First Time Cruiser - What do I do??

jjjmom33

This is my first time on a cruise. There will be 6 adults. What should we do? Is there a good website for information on Progreso? Can you stay on the ship when it ports or do you need to get off and do something? How much money do you need to take roughly? Any help would be very much appreciated. I'm clueless what to do on an excursion and how to book it.

I have to advise you to go to Merida. It's a great city with nice little plazas and a colonial feel to it. Mayans are the nicest people and everybody's helpful. Shop in the retail section near the bus station where the locals buy their hammocks and hats, stay away from the tourist joints. There are some restaurants near the newer hotels that will serve you all the antojitos ( little plates) you want as long as you're ordering beers. Great fun with families sitting around singing along wiht the jukebox. Disfrutase!

bgood

Hola newbies and welcome to the cruise world. We have done Progreso 3 times and have done something different each time. The Dzibilchaltun Ruins are interesting. We did that our first trip. Trip 2 was a beach break. We walked from the shuttle to the beach in town and loafed all day. Had a good meal at Le Saint Bonnet, shopped around the mercado and had a pleasant day. Last year we took a tour to Reef Yucatan Resort with a stop at the Xcambo ruins. Great place, gorgeous pool, open bar and a good day in general. What was really great was the price of $30. If we go back we will probably do Merida. I would like to go to Chichen Itza, but 4 or 5 hours on a bus is not my idea of a vacation.

Definately get off of the ship. These places are neat.

We were in Progresso last August and liked it. Get off the ship and enjoy the place. The peir is pretty long and Carnival has a bus to take you into town. They drop you off at a market with decent shopping. You can talk the vendors down in price. Take the tour city bus they offer for $2.00 per person. Very good tour. After we did that we walked to the beach and ate at Flamingos and enjoyed the free beach across the street. Hardly spent any money at this port.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information. I think we are looking to hang out at a beach, hopefully an all inclusive one and possibly do some shopping and snorkeling.

Does the $30 for the beach mentioned include food and drinks?

• 2 months later...

I think we are planning to go to Corona Beach (not the excursion, just walking to it). I'm curious-I will have to have some cash on me and wonder what you do with your things while at the beach? I'd hate for anything to get stolen and then not be able to get back on the ship! Progreso sounds amazing-I can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...

Just back....Don't do the Progresso Beach Break ($75). 30 minute drive each way, only 3 hours on the beach. It is all inclusive but they don't have enough people to help you while you are there. I kid you not, we spent half of the 3 hours at the beach standing in line trying to get a drink. I had friends that did the Corona Beach Break ($35) and had a great time, and people walked around and waited on you. Also, be prepared....the water in Progresso is nothing like Cozumel.

Archived