Carcross Passport Stamp

TinCan782

I've heard people ask about the passport stamp at Carcross. Here is mine from Wednesday, July 16, 2014. Its not official and you do it yourself across the street from the tracks in Carcross. There are two to choose from...I used the caribou, my wife a bear. We were on the Pearl that week and took the Bennett Scenic Journey through Chilkoot Tours. Beautiful day and a wonderful variety of scenery to view during the 65 mile trip.

1767710895_CarcrossStamp.jpg.022bff2cec69aaebdd0bb0efdbced2b6.jpg

This has probably been mentioned, but The Yukon Department of Tourism has a tourist passport (Explorers Passport they call it) where you can stop at various places and get the stamps like you have above. It is part of a contest where if you get 10 stamps, you can enter a drawing for some gold.

For most people on a cruise,I doubt they can get 10 stamps (I think there are 2 or 3 in Carcross). We didn't get 10, but our kids thought they were cool all the same.

We got ours at the Watson Lake Visitor Information Center, but I'm pretty sure you can pick them up at the Carcross Visitor Information Center too.

here is the link to the program:

http://www.tc.gov.yk.ca/explorers_passport.html

I am thinking I read somewhere that because these are not official passport stamps, the US State Department frowns on folks stamping their actual passports with these stamps. Is that correct?

I plan on getting the stamps, but am going to just do it on a small piece of paper that I will slip in my passport.

I am thinking I read somewhere that because these are not official passport stamps, the US State Department frowns on folks stamping their actual passports with these stamps. Is that correct?

That's correct - that's why the Carcross Post Office quit doing it. The Matthew Watson Store, where the stamps are now, started doing it because it was so popular - the post office ones were better, though, especially since they were applied beside a postage stamp.

I plan on getting the stamps, but am going to just do it on a small piece of paper that I will slip in my passport.

That's correct. Getting an unofficial stamp in your passport invalidates it. Getting them on a separate piece of paper is a better idea.

That's correct. Getting an unofficial stamp in your passport invalidates it. Getting them on a separate piece of paper is a better idea.

So do they frown upon it or does it invalidate the passport? There is a big difference. I did stamp mine and DH passports!

So do they frown upon it or does it invalidate the passport? There is a big difference. I did stamp mine and DH passports!

Open up your passport and read the section titled, "Alteration or mutilation of passport."

Open up your passport and read the section titled, "Alteration or mutilation of passport."

Yes, and also "Only government officials US or foreign may place stamps"...

So what do I do? Has that ever been enforced? There was a long line of people stamping passports!

I'm sure it's been both enforced and ignored.

If noticed, probably a pretty low level infraction under the terms "Alteration or mutilation". My passport will be expired and renewed before it will become an issue anyway.

The Skagway and Poker Creek border crossings will stamp your passport with these unofficial stamps, so it obviously doesn't invalidate them - http://www.explorenorth.com/articles/images/alaska-passport_stamps.jpg

One thing has nothing to do with the other. The reality is you are only supposed to have official stamps in your passport. Someone would have to notice these stamps and probably be having a bad to actually do anything about it.

If you have one or two, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not sure why getting these stamps is important, but if you like them, maybe getting another type of book in which to collect them would be safer.