Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old August 16th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm loving this review - I can always use a chuckle or two. Our family is considering this trip and every review I read is pushing me toward booking!!!

11/15/13 NCL Gem another CTN
4/9/12 Triumph from Galveston
1/28/12 NCL Gem CTN
4/4/10 Pride Bahamas & Florida
4/1/07 NCL Dawn Extreme Southern
4/15/06 Liberty to Panama
6/14/05 Triumph to Nowhere
3/26/05 Triumphant Voyagers Cruise
4/10/04 Easter aboard the GLORY

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

The giant screen TV is propped up on the front of the topless deck, yet the amazing thing is that because the speakers are directional, you can't hear it. On the Lido deck it sounds like God giving instructions to the Hebrews from Mt. Sinai.

BnB,

Your reviews are absolutely terrific. Even if I was not planning to go on the 9/6 Liberty, I would find them entertaining. Are you a writer by profession?

Thanks so much, and I look forward to the rest.

Amy

Old August 16th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

The night you spent in Venice, was there a set time when you have to be back on the ship?

And thanks for this wonderful review!!! I totally enjoy reading it!

Old August 16th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Questions answered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LH_05
The night you spent in Venice, was there a set time when you have to be back on the ship?

And thanks for this wonderful review!!! I totally enjoy reading it!
There is no set time to be back on the ship overnight. You may hang out all night at Harry's Bar if you want to and then sleep in San Marco Square with the rat birds and the derelicts. Yes, there ARE derelicts, and at about every church we encountered a beggar or two outside the doors.

BnB

Old August 16th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Questions answered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmom
The giant screen TV is propped up on the front of the topless deck, yet the amazing thing is that because the speakers are directional, you can't hear it. On the Lido deck it sounds like God giving instructions to the Hebrews from Mt. Sinai.

BnB,

Your reviews are absolutely terrific. Even if I was not planning to go on the 9/6 Liberty, I would find them entertaining. Are you a writer by profession?

Thanks so much, and I look forward to the rest.

Amy
Not by profession but I've had a few things published, both non-fiction (political history) and some poetry.

Glad you're enjoying the review.

B

Old August 16th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Venice

What a wonderful review ! - Thank you so much ! - Question about Venice
(hope this doesn't sound too silly) -

Previous posters have said that THE side of the ship to view Venice is the PORT side) - in your review you mentioned the
STARBOARD side -
I originally had a room on the STARBOARD side of the ship - changed to the PORT side after reading posts (not going until October 06 - so still a few rooms to choose from)
SHOULD I CHANGE BACK TO THE STARBOARD SIDE ?

(Sounds like the view of Venice is a MUST SEE from the ship)

THANKS !!

Old August 16th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Great review. Wondering if we will have the samd CD when we go on our cruise to the eastern Caribbean in December. John sounds fabulous.

Carnival Jubilee June 1996
Voyager of the Seas June 2001
Sea Princess January 2002
Carnival Elation June 2002
Carnival Pride December 2003
Monarch of the Seas March 2004
Carnival Liberty December 2005
Regal Princess June 2006
Dawn Princess November 2007
Carnival Pride November 2008
Carnival Spirit 2010
Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas 2011
Carnival Breeze November 2013
Carnival Miracle March 2014

Old August 16th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Sat. 8/6 Murano Island

