start or end in Prague

Donray

Does anyone know a river cruise that either begins or ends in Prague? No one that that has pre or post bus trip to Prague.

Several cruises will begin or end in Prague, but they don't dock there. IME , as Valley Girl said, the only boats on the Vlatava are sightseeing day and dinner cruises.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Oh that certainly would be nice because I'm not looking forward to the ride from Prague to meet the ship. Our Avalon cruise "starts" with a couple days in Prague. We are going a week early to spend some time enjoying the city and the surroundings and get over jet lag.

Oh that certainly would be nice because I'm not looking forward to the ride from Prague to meet the ship. Our Avalon cruise "starts" with a couple days in Prague. We are going a week early to spend some time enjoying the city and the surroundings and get over jet lag.

Good plan...you will love Prague!!!

Both are on our list of things to do :) I've been many times to Prague but the last time was in the late 80's when I was stationed in Germany in the Navy. My husband has never been so he's a Europe Virgin :) I'm excited either way.

Both are on our list of things to do :) I've been many times to Prague but the last time was in the late 80's when I was stationed in Germany in the Navy. My husband has never been so he's a Europe Virgin :) I'm excited either way.

Gonna be wonderful...prepare to be hooked on river cruising!!! :D

Already am and I haven't even left yet.

OP:

I would suggest trying to do what we are doing. Fly into Prague a few days ahead of the start and then join the group later. You are going to have a bus ride to pick up the cruise but at least you get to enjoy Prague first and then get over the jet lag.

We did three days pre cruise (with the cruise line) on our first trip to Prague and three days post on our 2nd. We preferred the post and also were much happier with our personal choice of hotel.

Both trips we reserved time with a private guide who was wonderful and really enhanced our experience.

Does anyone know a river cruise that either begins or ends in Prague? No one that that has pre or post bus trip to Prague.
While there is a bus involved, most Elbe River cruises start or end in Melnik which is only about 20 miles from Prague. But the Elbe probably has the most unpredictable water flow of any river cruise. However Saxon Switzerland, Dresden, Berlin and of course Prague all get top marks, so IMO worth the gamble.

Two other typical ports for Prague, Nuremberg and Linz, are roughly 3 hours from Prague.

Thom

Already am and I haven't even left yet.

OP:

I would suggest trying to do what we are doing. Fly into Prague a few days ahead of the start and then join the group later. You are going to have a bus ride to pick up the cruise but at least you get to enjoy Prague first and then get over the jet lag.

I would agree with Rebel.... fly into Prague a few days ahead that way you're relaxed and on European time when you join the cruise and it's very easy to find a guided tour in English....there's got to be 50 of them in a row in the Main Square and they range from buses to private limos.....one of them even has an old coupe deville Cadillac!!! I would suggest staying at the cruise hotel if it's convenient and affordable because them you won't have to worry about meeting up with the rest of the group. I don't think it's much of a bus ride...but then we went from Prague to Bratislava and then to Budapest, so I can't swear to it.

We took a cruise that ended in Passau and had our Prague guide pick us up at the dock, drive us to Cesky Krumlov and then on to Prague. Nina was a fantastic guide that we used for three days. Check out her website:

ninapragueguide.com

Two other typical ports for Prague, Nuremberg and Linz, are roughly 3 hours from Prague. Thom

Hi, Thom,

Next month, on the Viking Var, We are taking the pre-cruise with Viking, Nuremberg to Koln, staying in Prague for 3 days. I have read on CC that Prague is 2 hours on coach from Nuremberg. However, I called Viking and the agent said it is 7 hours. I don't believe her (probably a new agent). :eek:

Thom, Have you been on this coach ride from Prague to Nuremberg and how long did it take? Thanks for your help! ;)

Hi, Thom,

Next month, on the Viking Var, We are taking the pre-cruise with Viking, Nuremberg to Koln, staying in Prague for 3 days. I have read on CC that Prague is 2 hours on coach from Nuremberg. However, I called Viking and the agent said it is 7 hours. I don't believe her (probably a new agent). :eek:

Thom, Have you been on this coach ride from Prague to Nuremberg and how long did it take? Thanks for your help! ;)

By car it's 3 hours, by bus maybe a little more. Certainly not 7 hours unless there's some kind of highway catastrophe!

Edited by Hydrokitty

By car it's 3 hours, by bus maybe a little more. Certainly not 7 hours unless there's some kind of highway catastrophe!

Ours was 9+ due to an accident on the highway. :(

Some lines do make a stop enroute so that could explain the 7 hours as well.

Ours was 9+ due to an accident on the highway. :(

Some lines do make a stop enroute so that could explain the 7 hours as well.

I didn't take that into consideration....It's about 185 miles, but of course if you stop for a brief walking tour and lunch, that could easily add 2-3 hours....I also didn't figure in bathroom stops. So perhaps 7 hours is more accurate than the 3 it would take driving yourself. Assuming there's no accidents of course. :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

No, I have done that specific route, my numbers coming from Mapquest. I have done Prague to Linz (with Grand Circle) and we spent 7-8 hours including a stop for a home hosted lunch and several hours in Český Krumlov. So the Viking rep MIGHT know what they are talking about (or might not:cool:).

Thom

Hi, Thom,

Not sure what you mean by coach but we did a bus ride directly from Nuremberg to Prague and it was about 3.5 hours. Very, very clean on board this double decker bus. Bathroom on board was much better than what you'd find on an American bus. I would highly recommend it