Cruise Ship's List Caused By Human Error

Tom-n-Cheryl

Wow...thanks for posting this!

I feel so bad for all those poor people who were hurt and scared and messed up by this

The Grand Princess "tilt" was also human error I think?

I do like Princess, i guess this could happen on any ship, it is scary.

Maybe even scarier than "mechanical' problems.

While MSNBC is a reputable news organization, I will believe the "human error" theory when it is confirmed by an official source (Coast Guard, Princess, NTSA, etc.). Unnamed sources are not always reliable.

This same story was published and investigated by NBC2 in Orlando. My impression of their reporting, versus other similar reporting provided by other news outlets including the AP, newspapers, and other local broadcasters is that NBC2 has been particularly inflammatory, negative and proven innacurate. Even this story says the captain "left the line's bridge." Really? Did they truly mean the "line?" Or perhaps, they meant the "liner's?" Or maybe "ship's" might have been more accurate. Taken as written, this statement alone discredits them because of the inaccuracy. What else did they get wrong?

While MSNBC is a reputable news organization, I will believe the "human error" theory when it is confirmed by an official source (Coast Guard, Princess, NTSA, etc.). Unnamed sources are not always reliable.

well.. (LOL) occasionally UNNAMED sources are they only sources of the TRUTH...:eek:

I would not put Princess on quite an "official" level (with the NTSB). Princess, without TRUE official oversight, would feel the urge to SPIN the "truth" - as would many a corporation.

Tom

there is a whole thread on this already.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=382720

I assumed that there would be - on the Princess boards, but I was tired when I got in last night, scanned the CARNIVAL board, and did not have the desire to search elsewhere for it. :)

I am sure some people on the Carnival board would not have found this information (factual or not ;) ) over on the Princess boards - so here it is, until it is MOVED for not being related to CARNIVAL.. Though - CCL owns Princess....

Tom

I am sailing on the Crown in September. When I heard the Crown was scheduled to sail again within days and prior to the completion of the official investigation I felt certain Princess already knew it was human error. That is the only reason I can think of they would start sailing again immediately. I expect they will announce soon that a junior officer has been either reprimanded or relieved from duty.

I am sailing on the Crown in September. When I heard the Crown was scheduled to sail again within days and prior to the completion of the official investigation I felt certain Princess already knew it was human error. That is the only reason I can think of they would start sailing again immediately. I expect they will announce soon that a junior officer has been either reprimanded or relieved from duty.

I have this vivid image of him being strapped to the bow of the ship...:eek:

But - these are modern times (I keep trying to convince myself of that...)

Tom

It doesn't even take a junior officer to make sharp turns.

I was on the original Island Princess twelve+ years ago when the Captain decided to abort an approach to a New Zealand fjord. He really cranked the ship around and _everything_ fell over and broke all over the ship. No warning, either.

We were on the top deck and all the drink machines rolled and crashed, and a man in a wheelchair got injured.

But back then, cruising wasn't assumed to be a static floating hotel experience. Passengers took such experiences in stride as a hazard of ocean going.

Cheers, Kev

There is one Jr. Officer that will never get a chance to operate any vessel. It is sad for all parties, the officer and the people onboard. It does, however, give me an example for my kids to show how one small action, can impact many lives including your own. Since I have a son looking to get a drivers license in a year.

I just thank God that no one was killed, can you imagine the life of that poor guy if someone would have died? If the media picks this story up, and puts it on the headlines, the guy may just wish he had fallen overboard.

There is one Jr. Officer that will never get a chance to operate any vessel. It is sad for all parties, the officer and the people onboard. It does, however, give me an example for my kids to show how one small action, can impact many lives including your own. Since I have a son looking to get a drivers license in a year.

I just thank God that no one was killed, can you imagine the life of that poor guy if someone would have died? If the media picks this story up, and puts it on the headlines, the guy may just wish he had fallen overboard.

I have just finished watching the 10 minute video that was also on the website from the newlywed couple. Their attitude about the incident was the most amazingly compassionate attitude anyone could have. I wish more people had their look on life. They were not looking to blame anyone and they were absolutely shocked to be getting all their money refunded plus any expenses incurred. I've read so many threads where people are looking for refunds for things so much more minimal. Kudos to the newlyweds. There are good people out here.:)

I have just finished watching the 10 minute video that was also on the website from the newlywed couple. Their attitude about the incident was the most amazingly compassionate attitude anyone could have. I wish more people had their look on life. They were not looking to blame anyone and they were absolutely shocked to be getting all their money refunded plus any expenses incurred. I've read so many threads where people are looking for refunds for things so much more minimal. Kudos to the newlyweds. There are good people out here.:)

That bit was done for the benefit of the news media, this couple have been interviewed by numerous stations. There was also a discussion about whether they accepted pay for this as well. :)

They may have gotten this right, I don't yet know as I want to hear what the investigators say first, but I just had to lol when I read that MSNBC was a reliable news source. These cable channels are on 24/7 and they are desperate for stories, they repeat and repeat the same ones all the live long day. I don't mean to insult the poster who said that MSNBC was reliable, and maybe this does seem insulting to them. Sorry if it does, but I just cannot bear to not respond to MSNBC being reliable.

Wow...thanks for posting this!

I feel so bad for all those poor people who were hurt and scared and messed up by this

The Grand Princess "tilt" was also human error I think?

I do like Princess, i guess this could happen on any ship, it is scary.

Maybe even scarier than "mechanical' problems.

Yes - reports we have heard reflect those findings for the Grand Princess also. We were on that fateful Grand Princess voyage. It truly was a remarkable incident to experience - one I would not wish to experience again. Now only 5 months later, there is another incident on a Grand CLASS ship, reported also approx two hours after departing the port, and the same tip etc....Very strange. Maybe safety and bridge procedures need to be reviewed and retrained urgently. My heart goes out to all those passengers on the Crown Princess list voyage - we know what it is like to experience that and are so pleased that everyone appears to be all right.

I have this vivid image of him being strapped to the bow of the ship...:eek:

But - these are modern times (I keep trying to convince myself of that...)

Tom

To hell with modern times, "strap him to the bow of the ship"!! If a person is found responsible for all those injuries, he deserves it!

I love Tom's idea!

Archived