Comfort Inn Cruise Port South in FLL

dougp26364

We are Choise Hotels rewards members and tend to stay at them throughout the midwest without and problems. However, this will have been the second Comfort Inn we've stayed at in FL and both rank high amongst the WORST hotels we've ever spent a night in. That would include many Motel 6 rooms through the years.

This hotel should be burnt to the ground and they should just start over. I'm not sure gutting the place completely would be enough. Apparently, it was built in the late 60's or early 70's (judging by the decor) and they haven't done much with it (if anything) since.

The room was filthy. When my wife sat her pants down on the safe they were literally covered in dust when she picked them back up. The room came with it's own miniature livestock with ran around the walls (german brown roachs). I was only able to take a luke warm shower as there was no hot water (I spoke with other guests who experienced the same). The biggest tell tale sign that this was truely a BAD hotel was they never asked the question, "How was your stay?" when we checked out. It's to bad, I was ready for that one. As they didn't ask, I assumed they must have already known.

And that free continental breakfast with scrambled eggs, corned beef hash and a few other breakfast items tossed in. If it's not pre-packaged, DON'T put it in your mouth. One bite of those NASTY eggs, which I spit out, and I was dry heaving for the next 15 minutes. I eventually walked down to McDonalds to grab a bite to eat.

Granted this hotel was one of the more "affordable" hotels at $65/night and they did provide prompt transportation from the airport and to the pier. Unfortunately, it's just not worth it. From now on, no more Choice Hotel brand hotels anywhere in FL. It's just not worth the chance. Not even for one night.

Is this the hotel on Stirling Road, Hollywood, FL??

Yes, that's the one. Here are some Trip Advisor reviews... http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34296-d84582-Reviews-Comfort_Inn_Airport_Cruise_Port_South-Hollywood_Florida.html

Spend a little more, stay along SE 17th Street and you'll be much happier all around! Holiday Inn Express "Convention Center" and Extended Stay America are both great budget hotels on SE 17th. They're in the best location for cruisers, less than 10 minutes from FLL, just outside the entrance to Port Everglades, with dozens of restaurants, shops, grocery, drug & liquor stores as well as the very popular Water Taxi all within easy, safe walking distance.

Scared me for a minute - I am holding a reservation at Comfort Suites Airport and Cruise Port (same name except for the Suites) (on 1800 S Federal) We stayed at this a couple of years ago it was very nice.

That one's not all that much better IMO. It's a lot closer to FLL and Port Everglades, but is a rather long walk to the amenities of SE 17th Street (unless you only want fast food). If you're not used to noise ask for a room on the east side, the Federal Hwy. side of the hotel is quite noisy.

It, like most Choice hotels in South Florida, gets consistently bad reviews as well... http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34227-d84432-Reviews-Comfort_Suites_Airport_Cruise_Port-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

Scared me for a minute - I am holding a reservation at Comfort Suites Airport and Cruise Port (same name except for the Suites) (on 1800 S Federal) We stayed at this a couple of years ago it was very nice.

We were booked here and arrived after Wilma hit - they had no power but were still renting rooms - It didn't look like a place I would want to stay even with power - we cancelled and found the last room available at the Hyatt 66 and they had power.

Amerisuites, just up the road from Confort Inn is a very nice place and can be had thru valuetrips for about $79 and sometimes on Priceline for n$50.

Ron

Comfort Suites Cruise Port @ 1800 S Federal is OK. It was not top of the line, but I was looking to bed down the night before the cruise and earn some free points. Would I stay there for a week? Probably not. But I have tried to stay at other hotels in the Choice chain that I could not even stay the night. The one thing I always do is go look at the room before I take all my stuff up there. If it is not acceptable I ask to be moved. if the problem goes beyond the room, I make alternate arrangements for the night. Upon my return home I send THE letter. I had an unfortunate incident in GA this past summer. My money was cheerfully refuded and the points were still added. Thanks for letting us know about the Stirling Road one. Yuck and double Yuck.

Thanks, I don't have a reservation at the Comfort Inn, but have stayed there a few years ago. Not the best place, but it was always clean. Thanks for the information, I was considering a reservation there, but ended up at the Amerisuites in Plantation, Florida.

So glad I saw this thread today. We were booked in the Comfort Inn on Stirling Rd for Jan 11 the night before our Volendam cruise. I've now cancelled and booked La Quinta Airport instead.

I love these boards!

Toni ;)

I stayed there in 2003 one night before my Zuiderdam cruise. The first room I was given had a short in the wall lamp. It was sparking and everything!

I went down to ask that it be fixed right away. All they did was put me in a different room.....RIGHT NEXT DOOR! I was worried all night that I would wake up at 3 Am to a smoke filled room!

The new room had a broken safe and the man that came to fix it looked pretty darned shady to me and I didnt feel comfortable with him in my room. I told him not to worry about it and asked him to leave.

I wouldnt stay there again. Besides it seemed so much further away from everything.

And to the poster that mentioned the roaches, how did you even consider breakfast in their dining room the next morning? EEEEK!

This is really too bad this hotel went downhill. When I stayed there, like I said, it wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst either, for the price, we found it to be just fine. Hopefully they will clean up their act.

