We're back from the Valor Eastern, 7/3

OC Mom

I came down with a nasty cold/flu on the flight home and have been feeling pretty bad. I will write a very detailed review in a couple days when I'm feeling better. The micro-mini review to tide you over.....

Ship was beautiful and very clean, never a prob with dirty tables at Rosies like I read about, service was okay but not great, food was very average (except for Scarletts), new beds and linens were great, balcony was awesome, formal pics were great, CD Josh Riffe was excellent, 80's show was super fun, islands were so much fun, customs at St. Thomas was awful (got off the ship close to noon), debarkation was super easy (20 minutes total).

One thing I have to point out if you are traveling there before I write my complete review; you have to go to Orient Beach on St. Martin, get chairs (blue and white stripes) in front of Friendly Bar (next to the Paradisio Bar), they are $12 for 2 chairs, one umbrella, a little table, and two drinks. You have to ask for Ludwig, a young, blonde Frenchman to assist you. He was amazing! He catered to us like it was a five star resort. He even brought beers out to us in the surf when he saw we were low, he walked me to the restroom (free passes if you rent chairs with him), gave us free sample shots, watched our stuff when were were in the ocean, and arranged for our watersports for the best prices and least hassle. He was so friendly and helpful. He made our day!:D

I'll also post pics soon.:)

Thanks for your review. Hope you're feeling better and looking forward to hearing more about your cruise.

Thanks for the great tip about Orient Beach. We've been there twice and had a great time.

My husband and I cruise 7/31 on the Valor; our kids are away at camp. Can you tell me if there is an adult only pool on the Valor?

Thanks.

RCI Adventure of the Seas 2/05

Carnival Miracle 7/04

CCL Constellation 2/04

RCI Voyager of the Seas 2/02

Disney Magic 2/01

Regarding the pool questions... all pools are salt water, but DH thought they were very clean and filtered so that they felt like fresh water. There is supposed to be an adult only pool, but there were usually kids in all the pools and spas. The only certain way to avoid kids is to go to the whirlpool (jacuzzi) that's part of the spa and fitness center. It's a cool place with a fake rock wall/cave look with a tiny waterfall. It is enclosed under a glass dome. The only problem is that it closes at like 8 or 9pm. We ended up going to the outdoor aft spa. It was a great place to meet people (we had a dinner table for only 2) and we had a view of the port city or ocean out the back, which was all glass.

Regarding the pool questions... all pools are salt water, but DH thought they were very clean and filtered so that they felt like fresh water. There is supposed to be an adult only pool, but there were usually kids in all the pools and spas. The only certain way to avoid kids is to go to the whirlpool (jacuzzi) that's part of the spa and fitness center. It's a cool place with a fake rock wall/cave look with a tiny waterfall. It is enclosed under a glass dome. The only problem is that it closes at like 8 or 9pm. We ended up going to the outdoor aft spa. It was a great place to meet people (we had a dinner table for only 2) and we had a view of the port city or ocean out the back, which was all glass.

I was on Carnival Valor 7/10/05 and I found the fitness center wonderful. I went inside of the spa in the fitness center and it was great. There is a steam room and a sauna in the fitness center and there is a side for womens and a side for men's. the treadmills have televisions and I thought that was a nice plus for working out. I went in the adult's only pool and it is at the back of the ship by the pizza place. We had 7 children jump into the so called "adult's only pool" and someone in the pool told the kids this is adult's only and they all left. but, I don't think the crew of the Valor pays attention to the adult only pool because I saw children in the pool a lot.

I was in the Washington Dinning Room (at the back of the ship) and our maitre'd was omurion (he was really nice!). I enjoyed going to the togo sushi bar everyday at 5:00 PM before dinner. They had vegetable sushi and that's what I had everyday. They had carrots, cucumbers, hot sauce, and soy sauce. The sushi bar was wonderful and one of my favorite parts of the ship. The cruise director was Josh Riffe and the captain was Agostino Fazio......but most people would call him Captain Fazio! I got my picture taken next to him during the captain's party. I think Josh Riffe was very funny and I enjoyed the repeater's party.

We had the platinum card (it was silver) and I believe the platinum card was for 10+ cruises. We really didn't get anything extra and we had a catergory 12 suite. So, ten plus cruises and a suite and they didn't really give us anything. They only had concierge service if you joined the "Carnival Vacation Club"...........You had to be obligated to take the next 3 cruises on Carnival and we didn't want to take the next cruises on Carnival. I found too much advertisement.........in the fitness center the fitness instructor sold vitamins for 600 dollars! I don't really like the Carnival Vacation Club.......it's just another sales pitch. We are going on Royal Caribbean next year, Carnival :p

Well, overall I had a great cruise and it went by too quick. I wish I was still there. :( I'm going on Freedom of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) and we get concierge service on Royal Caribbean..........that's one of the reason we go on Royal Caribbean.

I was on Mariner of the Seas in July 2004 and I was on Navigator of the Seas in July 2003. I went on Carnival Pride in July 2002. So, it's nice to change around from Royal Caribbean to Carnival but my opinion is that I like Royal Caribbean better...........

Well, that's all.........it's just my opinion and what I found out from cruising on Carnival vs. Royal Caribbean. Sorry so long.....;)

Archived