We had a great time on the STAR June 18-25

Hikini

I don't want to make this a really long winded review, because so many others have already written about how much fun their cruise was. I just want to cover a few highlights here and there, and will expound on certain things as I go.

But due to the constraints of time, I will make this at least a 2 or 3 part review. So here goes...

Embarkation on Sunday, June 18th in Seattle was a breeze....'nuff said!

The ship

We were on the Star in June, 2004 and two years later this ship is as beautiful as ever, and is in great condition. At no time did we see any signs of aging, other than one or two spots in the carpeting. Throughout a ship that has thousands of people walking on the carpet every day - I'd say that's completely acceptable.

Crew members are cleaning, polishing, wiping, scrubbing, seemingly all the time.

There is one complaint I could make about the ship, though. There was a peculiar/unpleasant smell in all but one of the elevators I was in. It almost smelled like dead fish. Not as bad as that, but it's the only way I can describe it. It must be a chemical they were using for cleaning purposes because it was in ALL but one elevator, and I wasn't the only person to comment on it. I hope they can find a different smelling chemical to use!:(

The presence of the anti-bacterial sanitization stations is even greater than before, and this time they had staff members standing at the machines encouraging ALL people to use them as they entered the different restaurants. Especially the buffet. Even if you're just walking through they ask you to use the solution, because you are passing through a food area. I was very happy to see this, because we've been on several cruises where people would walk right on by the sanitization stations without using them. Then they would handle the serving utensils, tongs, etc and who knows what they'd done since the last time they'd washed their hands?

The sanitization stations were available in several places throughout the ship. When entering the ship they required each person to use them. They were available at the elevator banks on the main floors (not on the floors where most staterooms are.) They were available at each entertainment venue and bar as well.

Even with the presence of those machines all over the ship, and the encouragement from the crew to use them, (in other words, we're trying to cut down on germs) I still saw an occasion or two where a woman would use the toilet, and leave the room without washing her hands. That made me even more glad those sanitization stations are everywhere!

We found our beds to be very comfortable. We have never felt the need to ask for the egg crate mattress covers, and once again we slept great. We did ask for 2 extra pillows, only because at home I sleep with lots of pillows. They accomodated my request immediately.

This is all for now, but I will return to talk about the food, the entertainment, the ports, the crew, the teen club, etc.

Hikini:D

Hello hikini... I didn't notice the smell on the elevators. Perhaps it was due to the cold that hit me on Wednesday... I, too, felt the ship was very well maintained, unlike some that previously said it seemed 'worn'.

Hello hikini... I didn't notice the smell on the elevators. Perhaps it was due to the cold that hit me on Wednesday... I, too, felt the ship was very well maintained, unlike some that previously said it seemed 'worn'.

I have a very strong sense of smell, and was beginning to think I was the only one who thought there was an odd smell. Then one day another lady, a stranger to me, mentioned something and I said, "You mean like a dead fish smell?" And she said, "Exactly! That's it!" I didn't hear people complaining about it and won't claim "everyone I talked to said the same thing" as in other posts, about other complaints!:p

And if that's the only thing I can complain about then I'd say it was a very successful cruise! We had a wonderful time, and no smell, good or bad, is going to make much difference.:D

Hi Hikini, So glad you had a good time on your cruise. Were you able to find Eby? Anxiously awaiting to read more of your trip. Thanks!

I'm so sorry that I didn't get the chance to actually talk to Eby. He was pointed out to me one day but he was so busy and I didn't want to disrupt him. The next day I went into Versailles to specifically find him and he was not there. I'm guessing, since it was Sunday, that he was already off duty for his vacation.:o

You might be able to answer this question that I posted last week and no one seemed to reply - what's the duty-free allowance for Canada? I know that the Star is only in port 6 hours but I'm hoping that they count the time in international waters. My DD has a favorite clothing store in Victoria that she'd like to do back-to-school shopping in but without the duty-free allowance that could be problematic!

Thanks.