There were a couple of other things I forgot to mention about this dump. We originally had a 09:00 wake up call but, thanks to the less than acceptable conditions of the hotel, we were up long before that. It's a good thing as the maintenance man knocked on the door around 07:00 AM, only to figure out he had the wrong room. About 30 minutes later the maid actually entered the room without knocking, only to be surprised to see us sitting there eating the breakfast items I had bought from McDonalds.

If I didn't mention it before, the deadbolt lock on the door did not work. We did have the security bar (they used to be security chains) in place while we were asleep.

I've sent a complaint to Choice hotels via E-mail. So far, I've heard nothing back. Getting a refund would be nice but I still won't ever stay at a Choice brand hotel in FL. This was the second bad experience we've had with this brand in FL. We've never had a problem with them in the Midwest though.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an apology letter from A.M. Chowdhury (Revenue Manager), which is nice. Unfortunately, he took so little time with his concern that he didn't even pay attention to my name, which is NOT Peter.

It gives me a lot of confidence that they have taken my complaints seriously and looked carefully into the matter.

BTW, this is the COmfort Inn on Stiriling Road. For the fun of it I went to Travelocity to read past reviews of the hotel and put my own 2 cents in. It seems that the hotel is either rated a 5 with glowing reviews or a 1 stating that it's an absolute dump. I wonder if hotel employee's are posting fake reviews about their own hotel to try to cover up those that found the hotel to be one of the worst imaginable?

You might want to put your review up at Trip Advisor as well... http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34296-d84582-Reviews-Comfort_Inn_Airport_Cruise_Port_South-Hollywood_Florida.html

Yes, I'm quite sure a number of employees/managers/owners put glowing reviews of some bad hotels up! It's pretty obvious with some of them. :(

You might want to put your review up at Trip Advisor as well... http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34296-d84582-Reviews-Comfort_Inn_Airport_Cruise_Port_South-Hollywood_Florida.html

Yes, I'm quite sure a number of employees/managers/owners put glowing reviews of some bad hotels up! It's pretty obvious with some of them. :(

It's really too bad that more people do not know about Trip Advisor. It would help from having this happen to them.

I posted a review on trip advisor. I have to say most of the reviews I read are considerably more accurate than what's posted on Travelocity. Even the decent reviews of the Comfort Inn Cruise Port South weren't that great. It's to bad I didn't read Tripadvisor before our stay. I could have avoided the entire ugly mess all together.

I thought the comfort suites on federal was ok for a night (this was several years ago) but after reading some of the comments, I now have another hotel thanks to priceline so I will cancel my earlier reservation. I wonder if the choice hotel folks ever read the reviews and comments here and on trip advisor. You'd think they would clean up their act to stop losing customers - but I guess they get enough unsuspecting customers they don't have to worry!!

The Comfort Suites on Federal are a different hotel owned by the same chain (Choice Hotels).

This was the Comfort Inn at 2520 Striling Road. Probably different management as well.

Comfort Suites are supposed to be a step above Comfort Inn. In all fairness, we've stayed at several Choice hotels, mostly in the midwest, without any issues. It's been this one in FLL and another in Key West that have had major issues.

Since I've had two major issues with this chain, Choice Hotels, in Florida, I'm not taking chances with them anymore. I would assume (but could be wrong) that these are franchised out and the franchise holder in FL just isn't taking care of business like he/she should.

Oh no! we're booked here for 2/25/06 ! I'm searching for something else, but everything seems to be booked. I don't want to spend a fortune and a room because our flight doesn't arrive until 11:20 pm. I'm a little worried after reading all the horrible reviews!!!!:eek: :(

Suggestions??????????????

At this late date Extended Stay America is going to be your best bet... http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/hotels/fort-lauderdale-convention-center-marina.html

It's a great "budget" hotel with none of the problems of the CI and is in a far better/safer location. It's a newer hotel, very clean and well kept, less than 10 minutes from FLL, a block from the entrance to Port Everglades, and is surrounded by dozens of restaurants, shops, grocery, drug & liquor stores.

I'm glad you found something else.

Our flight didn't arrive until around 11:00 PM so I didn't think it mattered. Unfortunately it did. I wish I had read the reports on Tripadvisor from guests who arrived late and had been robbed while going to their room. While there were some rough looking individuals, at least we didn't have any trouble with them. Just a dirty room, a broken lock, roaches and no hot water. That was bad enough.

From now on I'll pay a little more to stay with a reputable hotel chain.

Agree with Doone - a real shame this hotel has gone downhill so much. We stayed there prior to a mismatched b2b on the Zuiderdam/Grand Princess in Dec. 2003, and it was clean, convenient, and the staff was friendly. We had dinner poolside at their little onsite restaurant while the steel drum pool band played, and drinks at the tiki bar afterwards. It was very well attended and put us in a great mindset for our cruises!

The room was adequate. Standard choice/HI quality. Clean, everything worked, etc. It was also nice being so close to the massive Dave & Busters/Barnes & Noble anchored shopping complex at Stirling & 95.

A shame that things have gone so downhill.

Archived