Back From 5/30 Voyager to Canada

We had a wonderful time. True, the Port of Bayonne wasn't running too smoothly, but some signs could have taken care of that problem.

If they had signs up telling you what lane to get into before you reached baggage unloading and signs that showed where you would need to park and explaining that you had to drop off luggage first and then go around and park, things would have been fine. The rest of the embarkation was very smooth and quick.

It was a great vacation! If anyone has questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

<font color=#000FF>
Jan from New Jersey

Celebrity - Caribbean - Twice
RCCL - Alaska, Caribbean
Holland America - Panama Canal and South America

Future:

Royal Caribbean - Canada - May
Celebrity - Back to back Caribbean - Oct. 2004
Princess - Back to back Caribbean - Feb. 2005

Would you answer the following for me please:

What time did you actually board the ship?

Was there any kind of "sail away" activity on the pool deck area?

Did you have dinner in the dining room the first night? With "open seating" did you have a problem being seated?

Did you spend any time on deck during the days at sea? Was it warm enough to sit by the pool area? Did you use the pool at all?

Were there any activites on deck during the days at sea organized by the Cruise Director's staff?

How was the evening entertainment?

Do you remember the name of the Cruise Director?

What did you think about the quality of the food? Was there a surcharge for eating at Johnny Rockets?

Thanks...sorry that I posted a lot of questions, but you did say you would be glad to answer any questions....THANKS

Kimberly
Monarch of the Seas 4/02
Disney Wonder 11/02
Adventure of the Seas 10/03, 3/04
Voyager of the Seas to Canada 9/5/04

"Girl's Getaway" on Mariner of the Seas 11/7/04

Hi Ready to Travel and Adventure Girl

Here goes!

We arrived in Bayonne about 4:30. There was a long line of cars due to the ship's late arrival in port. GET IN THE MIDDLE LINE to drop off your bags if you're driving. Then go around and get in the right-hand lane to park.

We boarded around 6 p.m. Returned to Bayonne around 7 a.m. and we left the ship at 11:15 a.m. We were driving so we were in the later groups to get off.

They did have a "sailaway" but we didn't go so I don't know where it was located.

We did eat dinner in the dining room the first night - open seating. No problem getting seated. They had designated hours that they would be serving.

People were laying out around the pool, but most were dressed. (The last day was very windy, foggy, cold, so people stayed indoors mostly). I went in the pool on the last day, but it didn't feel warm enough to me, so I went in the hot tub. The hot tubs got alot of action every day. Mostly children were using the pools. The pools were heated.

They did have a few activites on deck.

We enjoyed the evening entertainment. The ice show is especially nice, but go early to get a good seat.

There were two production shows done by the RC singers and dancers, the ice show, the Platters, and a couple of comedians. A couple were late night shows.

I forget the name of the cruise director. Apparently, he had just gotten on the ship for this cruise.

We enjoyed the food. Thought everything was done very well. There was no surcharge for Johnny Rockets.

<font color=#000FF>
Jan from New Jersey

RCCL - Alaska, Caribbean

Future:

Adventure Girl,

I just noticed you're going in early September. Will probably be alot warmer then.

<font color=#000FF>
Jan from New Jersey

RCCL - Alaska, Caribbean

Future:

NJGRANNY:

Thank you so very much for your reply to my questions. I greatly appreciate it.

One more question I forgot to ask....how much did it cost to park your car for the week? We are debating whether to drive and park...or to have someone drop us off and pick us up.

Thanks

Kimberly
Monarch of the Seas 4/02
Disney Wonder 11/02

Did you by any chance notice if anyone carried their luggage straight on the ship? We have 2 24 inch bags with wheels that aren't that big. Since they put you on a shuttle, I'm not sure if they will allow you to take them with you. Any help would be appreciated.

Not a lot of room for bags on the shuttle, some did bring bags but not really a good idea.

Judy
RCCL Voyager 5/21-5/30/04
CCL Inspiration 4/4-4/11/04
NCL Sea 4/14-4/27/03
DCL Wonder 5/16-5/19/02
DCL Wonder 5/3-5/8/01
CCL Fantasy 2/15-2/18/01

Adventure Girl and Travel Lady,

It was $60 for the five days for parking.

There was one midnight buffet.

<font color=#000FF>
Jan from New Jersey

RCCL - Alaska, Caribbean

Future:

Thank you again NJGRANNY

Was the midnight buffet a "gala buffet" in the dining room....or was it a pool side type of buffet? Not an important question/detail, I'm just curious.