Anxious to hear more, Hikini! A couple questions if you have time. Were you able to make reservations for the specialty restaurants for the whole week on the first day or was it a day by day kind of thing? What night was lobster night in the main restaurants? How does the teen club sign up work? I know I'm jumping the gun here and you will probably cover that in your next installment.....sorry. Can you tell we are getting excited?:D

You might be able to answer this question that I posted last week and no one seemed to reply - what's the duty-free allowance for Canada? I know that the Star is only in port 6 hours but I'm hoping that they count the time in international waters. My DD has a favorite clothing store in Victoria that she'd like to do back-to-school shopping in but without the duty-free allowance that could be problematic!

Thanks.

US Citizens are allowed $800 duty free, and this includes what is purchased on the ship. (Not drinks, food, etc. - just 'items'). This is per person, and families can combine. If you have a family of 4, then you'd have a combined allowance of $3,200. That's a lotta clothes!:p

Anxious to hear more, Hikini! A couple questions if you have time. Were you able to make reservations for the specialty restaurants for the whole week on the first day or was it a day by day kind of thing? What night was lobster night in the main restaurants? How does the teen club sign up work? I know I'm jumping the gun here and you will probably cover that in your next installment.....sorry. Can you tell we are getting excited?:D

We only made a reservation for one night, and I made that within one hour of getting on board. There was no one in line in front of me. However, there was a couple next to me who were perusing the menus for the specialty restaurants and went on to make reservations for every day of the cruise.

Lobster night was on Monday.

More about the teen club later.

Hikini? Does that mean on the first day (Sunday) you can make reservations at Specialty Restaurants for the whole week? We remember it as having to make reservations first thing every morning for dinner that evening. We couldn't make reservations for the whole week in advance. Can we make reservations for the whole week? If so, it'll be great cause we've already picked out which restaurants to visit! Thanks.

Hikini? Does that mean on the first day (Sunday) you can make reservations at Specialty Restaurants for the whole week? We remember it as having to make reservations first thing every morning for dinner that evening. We couldn't make reservations for the whole week in advance. Can we make reservations for the whole week? If so, it'll be great cause we've already picked out which restaurants to visit! Thanks.

Yes - on Sunday we made a reservation for Friday. And the couple who was next to us made reservations for every night of the cruise, all at once.

I do remember the time when we had to make reservations the day before or the morning of. But this time it was different.:D

Reservations weren't bad.

Only made them for la trattoria and endless summer. For la trattoria, we were able to make it for next day ahead for anytime we wanted, couple in front got the last time for that day. Endless summer, we made a reservation for the same day at 9:30, so ended up eating 2 dinners in two restaurants, from versailles at 5:30, buffet after that then endless summer, heh.

Reservations

We had decided prior to the cruise that we wanted to eat at least one meal in the Endless Summer. It is a very pretty restaurant with a Hawaiian theme. Beautiful stained (or painted) glass ceilings, and Hawaiian murals on the walls. The Star used to sail in Hawaii, so it would fit in perfectly with that. However, now the Endless Summer serves Tex Mex Style food.

I know that reservations fill up fast, so wanted to make the reservation right away and get that out of my hair.

In the Grand Atrium, to the left of the reception desk (as you are facing it) there is a desk where you can look at all of the menus for the restaurants and of course, make your reservations.

There was no one in line, however there was a couple who were looking through the menus to decide where and when to eat. Another clerk helped me and we were given the exact time and date that we wanted. Easy!

The other couple went on to make reservations in all of the specialty restaurants for each day of the cruise. There are copies of the upcharge specialty restaurants menus that you can take.

One more note about the reservations: On the optional formal night (lobster night) (Monday night) the restaurants were very busy and with 8 of us, we decided not to wait in line at 5:30*. While the others waited near the Aqua restaurant, I ran upstairs with one of the kids to see if we could get into Endless Summer, by chance.

As luck would have it, a large party had canceled and we were able to be seated in the next 10 minutes. It's always worth a try!

