QM2 Queen level vs. regular balcony

Tehdeebear

Is it worth the extra thousands of dollars to get a Q level suite on Queen Mary 2 for a 7 day transatlantic? A regular sheltered balcony is coming in at about 3700 dollars whereas the Q6 level is 9700 minus some shipboard credits. Princess level isn't available on the sailing I need. Any opinions? We've cruised 15 times but never in a suite. Also, based on the photos I've seen of the sheltered balcony, I'm wondering if the sunny side of the ship is better or worse on a transatlantic. The photos make it look like a metal box with a cutout window, so would it get too hot with the sun on it? On the other hand without the sun, it might seem dark, even with the balcony. I may be wrong about this. It's just what I'm imagining. I have a few days to choose port or starboard, if I decide on regular balcony, so thanks for your replies. (Going Westbound).

For a WB transatlantic you will want a port side stateroom for sun.

Sheltered balconies on decks 4-5-6 are just as you describe them. I've not stayed in one but some absolutely love them. It's not possible to see the sea when seated. But people who enjoy reading out in the ocean air, with some protection from the wind, actually prefer them to those on 8 and 11. Your dining will be in Britannia at first or second sitting, with the last dinner orders taken thirty minutes after dinner has been announced.

If you book a Queens Grill you will have a much larger balcony with padded teak loungers instead of upright chairs. How much use you get will depend upon the weather and how you spend the daytime. You will have a much, much more room and a larger bathroom with a Jacuzzi. You will also dine in the Queens Grill restaurant where you can show up anytime the doors are open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and get full service. A valuable perk of the Grills is ordering off menu and the level of attention is far, far, better than in Britannia. Grill guests can also use the deck 11 terrace, and the Concierge Lounge on 9. If you need land arrangements upon arriving in NY that's what the Concierge is there for.

Whether these advantages are worth the extra money is something only you can decide. The Grills restaurants are far more intimate and the same table mates are together for all three meals.

One final perk. On embarkation day Grill guests can have lunch in the Grills restaurant - no dealing with the Kings Court buffet which is a legend in itself but not in a good way.

For a WB transatlantic you will want a port side stateroom for sun.

Sheltered balconies on decks 4-5-6 are just as you describe them. I've not stayed in one but some absolutely love them. It's not possible to see the sea when seated. But people who enjoy reading out in the ocean air, with some protection from the wind, actually prefer them to those on 8 and 11. Your dining will be in Britannia at first or second sitting, with the last dinner orders taken thirty minutes after dinner has been announced.

If you book a Queens Grill you will have a much larger balcony with padded teak loungers instead of upright chairs. How much use you get will depend upon the weather and how you spend the daytime. You will have a much, much more room and a larger bathroom with a Jacuzzi. You will also dine in the Queens Grill restaurant where you can show up anytime the doors are open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and get full service. A valuable perk of the Grills is ordering off menu and the level of attention is far, far, better than in Britannia. Grill guests can also use the deck 11 terrace, and the Concierge Lounge on 9. If you need land arrangements upon arriving in NY that's what the Concierge is there for.

Whether these advantages are worth the extra money is something only you can decide. The Grills restaurants are far more intimate and the same table mates are together for all three meals.

One final perk. On embarkation day Grill guests can have lunch in the Grills restaurant - no dealing with the Kings Court buffet which is a legend in itself but not in a good way.

This is all great info and here are a few other tidbits - The Grills lounge on 7 offers a nice intimate and relaxing afternoon tea with a great selection of teas, and some really nice special treats (regular tea in Britannia class is in the Queens Room - the ship's large ballroom); There are also some nice private concerts (strings, piano, etc.) in the same lounge after dinner.

In Q level you get a nice bar set up in your suite with 2 bottles of the alcohol of your choice for mixing drinks, plus all the bottled water, sodas & mixers you could want, as well as some nice canapes every night before dinner.

Just little extras, but nice. The off-menu ordering mentioned above is particularly enjoyable - especially when it comes to desserts, for me anyway.

As was mentioned above - only you can decide if it is worth it, I have sailed both in-hull (sheltered) balcony as well as QG. I didn't mind the in hull balcony really, especially during inclement weather, but the cabin size and scope of amenities keeps me going back to the Grills.

• 2 weeks later...

On a nice day, if you are on the sun deck for the grills, a cart will come by with ice creams, as well as the later cart with tea. Sun block and tanning lotion are provided at a table by the door.

