Pride of America 8/13 pros & Cons

alinnj

Pros::D

*3 night pre stay at Marriott Wiakiki Great!

(super large & clean rooms)

*I thought all the food was very good including the buffet! grade B

*Transfers from room to ship flawless.

*Quick check in time at dock.

* The room was larger than I thoght it would be, and is ok for two!

*Room was perfect after the first night (minor problem of no tissues and dirty glasses with food stains and water)

*Tendering at Kona very orderly and fast.

They are trying very hard to please you.

* Great looking ship!

Cons::eek: All minor for a new ship!

*Same sheets on bed all week.

*Problems with engine (1st port two hours late, later in Kauai left ealy and never saw the coast line) I was told by an engine room person that there were problems and that there were welders aboard for 3 weeks?

* No towels when getting off at Kauai. I was told that the laundry was piled up below and that they were having a hard time keeping up with it?

* No hot water or air for several hours one morning (7 AM) power failure?

* Most of the 5th floor near the Jefferson Bistro stunk of sewage for 3 days because of a backed up ladys room. I was told by a person cleang that this has happened numerous times.

*Average wait of 2 hours + for dinner.

* Certain parts of the ship had fuel smells.

* Poor selection of merchandise with no specials or sales on various days like other ships.

* Bottles of alcohol are not available for purchase. Shots must be ordered one at a time making a bottle ( per shot) worth about $150. A quart bottle of water from the bar cost $4.50.

Overall: Had a great time. It was an easy way to see the islands. If I returned I would do a land package. IMO once is enough cruising the islands.

Hey Al!!!..I would agree with everything u said....we basically had the same experiences as you did...altho our sheets were changed often....our steward was good.....my daughter had been awake the night of the power failure....said parts of the ship were black, others were ok....was very disappointed not sailing the Napoli coastline...was told there were propulsion problems..we are on deck 10 aft and u could see the wake of the ship from behind was different from each side of the ship...we ate late for the most part so dinner was about 90 min long....we are kinda slow anyways.....there was definitely a problem with the restrooms on deck 5..made the mistake of entering them one day...yuck! We had a great time ...but most of the time we were off the ship...Hawaii was amazing.....I agree..wouldn't cruise the islands again....would do a land trip...and not because the cruise wasn't good....just would like more time to explore....could not figure out the restaurant screens...said they were empty but then told a 40 min wait..even tho the screens said no waiting time.....did get a credit for drinks the afternoon we were supposed to cruise the coast...if I would have known I would have drank more....!! BTW..was that you putting your luggage into a pickup about 2pm? We were waiting for our ride and I saw the jersey plates and someone say..see ya Al....Glad u enjoyed your trip....

Thanks for your observations. I like bullet points. It's easy to read and direct and to the point.

Cons:*Same sheets on bed all week.
Can I ask why this is a con? I keep the same sheets on my bed at home for a week. Sunday is wash day for sheets. If you're the one sleeping on them, why do they need to be changed throughout the week? Just curious why this is a con. Not saying you shouldn't want your sheets changed.

"Can I ask why this is a con? I keep the same sheets on my bed at home for a week. Sunday is wash day for sheets. If you're the one sleeping on them, why do they need to be changed throughout the week? Just curious why this is a con. Not saying you shouldn't want your sheets changed."

On the second morning when we had room service, I had a spill on the sheets when I tried to pass at the bottom of the bed toward the veranda. The same juice and food stain remained all week. I cleaned it the best I could.......:eek:

Hey Al!!!..I would agree with everything u said....we basically had the same experiences as you did...altho our sheets were changed often....our steward was good.....my daughter had been awake the night of the power failure....said parts of the ship were black, others were ok....was very disappointed not sailing the Napoli coastline...was told there were propulsion problems..we are on deck 10 aft and u could see the wake of the ship from behind was different from each side of the ship...we ate late for the most part so dinner was about 90 min long....we are kinda slow anyways.....there was definitely a problem with the restrooms on deck 5..made the mistake of entering them one day...yuck! We had a great time ...but most of the time we were off the ship...Hawaii was amazing.....I agree..wouldn't cruise the islands again....would do a land trip...and not because the cruise wasn't good....just would like more time to explore....could not figure out the restaurant screens...said they were empty but then told a 40 min wait..even tho the screens said no waiting time.....did get a credit for drinks the afternoon we were supposed to cruise the coast...if I would have known I would have drank more....!! BTW..was that you putting your luggage into a pickup about 2pm? We were waiting for our ride and I saw the jersey plates and someone say..see ya Al....Glad u enjoyed your trip....

Hi Deb, wasn't me! Glad you also enjoyed your trip..............

On the second morning when we had room service, I had a spill on the sheets when I tried to pass at the bottom of the bed toward the veranda. The same juice and food stain remained all week. I cleaned it the best I could.......:eek:
Ah...that makes very good sense. Thanks!

My husband and I will be on the Pride of America the week of 9/10 thru 9/17. I have not seen anything about the "formal evening." Is there one and is it worth taking formal clothes at all?

We are planning this trip as an anniversary celebration and looking forward to it very much despite the somewhat negative reviews.

VFJ:)

Was the $10.00 per person service charge being collected on this cruise, or was tipping left to individual discretion?

Yes on your final bill 10 bucks person will be charged or 70 bucks for the week per person. Child under certain age is 5 bucks. We had charges removed, your required to sign a simple form at front desk. We tipped on our own to the crew who desrved it.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Guess this same problem continues?

Problems with engine (1st port two hours late, later in Kauai left ealy and never saw the coast line) I was told by an engine room person that there were problems and that there were welders aboard for 3 weeks...............

Archived