*Being that it was lobster night, AND creme brulee was on the menu for dessert, we knew we'd come back later and try again!:D

Teen Club

From the reservations desk we went to a table near the Java Cafe where we got sign up forms for the teen club, and purchased the soda bracelet for the 12 year old. It was $18.40 for all the soda he wanted. A bright orange removable bracelet was given to him and it came in handy.

There was also a schedule of events for the teens and at a quick glance it looked like a good variety of fun things for them to do. Filled out the forms and the kids took them to the teen club which is on deck 12, port side, behind the Market Cafe. (In-between the AFT port side of the buffet and the Barong Spa.)

Honestly, I didn't pay a LOT of attention to all of the activities planned for the kids, but they had a lot of fun. One of them spent almost all of her time with the teens, and the other spent about half with us and half with the teen club. They said it would vary between 5-20 kids in there at any time or for any event.

They had reserved seating for the shows, in addition to their own chocolate buffet several hours before the main event.

The kids enjoyed the counselors and interacted with them very well. They felt bad that Alex, one of the counselors, dislocated his shoulder one of the days and was a bit laid up for the rest of the cruise. At the end of the cruise I asked them if they enjoyed the teen club and they said yes, they would participate again on another cruise.

More to come as time allows! We're getting ready for another vacation - this time only to the other side of the state - but it still requires doing all the laundry from the cruise, getting the vehicles ready, going to a surprise birthday party Thursday night, grocery shopping, etc.

Do all of the restaurants serve Lobster on the formal night or is the endless Summer still the tex-mex and the Itailain place Italian?

If they all serve the lobster can we then make reservations for one of them? That would be much easier

I made reservations for the Speciality Restaurants soon after I boarded the ship. I called the restaurant reservations number on the phone,and it was a breeze. I made reservations for Monday night at the Trattoria, Thursday night for Ginza, and Friday night for Endless Summer.

I made reservations for the Speciality Restaurants soon after I boarded the ship. I called the restaurant reservations number on the phone,and it was a breeze. I made reservations for Monday night at the Trattoria, Thursday night for Ginza, and Friday night for Endless Summer.

We ate in Endless Summer Friday night too.....

Do all of the restaurants serve Lobster on the formal night or is the endless Summer still the tex-mex and the Itailain place Italian?

If they all serve the lobster can we then make reservations for one of them? That would be much easier

The 2 main restaurants (Aqua and Versailles) serve lobster on lobster night. La Trattoria is still Italian and Endless Summer is still Tex Mex.

On formal night, as I said, we decided to go elsewhere, and ended up at Endless Summer. My Mom, who is a creme brulee nut, asked if she could get it in Endless Summer and they said no.

US Citizens are allowed $800 duty free, and this includes what is purchased on the ship. (Not drinks, food, etc. - just 'items'). This is per person, and families can combine. If you have a family of 4, then you'd have a combined allowance of $3,200. That's a lotta clothes!:p

That ought to hold her! I'm glad that they count beyond the 6 hours or she wouldn't be doing any shopping! Thanks for the info.

To continue:

The Ports

We were supposed to depart Seattle at 4pm on Sunday, June 18th. We pushed away from the dock right on time to the minute. The kids didn't even realize we were actually moving until they could see the 20-30 foot gap between the ship and the dock.

Juneau

As we were in the Gastineau channel coming into Juneau, my family was having lunch in Versailles. Out the starboard windows we saw a Coast Guard boat with its lights flashing and someone manning the 'gun' mounted on the front of the boat.

The captain came onto the PA system and said that they were welcoming us into Juneau, and it's nice to see that fun can be an international language.

The Coast Guard boat spun around in circles and did figure eights at high speeds alongside the ship the rest of the way into Juneau. The kids loved it.

We weren't able to dock in Juneau until our planned arrival time of 2pm. The NCL Sun was at the dock we would be docking at. But they lowered (I think) 2 tender boats for those with early excursions and took them to shore.

