Fascination Review...4 night - 5/24 sail date

4FRCruising

Hi all....Here it is - my 1st Review (hope it has everything you are looking for):

Let me start by saying this trip was total fun. I was looking for an inexpensive vacation to just de-stress and visit only ports that I enjoy – in this case Key West & Cozumel.

I arrived in Miami the day before my cruise since I had arranged my own air and didn’t want to chance any delays. I had bid a 2* Airport Hotel on Priceline since I wasn’t arriving until after 4:30 p.m. Stayed at the Fairfield Inn West. Nice clean and secure hotel (you need to use your room key to gain access to the floor you are staying on) with a few fast food restaurants within an easy walk plus a number of other restaurants that would deliver to the hotel.

No matter what the hotel websites say – ALWAYS call and check to see if they have an Airport Shuttle. Some of the hotel shuttles constantly circle the airport while others you need to call to have them come to pick you up. Also ASK if they have a Port Shuttle. Fairfield Inn website had mentioned shuttle to the pier on Fri., Sat., Sun. only….when I asked they said SURE for Monday. I did have to go at 9 a.m. and they did drop off at the airport first - but it was FREE.

Even though Carnival had listed 1:30 as the earliest boarding time they did allow everyone into the terminal to wait and also allowed us to board about 10:45 a.m. with the request that we go to the Lido deck for lunch and to stay away from out cabins until 1:30 so they could be properly prepared.

So off I went to the Lido deck to claim a prime table location and get my cruise underway with lunch. About 1:45 I headed off to find my 1A cabin on the Riviera Deck (R66). I was very happy with the location I chose. The hallway for this cabin runs down the middle of the ship and not too many people are aware it is there or use it – so very quiet. A 1A cabin is perfect for a single – only 1 bed on the floor (other one is a bunk that would suspend from the wall) so more floor space. Also one of the largest showers I’ve had on any ship I’ve sailed. The only “bad†comment I had to put on the Comment Card was that I had ZERO Towel Animals….guess my steward missed the lessons.

The Fascination really could use a better interior decorator though. The ship is soooo DARK. The carpeting, upholstery, and ceilings are all muted or dark shades. They really need more festive colors to do this FunShip justice – because she really IS a fun ship. Sure there is some wear and tear due to age, but you really have to be looking for it and I was too busy looking for fun.

I opted for late dinner (actual early-late since it was at 8 p.m.). Augustus and Michael made sure our mealtimes were very enjoyable. The Chicken Dance and YMCA sure do help settle dinner so you have more room for dessert too.

The Big entertainment is the Las Vegas Style reviews: Broadway (Tuesday) and Hollywood (Wednesday). While the shows are good, I have seen the “theme†done much better by another cruise line. I skipped the Balancing Act and comedian the night we were in Cozumel. I was just too pooped from walking/shopping all over Cozumel. Sad to say I never made the “R†Comedy shows at midnight. I wanted to but my eyes didn’t.

Not really enough time in Key West – especially since we had to tender due to construction work on the pier. I did hit the high points of what I wanted to do there. I was able to find Kinos and buy the most comfortable pair of sandals I have ever owned (now I’m sorry I didn’t buy 3 pair….guess I’ll just have to go back again soon!), made it to the Blue Cat to do some pet-specific shopping, got my Key Lime Taffy and Coconut Patties. I was also able to use two out of three of the 2 for 1 drink coupons I printed from the internet (Schooner’s Wharf & the Lazy Gecko – had to skip Conch Republic)…just a little strange to start drinking at 9:50 a.m. but the last tender was going to be at 1:15, so no time to waste.

Our excellent Captain Garibbo was able to get us an extra hour in Cozumel (10:30 p.m. instead of 9:30 p.m. ships time to be back aboard) PLUS got us the prime pier of Langosta (we could just walk off the ship and be in town) instead of Puerta Maya ($6 cab ride each way…total for cab NOT per person). First stop was Viva Mexico for 2 for 1 frozen Margaritas – needed fluids to make it to the end of town (Los Cinco Soles) and begin shopping my way back to the ship. I probably shouldn’t give this “tip†out, but since you are all friends: There is a whole other world of shopping 1 block back from the main shopping street they show on the shopping map (who needs a “recommended†store for a guarantee for trinkets and T-Shirts??). Turn away from the ocean when you reach Adolfo R Salas and then make a left at the next street. Wider, easier to walk, shopkeepers willing to bargain…..what more can you ask for.

Last day is a Sea Day. I got to be one of the judges at the Hairy Chest contest. Just a little hint for any of you that plan on entering: The judges really like to be “swept off their feetâ€.

Almost forgot one of the other high points on the ship for me – sushi, sushi, sushi. 4 different types on all but the night we were in Cozumel (sushi bar not open that night) and made as you order it (not like on the Conquest where it is pre-made then cut up and put on trays).

