no.10 jitney in Nassau

maurick

How much is this bus and how often do they run, how far a ride to the beaches? Thank you

The ride from downtown Nassau to Cable Beach usually takes about 10-15 minutes. In rush hour, it can take 20 minutes +.

They run every couple of minutes, sometimes one right behind the other. You won't wait more that 5-7 minutes for a bus to come by.

It costs $1 pp, payable as you leave the bus.

You can pick it up on George Street (across from the straw Market on Bay Street), or at the McDonalds on Marlborough Street, across from the British Colonial Hilton Entrance. They will drop you in front of any of the hotels, you just need to walk across the street to enter.

I assume that the #10 is marked? I can imagine us getting lost in Nassau with 2 kids and a grandma. Not a good thing.

Yes, there'a a big #10 on the Front, sides and Back of each bus. (there are many #10's all coming and going to the same place. Make sure it's 10 and not 10a... or you'll get a bus that take the roundabout trip to your destination. Have fun.

I fully agree, thanks for the info. I beleive we will be trying out the #10 depending on how it looks for our mom that doesn't get around well. We will have her wheelchair but may not use it since I doubt the bus can handle it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I know that they will accept American currency in Nassau--but will they take it for bus/taxi fare as well? Instead of doing a shore excursion, I think my husband and I will explore on our own for the day.

Thanks!

Hi,

I know that they will accept American currency in Nassau--but will they take it for bus/taxi fare as well? Instead of doing a shore excursion, I think my husband and I will explore on our own for the day.

Thanks!

Yes, US$ are accepted by everyone. but have some small bills. Jitneys don't give change... and taxi drivers try not to. You don't want to overpay because you don't have singles.

Would it be a good idea if you wanted to see the island to ride the #10 around the whole island? How long would it take?

Thanks

None of the buses go around the whole island. The #10 goes from Downtown to the cable Beach area and Back again. THe #10A goes the same route, but continutes down along Bay Street to the South East and then back again ( this is a nice ride and cost $2) This should take less than an hour for the whole route. You can pick up the 10a from downtown Nassau.

Other buses take you thru the center of the island north to South, others go out west and around the back. (sorry, I dont know the numbers).

Jitneys are mainly used to pick up locals around their neighbor hoods and take them to shopping areas and work locations. Most routes are not very interesting.

Thanks for the info, Scubagirrl. A couple of questions came to mind as I was reading about the #10. Do they run on Sundays and do you need $1 in change or are bills accepted?

Rose

Yes, they run on Sundays (especially the #10) and you can pay with paper money or change *US or bahamian. They just won't change a bill for you.

Can we jump on #10 to get to the comfort suites across from Atlantis???

Thanks,

Connie

No, the #10 goes west out of town, there are no jitney to Paradise Island (although there is one that goes to the foot of the bridge on the Nassau Side, but this would be a trek over a very long and high bridge, and then up the roadway a few blocks.) If you want to do this, just hop on any bus that says Paradise Bridge on the out side of the bus.

It's quickest to take a cab for $4, or enjoy the slow pace of the ferryboat if you are not in a hurry.

I just got back from Nassau and I rode both the bus and took a couple taxis.

The bus drivers get angry if you don't have exact change. In fact he told me it was against the law. After much apologies from me and me just kinda standing there, he gave me change. Local money and dollars are 1:1.

Taxis to paradise island were going for around 11.00pp plus 1 dollar toll.

Do not take a taxi unless you are going to paradise island they are too expensive. Average was 12.00pp to cable beach from the Colonial Hilton(closer to cable beach than port building).

The ride from downtown Nassau to Cable Beach usually takes about 10-15 minutes. In rush hour, it can take 20 minutes +.

They run every couple of minutes, sometimes one right behind the other. You won't wait more that 5-7 minutes for a bus to come by.

It costs $1 pp, payable as you leave the bus.

You can pick it up on George Street (across from the straw Market on Bay Street), or at the McDonalds on Marlborough Street, across from the British Colonial Hilton Entrance. They will drop you in front of any of the hotels, you just need to walk across the street to enter.