At 2pm the Sun pulled away and the Star took its place at the dock. We would be in Juneau until 10pm.

The weather was fair and pleasant. Not cold at all - a sweater was completely sufficient.

The Star docks at the AJ dock which is about 1 and a half miles from downtown. There are free shuttle buses to transport people back and forth. When first docking, of course there is a mad dash for the gangway. If you don't have an excursion planned, I recommend letting the masses go, then you can easily walk off the ship and get right onto a bus.

Skagway

I don't know what time we actually pulled into Skagway because we were sound asleep at 7am, which is the scheduled arrival time. It was a beautiful morning in Skagway - the nicest we have ever seen there.

After a leisurely breakfast we all headed for town. This is the first time that we've been on a ship that was at this particular dock. Looking back at the ships from downtown, it looked like the nose of the Star was right there in town. It's about a 5 minute walk from the ship to 1st & Broadway, which is where the town begins.

However, if walking is a problem for anyone, you can get a bus that comes to the parking area right in front of the ship. It's a local bus and I believe it costs $1.50. There are also the horse drawn carriages that go all over town, but you might have to prearrange for a pick up right at the ship. I don't know.

There is an internet cafe on 2nd & Broadway. If you were walking across the street at 2nd & 3rd (heading towards 4th) look to your left and the little store with an internet sign is down that side street. $5.00 per hour, but be warned - it is very s-l-o-w.

We shopped all the way to the end of Broadway and back, then Grandma wanted Starbucks, so we went there. (1st & Broadway). She was ready to head back to the ship by then, and later we would realize what a great intuition she must have had. The 12 year old walked Grandma back to the ship, then came back to join us as we continued shopping.

Some stayed in town to shop some more, but awhile after Grandma left us, myself and the 16 year old decided to head back to the ship. As we were just leaving 1st & Broadway, headed down the block to the ship a MAJOR wind came up! I'm originally from North Dakota and I know what major winds are like on the open prairies! This wind would have rivaled any wind I've ever felt.

We were leaning hard forward, pushing against the wind as we walked - bags flying straight out behind us! Hold onto your hats or you'll never see them again!

There was a little boat next to the Star trying to clean the hull and all they were doing was bobbing up and down, back and forth, finding it impossible to stay in one place. I would guess that the wind kept up for about an hour, then it started to rain. The really pretty morning had turned into a kind of unpleasant afternoon.

But it cleared again and we left Skagway at 8pm. Some of us stood out on deck around 10pm to watch as we passed the Haines area and shortly after that, we passed a glacier. It was after 10pm and yet it was still light out. I got some really great pictures that look like there was a blue colored lens on the camera. Nope. Just natural light.

I must stop for now, but will continue with Glacier Bay, Ketchikan and Victoria, then continue on with entertainment, crew, food, etc.

Did you really believe me at the beginning when I said I didn't want this to be long winded? Ha!:D

You are doing a wonderful review for our pleasure, Hikini.

Thanks for sharing your entire cruise with us.

The wind sounds terrible - we did not experience anything such as that on our Skagway visit - almost an entire week there. It was absolutely wonderful.

Nice to know that there is more coming.

Great Job!:)

Hikini, we took some awesome pictures of that "playful" Coast Guard boat! My Dad especially got a big kick out of it! You could tell they were happy to have something to do, so they totally played it up! That weather in Skagway was really wild- nice in the morning, and by the time we got off the train about 4:00, wow, what wind! My mom saw a few drops of rain (they're from California) and said. "oh, darnit, I left my umbrella on the ship." I told her that her puny little umbrella would have blown inside out then blown away in no time! Walking back to the ship with hubby, we were quite impressed with the sideways, pelting rain. Of course we get rain here in the Pacific NW, but we don't have those sudden blasts of wind like they do in Skagway!

Hikini, about what time did you eat Fri at Endless Summer? Did you by chance hear the wait staff singing Happy Birthday at a table of four about 7pm? If so, that was my husband being serenaded!

Archived