthan right into town."

Edited by luv2vacation

We stopped in Katakolon last summer and decided that we did not want to go to Olympia. There is a "Tourist Train" or hop-on-hop-off tram that rides on the road for 6€. It really only has 2 stops, St. Andreas Beach and Mercouri Estate Family Winery. Trams come every 30 minutes or so. The beach has 2 sections; a public beach and a resort beach. Both sides have beautiful water and have some large natural rocks. They both have sun loungers that you can use for free, you may need to order a drink. We got to the beach about 11:00am and all the loungers were taken. We met a couple who got there at 9:30am and got 2 prime loungers right on the water. We only stayed at the beach about 30 since we did not have a seat, but everyone there seemed to be having a good time. The winery was very nice and they will give you a tasting of as many of their wines as you want. They have several for only 7€ a bottle. They also have house made olive oil that was only 3 or 4€ a bottle and it is great! In addition to the tram tour, and the 2 stops, we walked around the town and had a drink and snack at one of the water-front cafes. It was a really nice relaxing day! I will try to post some pages of the Tourist Train Brochure, it has been a while since I posted any photos on CC.

Thank you both so much! That is exactly what I was looking for and sounds perfect to me. We are traveling to Amsterdam and Paris before the cruise out of Venice so this sounds like a more relaxing day which I am sure we will be ready for. ;)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds like it may appeal to me for a pending cruise next April. Is the fun train seasonal (i.e. will it be operating as early as April 10)? I didn't see a reference to this in the brochure.

Katakolon is a nice relaxed stop - we used the train last year to get to the winery which was lovely and very peaceful. We visited in April and the train did stop running at 2pm so make sure you find out the times when you get on!

After the winery, we went into the small town and had a walk round the shops and had lunch at the waterfront area - it was a nice, chilled out day and my fiance's first introduction to cruise stops so didn't want to overface him straightaway! He really enjoyed it - we didn't want to do Olympia as we had already had a few days in Rome and were also visiting Ephesus later in the cruise.