Kimberly
Monarch of the Seas 4/02
Disney Wonder 11/02

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adventure Girl:
Thank you again NJGRANNY

Was the midnight buffet a "gala buffet" in the dining room....or was it a pool side type of buffet? Not an important question/detail, I'm just curious.

Kimberly
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was a Gala Buffet. Amazing work.

AJ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by A.S.:
Did you by any chance notice if anyone carried their luggage straight on the ship? We have 2 24 inch bags with wheels that aren't that big. Since they put you on a shuttle, I'm not sure if they will allow you to take them with you. Any help would be appreciated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We took our bags onto the shuttle. Not a problem.

AJ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adventure Girl:
One more question I forgot to ask....how much did it cost to park your car for the week? We are debating whether to drive and park...or to have someone drop us off and pick us up.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kimberly,

We haven't done this cruise yet, but I've been devouring every post on the topic. From the sound of it, with the chaos at disembarkation, I am THRILLED at the thought that my own car will be parked there, waiting for me. I don't have to worry about whether someone is circling around looking for me, waiting, waiting, waiting, if we are delayed. Nor do I have to worry if there will be a taxi there when we need one.

Carol

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;8;8;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-500[/img]
Voyager of the Seas - 5-day to Canada - NO AIRFARE!!!! 8/2004

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;12;26;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-500[/img]
Jewel of the Seas 12/2004
Explorer of the Seas 12/2003
Explorer of the Seas 8/2002

<marquee>till we sail on the Jewel! New Year's Cruise.....12/26/04</marquee>

<marquee>..........................Oh, no! We have become New Year's Cruise Addicts!</marquee>
<center>
<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]</center>

Thanks Carol: I agree, I think we will just drive and leave our car there....too much trouble to have someone pick us up and try to find us, etc. I also agree with your signature line....No Airfare! That is the main reason I am doing this cruise....it is a cost effective way to give my kids the experience of a Voyager Class ship. (And I won't feel so guilty taking my Nov. cruise w/o them!)

So tell me, what is it like on the New Year's eve cruises?

Kimberly
Monarch of the Seas 4/02
Disney Wonder 11/02

Oh, Kimberly, what can I say? Sure, it's WAY overpriced. New Year's is the THE MOST EXPENSIVE week of the year. The cruise lines KNOW that they have a captive audience, and the old supply and demand goes to work with a vengeance. My family, like many others, can ONLY coordinate this one week with Mom, a high school teacher and with (now) a high school student and a college student. (I always find it interesting when others on Cruise Critic talk about how it's ok that the lines charge more and more for extras, keeping the base fare low, and that they don't mind paying extra for things that they want and appreciate the sense of not paying for things they don't want, when they are paying SO little for their cruise; bragging about $399 per person for a seven day cruise - well, we have to pay for the same extras/not included stuff, and I can assure you that we are not paying anywhere NEAR $399 a person - try more like $1550 a person, three in a cabin, and NOT in a suite. It's not like they eliminate or lower the price on extras because we are paying so much for our cruise in the first place.)

Ok, enough of the quasi-complaining.

You know how special New Year's Eve can be no matter where you are? And you know how special a cruise is? Add the two together and multiply by a factor of 10, and that's how great a New Year's Cruise is.

You HAVE to have an easy-going attitude, and be one of those people who can go with the flow, and you won't mind the crowds falling all over each other, spilling champagne (free) but earnestly wishing all the damp people around them a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!

If you have low tolerance for lots of people in a confined space, stay out of the Royal Promenade (or major public space on a non-Voyager ship) at midnight on New Year's Eve - but it may be cold up on deck that night!

Personally, we all adore the atmosphere and esprit de corps that hang over a ship that week. What a blast! My kids are SO excited that we are doing it all again. (KIDS? Ha! 19 and almost 17 by 12/31/04)

If you have any specific questions, ask away.

Carol

Thank you Carol for the info on the New Year's Eve cruise. I definitely understand your comments on the pricing during holidays and school vacations. I pull my kids out of school for a week to avoid the high prices during school vacations. I hate to do that, but I can't afford the cost during vacation weeks. My SIL is school therapist and can only vacation during holidays, so our families cannot go together.

I would imagine the party atmosphere on the ship on New Year's Eve must be incredible. But, like you said, I didn't consider the crowd in the Promanade or elsewhere right around midnight,etc. I don't think I would care for that...probably almost like Times Square at midnight. Anyway, thanks so much for the reply. I bet your teenagers are going to have a blast! That will be a memory they will carry with them forever.
Have fun.

Kimberly
Monarch of the Seas 4/02
Disney Wonder 11/02

Archived