Avalon Affinity ship?

Cobbie48

We are cruising on the Avalon Affinity July 19-31, 2015. This ship was launched in 2009. We are in an Aquarium room.

Wondering if anyone has sailed on her lately and can talk about the rooms, especially the bed.

We sailed on the Expression when it was brand new and the bed was awesome.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Karen

HI Karen! We were on the Affinity in an aquarium room in 2012. We thought the beds were extremely comfortable and were happy with everything about the ship. The crew was great, food was good and ship was very nice. Their decor is very simple - kind of Scandinavian, which we like. Bathroom was really great with nice sized glass shower. I would be happy to answer any specific question if you have them. It was 3 years ago, and not really recently like you asked, but I am sure it is still really nice. Have a great trip!

Good news all around. Sounds just like the Expression on which we sailed in 2013.

On which river did you sail? After a couple of days in Munich, with a visit to Neuschwanstein and Oberammergau, we sail from Passau. We go on the Main then the Rhine. I'm excited to see the castles in the Rhine and Heidelburg. We also plan an excursion to Rothenburg.

62 days till departure!

We did the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel. It was in April, so spent a couple of days in Amsterdam to enjoy the unbelievable tulips and a couple of days on the end in Zurich/Lucerne. The Rhine is beautiful, but it was cold and wet, so you should have much better weather. Going thru the Rhine Gorge, we were the only ones on the sun deck. We thought we could warm up and dry off later, how often do you get to see that kind of scenery. From the warm toasty lounge it is just not the same! The German cruise director was impressed with our fortitude!

I was on the Affinity in 2009 when she was brand new, which was prior to Avalon introducing their upgraded bedding. The new bedding is much nicer!

I never thought of the decor as Scandinavian but it is typical Avalon: modern and functional.

We love Munich and have visited a half dozen times.

Have a great trip!

I was on both the maiden voyage of the Affinity and on a cruise last year on the Affinity. The beds are awesome. The ship is modern and amenities are great.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I sailed on the Affinity 14-21st May - this was the week one of the engines broke down (we were going downstream so had enough power with one engine).

Answering your original question, the rooms are OK but a bit cramped at the end of the bed, there's a dressing table at the end with a chair - this meant I had to climb over the bed when my partner was applying the slap-stick!!

The bed was comfortable and the engines very quiet.

We did have MANY problems on the voyage which I won't go into here as I'm still trying to get some reasonable compensation.

Most of the staff were good at their jobs - I noticed the stairs to the restaurant were cleaned every time we went down for a meal. A bit too enthusiastic with the "have a great excursion" being said to us every time we were going out (at least we didn't hear "have a great day").

Excursions had a special group for slow walkers so the rest of us could go at a normal pace. They also went in a separate coach from us.

Terry

We were on the Avalon Affinity, sailing May 7, 2015 from Amsterdam to Basel. I thought the bed was very comfortable, and I'm a little fussy about beds. There was no top sheet--just a duvet, but if you ask they happily make up the bed with one. The chair at the desk at the foot of the bed was a little bit in the way, but not a big deal. Bathroom was fine, and shower was bigger than ocean-going cruise ships I have been on. We had a great cruise, staff was great and I enjoyed all the ports. Heidleberg was a great stop. Enjoy!

Have manage to get enough compensation from Avalon to book a Danube cruise mid October - just hope the weather is fine. It's on Illumination, one of the newer boats with the bed facing the window (no damn chair at the end of the bed).

Watch out for the 'happy hour' at the bar, this can save a lot of money when you combine it with the 'cocktail of the day'

If you get a chance to do the galley tour it's worth while (just to see the cramped space they have to serve those wonderful meals in).