We arose very early on Saturday, had a quick breakfast and got off the ship again. Our intention for today was to go to Murano in the morning, get to Lido Island by around lunch time in order to find the house my mother-in-law grew up in; and then check out Peggy Guggenheim's home which was turned into a modern art museum.
However, we've learned from travel experience to simply go with the flow, and if something is missed, it is then a reason to go back.
It wasn't St.Marks Square, or the Rialto bridge, the back streets and alleys or even the quality of the light that made us fall in love with Venice; although any one of those would have been sufficient. It was Murano that stole our hearts. Murano is quiet, small, even by Venetian standards and out of the way. There are no overwhelming crowds of tourists and hardly any rat birds. I've been in love with glass art for three decades and Bobbi has also picked up the habit. Murano is the holy grail of glass art, and some of the means of producing certain shapes and color patterns are still closely held family and guild secrets.
If you are familiar with the American glass artist Chiluly, and love his organic creations then you will understand what it is about Murano. Chiluly went to Murano to study from the true masters.
Moreover, Murano glass is not just the trinkets, little animals and clowns sold in the tourist stores. There are very complex sculptures in the galleries and the upstairs rooms (you will be invited there if you are a serious collector or a potential buyer of something other than the usual items), some of which take months to design, execute and complete. Some sculptures require a month to simply cool down before they can even be touched.
We purchased a work which recalls a snail operculum; shimmering colors of brown, blue, yellow and clear in an oval mounted on a stand. It will arrive in about a month. That was it for our expenses set aside for purchases, but it was well worth it.
Yet it was not just the glass, it was also the unhurriedness of the place, the found streets, and the way commerce is done. It was the fruit and vegetable vendors picking selected items out of their boats and handing them to the customers in their own shopping carts, while chatting away with their friends. It was the lack of clocks; and the lack of advertisements. It was a place where time forgot to move ahead about a hundred and fifty years.
Everyone you pass says hello; everyone invites you in to see something of which they are particularly proud. You don't have to buy it, you just have to like it. "Before you leave, you must stop at the bar on the other side of the Ponte Vivarini", the sales manager of the glass works told us, "they have the best Espresso in Venice". It was also a nice place to watch the world literally float by.
We stopped at another glassworks in Faro, where one of the masters had fun making one of those rearing horses (think the Lone Ranger) in about 30 seconds. We timed him. He'd been working with glass for almost 50 years. One is only permitted to do certain pieces as the experience grows, and it is a long apprenticeship. We saw two other pieces which just blew me away, and thanks to the DW I was kept from temptation (and bankruptcy :-).
By that time it was already about two in the afternoon, so we skipped Lido, and headed back to the main area around St. Marks.
On the way back, the Vaporetto goes past the town cemetery which is on a separate island in the lagoon. I wondered if everyone there is above ground the way it is in New Orleans, so as to avoid "floaters". I never thought to ask about cemetery tours there, but then that can wait.
We did purchase a few other souvenirs. Two T-shirts saying "Venezia", and a chef's apron with the torso of David in all his glory on the front. She's daring me to wear it to the next barbeque. I will. I've got nothing to hide.

By around 3PM my legs simply wouldn't move anymore. This time we took the #4 express back to the ship. The #4 was fairly empty, it being midday on Saturday. Some woman with a southern accent yelled at me - "DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH!!!!????" Uh, yeah, and I'm also not deaf.
She wanted to know if this was the Vaporetto back to the ship. Yes.
We struck up a bit of a conversation and learned that her drunken cruise on a private yacht to the Caribbean a few weeks prior was so much more fun than this, and besides the kids weren't with them. She was upset because she lost her husband and son in the crowd, and so she and her daughter decided to head back to the ship. Whatever. She asked if we saw "anyone", as there were George Clooney citings since we left Civitavecchia. I told her we saw Penny Marshall but not Rob Reiner. "I don't like Rob Reiner" she said, "he's way too radical". I asked how so, and she said, "you know....".
I told her I thought he was actually a bit too conservative.
That was the end of that conversation.

My legs were looking very forward to the fun day at sea on Sunday.

Sun 8/7 FUN DAY AT SEA

Well, pretty much the same as the first fun day. I wasn't about to do anything uplifting such as read that Pulitzer Prize winning history book I brought along. I knew I shouldn't have brought it because I felt guilty having read only seventy five pages the whole trip. I did however feel good about having mastered the IPod shuffle my sons got me for Fathers day.
So we lay out on deck somewhere away from Big Brother, listened to the music, drank spiked lemonade, napped, went to the Spa, and before you turned around it was time for dinner. What an exhausting schedule.
I think the hairy ape contest or something was being held near the pool, as well as a water ballet contest and fun dancing with Chuck or someone. We skipped all of those and instead heard about the free champagne at the "Art" auction. If you need me to tell you why I put that in quotes I will.
The champagne was cold and went down easy. The next thing I remember is Monday.

BnB

Old August 16th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Which side is up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccliff5
What a wonderful review ! - Thank you so much ! - Question about Venice
(hope this doesn't sound too silly) -

Previous posters have said that THE side of the ship to view Venice is the PORT side) - in your review you mentioned the
STARBOARD side -
I originally had a room on the STARBOARD side of the ship - changed to the PORT side after reading posts (not going until October 06 - so still a few rooms to choose from)
SHOULD I CHANGE BACK TO THE STARBOARD SIDE ?