Hey scubagirrl - thanks for the helpful information. We will be taking the #10 to Breezes for the day. You said it was about 10-15 minutes, right? Can we expect the same type of service returning to Nassau from Breezes? Would we catch the jitney in the same exact spot we are left off? Or would it be on the other side of the street?

Also, on the way back into Nassau, which stop is closer to the cruise port - the one at George Street or the one on Marlborough street?

Thanks!

Hey scubagirrl - thanks for the helpful information. We will be taking the #10 to Breezes for the day. You said it was about 10-15 minutes, right? Can we expect the same type of service returning to Nassau from Breezes? Would we catch the jitney in the same exact spot we are left off? Or would it be on the other side of the street?

Also, on the way back into Nassau, which stop is closer to the cruise port - the one at George Street or the one on Marlborough street?

Thanks!

Depending on the time of day, the jitney CAN take up to 25 minutes to return to Nassau. This would be around 5pm, when traffic is heavy and there are folks getting off from work and flaggin' it down every few meters.

Give yourself some xtra time. The bus stop at George Street is the closest, and last stop.

Hi Scubagirrl,

Since you know so much about the island, and everyone's picking your fabulous brain....I wanted to take a turn, too!

My husband and I have opted NOT to do an excursion when we dock in Nassau. He'd much prefer that we explore the islands on our own. He'd rather NOT do the "touristy" thing (same thing when we visited Jamaica, his homeland).

I told him I had read someplace about a little restaurant that the locals love that serve conch fritters...and someone else had mentioned Arawak Cay...

I've learned about the #10 Jitney from your helpful posts....can you give us some places to eat/beach/shop/see that aren't really targeted specifically for tourists? He also wants to find a farmer's market, and devour as many tropical fruits as he can while we're there!:D

Thanks for any/all help you can give me!

Laurie

Hi Scubagirrl,

Since you know so much about the island, and everyone's picking your fabulous brain....I wanted to take a turn, too!

My husband and I have opted NOT to do an excursion when we dock in Nassau. He'd much prefer that we explore the islands on our own. He'd rather NOT do the "touristy" thing (same thing when we visited Jamaica, his homeland).

I told him I had read someplace about a little restaurant that the locals love that serve conch fritters...and someone else had mentioned Arawak Cay...

I've learned about the #10 Jitney from your helpful posts....can you give us some places to eat/beach/shop/see that aren't really targeted specifically for tourists? He also wants to find a farmer's market, and devour as many tropical fruits as he can while we're there!:D

Thanks for any/all help you can give me!

Laurie

If you head east.. you'll find Potters Cay (under the easternmost bridge).

You'll find fish shacks, fruit vendors, cold beer and an interesting game of dominos. It's were the locals hang out. (Ask your taxi driver or take a jitney to "Paradise Bridge" from downtown for $1).

http://www.bahamas-treasures.com/bahamas/images/Potters%20Cay/PottersCayShack.jpg

http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/bahamasweb2/home.nsf/5e1ae0996af6ebda06256d900056fb01/da7e998639f0b34006256f020062f9bb/Body/22.4A16!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/bahamasweb2/home.nsf/5e1ae0996af6ebda06256d900056fb01/da7e998639f0b34006256f020062f9bb/Body/44.4322!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

It's VERY rustic.. but they have the freshes food in town. Try the Conch Fritters or conch salad with an ice cold beer.

If you want to try a native beach.. head further east to Fort Montegue and Monteque Beach.. You won't find a tourist anywhere..

You should be able to pick up a jitney from the base of the bridge heading east. Ask the driver where to pick up a jitney to get back.. he'll let you know.

(Should be around the bend at Village Road and Shirley Street)

Arawak Cay's Fish Fry is another options.. a little west of town, and there's a fruit market just short of the entrance across the street.

Lighthouse Beach is nearby.. also not many tourists. This is easier to get to .. but not quite as unique an experience.

The #10 bus (jitney) will get you back and forth from downtown.

Archived