The dining menu in Queen's grill is much more extensive than at the other levels, plus they are happy to prepare flambeed dishes, pastas, and Caesar salad table side. You have the same table assigned to you for all meals, no one is going to be sitting at your table but you (or your party of 8, if that's what you've requested).

The 2 bottles in our sateroom bar are replaced every time they are getting low. The bath has a separate shower and jetted bathtub.

I wouldn't say the canapes are great, but it's still nice that they are brought to you each evening.

Should you desire to have a small cocktail party, the butler will set it up and serve.

The Grills lounge has several different newspapers printed for us in the lounge, in addition to having one of your choice delivered daily to your room. You also receive that day's menus delivered to your stateroom each morning.

Your butler can be asked to unpack for you. I've not done that, I want to know where things are.

it will not get one off the ship any faster at ports except the final one. It does not entitle you to think you can ignore the cue at the launderette and think you don't have to wait like the others (but it's fun when someone tries to claim such a privilege).

It does not entitle you to think you can ignore the cue at the launderette and think you don't have to wait like the others (but it's fun when someone tries to claim such a privilege).

Do Grill passengers really use the launderette?

As with other questions asked here and as put by a previous poster, only you can decide.

If money is no object go for the Grills, but if the fact that you could have another cruise by choosing Brittania is important to you...

Is food a big part of your cruise would be another consideration and would all the little extras add much to your enjoyment. Do you want a butler?

It's worth remembering that the bulk of the ship is open to all. Very different than in days of old when first class meant just that and lower grades (steerage is taboo here it seems) were not given free range as now.

David.

On QM2 there are no launderettes on Deck 9 - the main QG deck. Presumably it was expected that anybody paying QG prices would use full service laundry.

As with anything the expense verus value ratio is highly individual. The choice of having one vacation in premium accommodations verus two vacations in standard accommodations is something only you can decide. (Those who have the money don't have the time and vise versa.)

I have noticed no laundry on Deck 9.

There's laundry one deck below the QG suites - my husband uses it frequently. Silk dresses or blouses & such, yes, but who on earth would dry clean their work out clothes & PJ's?

In addition to dry cleaning the ship does offer full service wash/fold/press laundry. Getting my undies back nicely folded in a bag along with my bras and slips on hangers is something I'd love to get used to. It's been my experience that they do a nice job of pressing silk dresses as well as cotton shirts. (Your mileage may vary.)

As somebody who deals with an NYC apartment house laundry room in everyday life I won't deal with shipboard laundry room wars while on vacation. (But that's just me.)

That would be true for the top levels of QG suites. We did not read the fine print and learned an expensive lesson.

I don't understand. QG suites have a bath and shower except the Q7 HC suites which have an adapted shower for wheel chair users. What was missing that failed to meet your expectaions for the money?

I don't understand. QG suites have a bath and shower except the Q7 HC suites which have an adapted shower for wheel chair users. What was missing that failed to meet your expectaions for the money?

It's been 5 or 6 years since I've been on the QM2 (in Q5 or Q6 cabins on Deck 9). Those cabins had shower/tub combos (not separate shower and tub). I was surprised they weren't separate -- they are on the QV and QE.

Maybe the QM2 QG bathrooms have been retrofitted since then?

Unrelated question: Does the QM2 still offer Canyon Ranch amenities in the bathrooms?

It's been 5 or 6 years since I've been on the QM2 (in Q5 or Q6 cabins on Deck 9). Those cabins had shower/tub combos (not separate shower and tub). I was surprised they weren't separate -- they are on the QV and QE.

Exactly. QM2 bathrooms have not been changed. This is a big reason we pass on QG vs PG. Tub walls are very high.

Unrelated question: Does the QM2 still offer Canyon Ranch amenities in the bathrooms?

QE and QV are almost "sister" ships built in Italy according to the same basic design. QM2 is a unique ship built in France. Their configurations are therefore quite different compared to each other.

The PG and QG toiletries are now Penhaligon.

It's a question that you can only answer for yourself based on value-for-money.

If you're a devout foodie/gastronome, like plenty of cabin real estate, would prefer to visit a 5* hotel with all the trimmings, then QG is for you. But beware ..... going back to the normal world can seem a disappointment for some and things may never be the same again.

If you are happier to stay in clean, tidy budget hotels, consider some fancy sauce on your steak a special treat and would rather have two or three holidays for the same money, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with a balcony cabin.

Anywhere on ship other than in the restaurant or in your cabin everything else is pretty much exactly the same.