(Sounds like the view of Venice is a MUST SEE from the ship)

THANKS !!
Yeah, it's silly, but so what. Remember in school when you were told "there are no stupid questions"? They lied.
Now I think port is left and starboard is right. Ok, in landlubber terms, the best view is on the right side if you are facing forward (towards the bow). However, this should not be a deal breaker. You are always free to go up to the top decks with everyone else, you know. Actually the higher up you are the better the panorama. That's where the panorama deck got its name.
We actually went to the "crew only" area, and it took them awhile to clear about two hundred of us from there. They were nice about it. We just played stupid.

B

Old August 16th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Great Review !

[QUOTE=BillnBobbi]Yeah, it's silly, but so what. Remember in school when you were told "there are no stupid questions"? They lied.
Now I think port is left and starboard is right. Ok, in landlubber terms, the best view is on the right side if you are facing forward (towards the bow). However, this should not be a deal breaker. You are always free to go up to the top decks with everyone else, you know. Actually the higher up you are the better the panorama. That's where the panorama deck got its name.
We actually went to the "crew only" area, and it took them awhile to clear about two hundred of us from there. They were nice about it. We just played stupid.

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE TO MY 'STUPID' QUESTION !!
THEY ARE GOING TO THINK I AM NUTS AT CARNIVAL IF I SWITCH MY ROOM AGAIN TO THE OTHER (RIGHT, I THINK THIS TIME) SIDE OF THE BOAT (OOPS, SHIP) AGAIN !

GREAT REVIEW - KEEP IT COMING.......

Old August 16th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Awesome review!

It sounds like the ship docked in venice at a different pier than in the inaugural cruise (july 20)...from what I read they were a few blocks from St. Mark's....or I could be going a little crazy. Was it a different place that you docked?

Old August 16th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Docking In Venice

Quote:
Originally Posted by floofyfish
It sounds like the ship docked in venice at a different pier than in the inaugural cruise (july 20)...from what I read they were a few blocks from St. Mark's....or I could be going a little crazy. Was it a different place that you docked?
OOOOHHHH - SO THAT'S (MAYBE) WHY THE INAUGURAL CRUISE FOLKS SAID THAT THE PORT SIDE WAS THE BEST 'VIEW OF VENICE' SIDE -
AND LATER CRUISE FOLKS SAID THAT THE RIGHT SIDE WAS THE BEST

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE INAUGURAL CRUISE DOCKED AT A SPECIAL DOCK - ONE THAT IT WON'T NORMALLY DOCK AT ? SEEMS TO ME I MIGHT HAVE READ THAT SOMEWHERE...

THANKS TO ALL LIBERTY CRUISES (BOTH INAUGURAL AND LATER) THAT TOOK THE TIME TO WRITE SUCH INFORMATIVE, WONDERFUL REVIEWS !!

Old August 16th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Bill, my former husband (also a Bill) is editor of an aviation magazine . . . reading your posts reminds me so much of how he writes . . . you really make one feel as if they are right there with you. Fantastic review and I don't doubt for a minute that you are posted (having written for publications).

They actually had grits for breakfast in Europe? Yeah! Sure hope that is so on my Caribbean cruise next April on Liberty. I'm with you on the giant TV screen on Lido . . . sounds like a great idea for evenings (playing first run movies . . . as they do on long distance plane flights) but during the day? I can't imagine watching CNN or any other news program (unless I want to do so in my cabin). This is a vacation . . . a cruise . . . I want to hear happy things while lounging on the deck of a big, beautiful cruise ship . . . like a band playing or watching silly games. And if you can't even hear it . . . what's the point?
Just my opinion . . . I'm sure many enjoy it.

Keep the reviews coming . . . the best I've read on Liberty's Med cruise. Question . . . which of all the many lounges on Liberty was the most intimate? I'm traveling solo but I loved the cigar bar on Celibrity's Galaxy because it was so small and private (like an old fashion "gentlemans" lounge) . . . really got to talk to and meet some very interesting people in a laid back, quiet and relaxed atmosphere.
Celebrity's Galaxy 10/2003 - Western Caribbean
Carnival's Triumph 4/2005 - Western Caribbean
Carnival's Triumph 9/2/2006 - Western Caribbean
Carnival's Pride 1/7/2007 - Mexican Riviera
Carnival's Valor 4/27/2008 - Western Caribbean
Carnival's Liberty 1/10/09 - Eastern Caribbean
Carnival's Freedom 9/6/09 - Western Caribbean
Carnival's Dream 1/9/10 - Western Caribbean
Carnival's Pride 9/26/10 - Eastern Caribbean

Last edited by ladycaveat; August 16th, 2005 at 06:20 PM.

