Good plan for end of landtour Denali/Fairbanks?

irisheileen

Train ride from Whittier-Denali: lazy night at hotel (hot tub!)

First full day: Tundra Wilderness Tour 6A-2P, (NAP!), dinner at Lynx Pizza or Subway, another lazy night to unwind

Second Denali Day: sleep in!, check out area , sit and relax with friends and just enjoy being there! Nice meal. 3:45-8:15P train to Fairbanks, crash in bed. (Bear Lodge)

First Fairbanks Day: Discovery Riverboat (with Princess), lunch, El dorado (with Princess). Dinner @Bear Lodge

NOW, here's the question: I have a Mini van reserved for the 4 of us. We can shuttle to airport after dinner for car P/U THAT night or they'll hold it until next AM (if we're too beat to go out)

If we wait till next AM (which we favor now) the men can go P/U the car after breakfast, while girlfriend and I pack(last day).

Then we can check out the nice grounds and historical aspects of the Bear Lodge, maybe Bird Observatory and/or Creamery Field.

Do you recommend Mush Ox Farm? Time for quick post office visit to North Pole? Will we have time if we.... get to Ester Gold Camp for Dinner by 5PM, walk around there and return car by 7:30PM for a 9:40PM flight home. Boo Hoo!

I really want to experience a Salmon Bake and since we'll have a car we can go to Ester as opposed to Pioneer Park. We're not going to go to any of the "shows". Ester is nicer, right?

Are we spending our time wisely? If we go to Pioneer Park we won't need a car rental, right? We could shuttle? Of course, no Musk Ox, but it's not all that important-just there so we'll do it.

Does this all sound doable in Fairbanks/good use of time?

THANKS!

I can't answer your real questions but instead of eating at Subway, walk 4 doors or so down and eat Bub's Subs instead. It is locally owned/ non-chain and much, much better. Get the Philly beef and get served about 1 lb. of sandwich. Lynx is a good choice too but save subway for when you get home. Have fun.

The Fairbanks large animal research farm is definately worth the tour, if of interest. But also take a look at the Botanical Gardens, very very nice. Yes you have time for Creamer's Field and back and forth to the North Pole. Could add Pioneer Park, if you get an early start.

Finally, yes, enough time- probably if you are seated for dinner by 5pm at the Ester Gold Camp. Easy direct route to Fairbanks airport from there.

Archived