Old August 16th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Questions Answered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladycaveat
Bill, my former husband (also a Bill) is editor of an aviation magazine . . . reading your posts reminds me so much of how he writes . . . you really make one feel as if they are right there with you. Fantastic review and I don't doubt for a minute that you are posted (having written for publications).

They actually had grits for breakfast in Europe? Yeah! Sure hope that is so on my Caribbean cruise next April on Liberty.

[Answer: They didn't have them every day, and I liked them better than the homefries which were the preformed frozen kind - like tater tots on steroids.
Well, grits and polenta are first cousins, so maybe that was why. If you are in the Western Caribbean leaving out of NOLA you'll definitely have grits, but ask for Gree-Yuts :-) ]

I'm with you on the giant TV screen on Lido . . . sounds like a great idea for evenings (playing first run movies . . . as they do on long distance plane flights) but during the day?

[Answer: It's on ALL DAY LONG. If it isn't something with the CDs then it's music videos. I especially detested the news in the AM blasting out over breakfast.
We used to like having breakfast outside on the lido deck but this was a real deal breaker in that regard. I sent in a complaint on their suggestion card at the end of the trip, but I'm sure they'll ignore it in as much as the GenXers around here think it's "AWESOME". I hate that word almost as much as I hated the stupid Big Brother. ]

I can't imagine watching CNN or any other news program (unless I want to do so in my cabin). This is a vacation . . . a cruise . . . I want to hear happy things while lounging on the deck of a big, beautiful cruise ship . . . like a band playing or watching silly games. And if you can't even hear it . . . what's the point?
Just my opinion . . . I'm sure many enjoy it.

Keep the reviews coming . . . the best I've read on Liberty's Med cruise. Question . . . which of all the many lounges on Liberty was the most intimate? I'm traveling solo but I loved the cigar bar on Celibrity's Galaxy because it was so small and private (like an old fashion "gentlemans" lounge) . . . really got to talk to and meet some very interesting people in a laid back, quiet and relaxed atmosphere.
[Answer: The most intimate lounge appeared to be The Empress Lounge, but I never saw anyone in there. It's done out in Crimson and has a fake fireplace.
The Karaoke lounge looked pretty intimate - It was set up for jazz combos.
The Cabinet - which is the cigar lounge is also very nice, but I wouldn't call it intimate. ]

Bill

Old August 16th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccliff5
OOOOHHHH - SO THAT'S (MAYBE) WHY THE INAUGURAL CRUISE FOLKS SAID THAT THE PORT SIDE WAS THE BEST 'VIEW OF VENICE' SIDE -
AND LATER CRUISE FOLKS SAID THAT THE RIGHT SIDE WAS THE BEST

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE INAUGURAL CRUISE DOCKED AT A SPECIAL DOCK - ONE THAT IT WON'T NORMALLY DOCK AT ? SEEMS TO ME I MIGHT HAVE READ THAT SOMEWHERE...

THANKS TO ALL LIBERTY CRUISES (BOTH INAUGURAL AND LATER) THAT TOOK THE TIME TO WRITE SUCH INFORMATIVE, WONDERFUL REVIEWS !!
Here is the link for the ships in port for Venice and where they will be docking. Of course, everything can change but the Inaugural and the sailing early September - arriving in Venice around the 10th- dock near St.Marks- R7M -the rest of the Liberty ships would be in the MARITTIMA.
http://www.vtp.it/pages/calendario/ricerca.jsp

Old August 16th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Bill, thank you so much for answering my post . . . especially so fast. About the big screen TV . . . I know those that have grown up with TV (especially within the past twenty years) . . . will probably love this new addition to Carnival. As a "child" of the 50's (I'm 58) . . . sitting in front of a tiny black and white screen with my family was very exciting. But now . . . it's so common place as not to be "exciting" any more. It's a very personal thing but I just don't think watching TV (or not watching it but having it towering over me) while sitting out in the sun in the middle of the ocean (or Caribbean) is something I would like. Having not yet been exposed to Liberty's big screen TV . . . I have no idea what it will be like. But watching TV is not something I care to do on a cruise. Can everyone hear it? What is the sound level? Is there anywhere (with a pool and sun) that one can do where they are not exposed to this big screen TV?
Celebrity's Galaxy 10/2003 - Western Caribbean
Carnival's Triumph 4/2005 - Western Caribbean
Carnival's Triumph 9/2/2006 - Western Caribbean
Carnival's Pride 1/7/2007 - Mexican Riviera
Carnival's Valor 4/27/2008 - Western Caribbean
Carnival's Liberty 1/10/09 - Eastern Caribbean
Carnival's Freedom 9/6/09 - Western Caribbean
Carnival's Dream 1/9/10 - Western Caribbean
Carnival's Pride 9/26/10 - Eastern Caribbean

Old August 16th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am in agreement with the TV, in fact they can trade the one from my room for a good stereo so I can listen to some good ol' Buffet and Clapton!! Thanks Again Bill for your cruise review!!

Old August 16th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Liberty Cruise Review - Mon.8/8 Messina, Sicily

"Heel and toe and Heel and toe,
Heel and toe and away we go."

As dawn broke, we approached the Strait of Messina, with the toe of Italy on starboard and the soccer ball of Sicily on the port side. The city of Messina is a working port, and there were several commercial vessels near us as we approached the dock. The gap between the mainland and the Island looks as if it could easily be connected by a bridge, but although there are plans on the books, it hasn't been done yet. It probably has to do with the fact that the entire area is sitting right on a fault line not very far from an active volcano. Messina was leveled back in 1908.

Because of those factors, Messina is very low profile architecturally, and frankly not very interesting. I suppose it was just a convenient place to put the ship so as to see Mt. Etna. I think in retrospect I would have preferred if we had gone to Palermo, where most of the cruise ships dock, but that will have to be for another trip.

At any rate, we opted to take the ship arranged tour of the mountain village of Taormina combined with the excursion to Mt. Etna. Our guide on the air-conditioned bus (just about all of the Greyhound-like buses appear to be Mercedes-Benz) was very informative. Although we were on one bus or another almost half the day, seeing both sites was well worth it.

The large excursion bus arrives at a bus stop in Taormina where everyone gets out and goes on special buses for a five minute ride to the top of the mountain upon which it rests. The road is very narrow, similar to the ones on Capri, and the chasses need to be made a special narrow grade to negotiate the turns. These buses all stop at a designated area at the top in the center of the town, and from there we walk. The only motor transportation in Taormina are Vespas and mini-cars (REALLY MINI, I'd like some of those things over here, but they probably don't meet emission standards or crash tests.)

Everything in Taormina is uphill, until of course we are ready to leave. We have about an hour and a half there. First stop is the public toilets at the base of the Greek theater ruins. No toilet seats. Gee, what a surprise. At least they were free. I asked the tour guide why there are no seats and she mumbles something unconvincing about hygeine. Well at least all the tour guides in Italy have their stories straight. There was this little guy smoking a black bent stogie by a gift stand. I was going to ask him but then thought better of it. ( " Daaah-dahdahdah- da- dadah, daah-dahdahdah - da -dadah...." - Sorry couldn't resist...)

The Greek theater is still used for concerts and a modern stage with large blue speakers on each side gave a strange contrast to the pre-Christian ampitheater. There are no modern seats; one sits on either wooden platforms or bare stone. There is graffiti, which I found upsetting until I remembered that graffiti is an Italian word. Once the Romans took over from the Greeks the ampitheater went from showing boring Greek plays to humans battling wild animals and other humans. Broadway has gone through a similar transition, but these things have a way of evening out over time.
Now there are rock concerts at this theater in the sky. Can't wait for Mt.Etna which is so prominent in the distance to get angry.
The view from this vantage point is nothing short of majestic. (Dare I use the word "awesome"?) From behind the cheap seats, the eastern triangle of Sicily simply appears to rise out of the sea like the back of Poseiden.
We leave the ruins and go down the single lane street lined on both sides with tourist trap shops. There is a cute little boy in one of the stores "helping" his sister and his grandmother to sell the trinkets. We picked up some bracelets and necklaces made out of lava stone for our young adult children. Got the grandson a Pinocchio marionette, and a T-shirt with the Sicilian sun god on it. Took care of everything. Of course, there was more GELATO. After the requisite shopping for stuff, we all got back on the mini-bus, went down to the regular bus and departed for lunch in a quaint Sicilian village some where. (Dah...dahdahdah...da dahdah...)
We had a quaint lunch with three hundred other fellow tourists at the Sicilian equivalent of Mama Leone's; except that the food was way better than the Manhattan toruista trap. The family who owns the place prepared all the food themselves. It was humble but delicious. We had two kinds of pasta - One was a carbonara with eggplant, the other was an alfredo type with julienned slivers of zucchini and carrots. Everything was prepared fresh including the bread. The house wine was a nice chianti (hold the fava beans) which was preservative free, and went down as easy as cold water.
No one was in any particular rush, except for our tour guide who told us we had to press on to Mt. Etna.
Now, venturing up onto the largest volcano in Europe is truly awesome. Here the word is appropriate. You do not go all the way to the top, because that cauldron is still active. There are numerous inactive cauldrons on the mountain and we all stop at the one conveniently next to a restaurant and gift shop. The volcanic soil is colored with iron, copper and sulfur, it is red,green and yellow and the area at which we stop is almost as barren as the moon. There are some few hardy low growing plants breaking through the young soil, but that's it. The ground has the texture of rough sandpaper and it has a way of sticking to everything.
The most puzzling thing was why young women insist on going EVERYWHERE in flipflops, especially on top of a volcano rim in which the floor of the cauldron is about three stories down. Some had the "good sense" to walk around barefoot. Here the overused Irish word "Brilliant" comes to mind.
The tourists are given enough time to walk around, do the photo ops, and of course, use the toilets in the gift shop and buy the requisite volcano themed souvenirs. Everything is made of lava. We bought a bottle of some strawberry liquer, because we were told it is like drinking fire. The bottle is way to funky in a tackytouristy way to bother opening. There's a toy donkey cart on the top, and the bottle is surrounded by that black pebble soil. When it all falls off on the den floor, we'll get around to drinking the stuff.
We get back on the bus and take the hour and a half ride back to the ship. Like Lucky Luciano once said, "you have breakfast, go play the horses, drink a little wine, and the day is shot."

BnB

Last edited by BillnBobbi; August 16th, 2005 at 07:25 PM. Reason: change word

Old August 16th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Liberty Review: Tues 8/9 FUN DAY AT SEA

Notice how with Carnival there is never a MISERABLE day at sea. Every day at sea is a fun day. And it is. Good for Carnival.

This is the last of the fun days at sea until our next cruise so we make the most of it. We sleep till about 10:30 and miss breakfast. I remember showering somewhere, go up to the funnel deck to further improve the tan, miss lunch and then decide that nutritious is the following: Corned beef and pastrami on rye, pepperoni pizza, hotdog with relish, large plate of fries, and five glasses of lemonade. Fortunately the sea was calm that day.

I read about five more pages of that history book I shouldn't have brought. I find out why the Cortez was a killer. Back to the Ipod.

The DW and I spend the remainder of the afternoon turning into prunes in one of the hottubs, and having a pleasant conversation with a twelve year old American who is unaware what the capitol of the US is.

True conversation:

"So, what country are you from?"
"I'm American."
"Where do you live?"
"New York City" (DW is an asst. principal)
"Do you know the capitol of New York?"
"Albany?"
"That's right!" "So how come you don't know the capitol of the US?"
"It's too far away."

Kid's been watching Big Brother too much.

The second "formal" is that evening. I absolutely refuse to put on a tie, and dress like my old idol, Don Johnson. No one cares.

Tommorrow - Barcelona.

BnB

Old August 16th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy Big Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladycaveat
Bill, thank you so much for answering my post . . . especially so fast. About the big screen TV . . . I know those that have grown up with TV (especially within the past twenty years) . . . will probably love this new addition to Carnival. As a "child" of the 50's (I'm 58) . . . sitting in front of a tiny black and white screen with my family was very exciting. But now . . . it's so common place as not to be "exciting" any more. It's a very personal thing but I just don't think watching TV (or not watching it but having it towering over me) while sitting out in the sun in the middle of the ocean (or Caribbean) is something I would like. Having not yet been exposed to Liberty's big screen TV . . . I have no idea what it will be like. But watching TV is not something I care to do on a cruise. Can everyone hear it? What is the sound level? Is there anywhere (with a pool and sun) that one can do where they are not exposed to this big screen TV?

Hey, a soul mate the same age as me!!! Peanut gallery!!!!I'm with you on this all the way. The sound level is close to shattering in directly in front (meaning you cannot have polite conversation without raising your voice).
Yet, as I stated earlier, there are many places on the ship that you can hide.
Just find deck space away from the center and you will not see or hear Big Brother. I noticed plenty of folks doing that. I suppose eventually for the kind of cruise experience we want we'll have to get on a Crystal ship or a Radisson. I don't mind the people antics at all - the contests, the goofing around - but I really find the giant screen very very weird.

Bill