Carnival is trying something new for disembarkation (for US Citizens ONLY). Self-assisted disembarkation. You must be a U.S. Citizen AND have ALL your luggage with you (nothing put out the night before). If you meet those requirements, you go to the Palace Lounge with your luggage early (check on board for exact time – I think it was about 7-7:30 a.m.). You must also be able to manage to carry your luggage down 1 flight of stairs. Those taking tours met in Club 88 about 8:15 to be led off the ship and gather their luggage before going through Customs.

The only tour I took was of the Everglades. I did that mostly to kill some time since I couldn’t check into my hotel until after 1 p.m. The airboat ride was fun (if you have wrap-around sunglasses, wear them – it will help keep bits of grass from flying into your eyes). After the brief alligator show, I got my picture taken holding “Snappyâ€. The it was off to the airport for 1:15 and on to another 2* Priceline hotel (which turned out to be about 5 blocks away from the 1st one). Now to rest up…3.5 months until my next cruise.

"Elvira"

Keep on Cruisin'

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;05;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500f Fascination 5/24/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;09;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500f Mariner of the Seas - Royal Hounds 9/19/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;09;17;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500f Caribbean Princess Hounds 3 Cruise 9/17/05

royalsmallwide.gif

hounds3.gif

"Elvira", thanks for the review! Helped me a lot in what I was wanting to know! One thing I am slightly "disappointed" in reading was how dark the ship was.... That was one of my wife's complaints about Conquest. Well, we shall see when we're onboard. icon_smile.gif

cubs_45.gifgreenlanthal.gifflash.gif

030203usf_prv.gif

05/24/03 Celebration -- Our first cruise!

12/07/03 Conquest

11/01/04 -- Fascination!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;11;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Thanks for the Fascination review, we loved that ship.

Dark yes, weird too if the mannequins are still placed about on the Promenade but I think it adds to the unique individuality that is so cool about each Carnival ship...they really are all different and have a different "feel" about them.

Good observation

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Sapphire Princess June '05

Caribbean Princess 09/17/05

Carnival Valor 10/30/05

Hi,

The mannequins are gone - so no longer weird....just Dark. The Dark in no way takes away from the fun this ship has to offer and at around 70,000 ton she is the "perfect" size : not TOO Big and not too Small. Easy to get around on and also run into the same people often enough to make it feel like "home".

Actually, I didn't think the Conquest was "Dark" when I sailed on her April 2003.

"Elvira"

Keep on Cruisin'

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;05;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500f Fascination 5/24/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;09;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500f Mariner of the Seas - Royal Hounds 9/19/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;09;17;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500f Caribbean Princess Hounds 3 Cruise 9/17/05

royalsmallwide.gif

hounds3.gif

Thanks for the review Elvira. I cannot wait. Luckily for me I have two golf tournaments to work on next week and I will be too busy to dwell on the fact that it's my last week till my cruise. I will be worn out and ready to relax.

And yes Keno shoes are great. I may just lay by the pool in Key West. I've been there many times and just want some sun and a drink. HA HA. PRAY FOR SUN EVERYONE!!!! Last time I cruised it rained every day.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;06;14;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Lido deck here I come!!

Thanks for your review! Six weeks, my kids can hardly wait! By the way did you notice if the slide was open?, thats something they really want to try. Glad you enjoyed yourself. It was so good to see a review of this ship.

Thanks for the review. We're on Imagination in a few weeks so your info is applicable to us. Where did you print the Key West coupons?

Thanks!

HM on Inspiration 3/9/03

Sovereign of the Seas 8/17/03 (Just Mom and I)

Imagination 6/17/04 (w/ the Inlaws!)

Appreciate your info on Fascination. We are sailing for Thanksgiving. Could you tell me the time and price for the everglades excursion?? We don't have a flight til 3:40PM so it might be a good choice for us post cruise.

Thanks

Chris Mitchell

16 Voyages completed 1999-2004, 81 wonderful days at sea

dreaming of ....

Norwegian Crown 8/04

Carnival Fascination 11/04

Hi all,

Time to answer some of the Questions:

Key West Coupons (Click on Restaurants & Bars):

http://www.keywestinfo.com/

Waterslide - was OPEN

Everglades Tour $35/person met at Club 88 by 8:15 a.m. and delivered you to Miami airport by 1:15 p.m.

Hope I covered all of them. Any more just ask away and I'll try to answer if I can.

"Elvira"

Keep on Cruisin'

royalsmallwide.gif

hounds3.gif

Hi Elvira,

Thanks for the review - to answer you question from other post - yes we were actually present for the hairy chest contest - we were behind you on the upper deck - prime seats to watch judges get "swept off their feet" LOL !!!

You were all very good dancers, btw icon_smile.gif

One question - how did this compare to some of your other cruises (RCCL / Princess) ??

I too thought that the ship was dark. Glad to see that they finally took those mannequins down. They were freaky looking and also in very bad shape. One of the ladies only had one arm. This was one of my least favorite ships that I have cruised.

Gordon

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingator

NCL Starward-86, Starship Atlantic-91, Caribe-92, Seabreeze-93, Fantasy-93, Norway-94, Celebration-94, Sensation-95, Imagination-96, Destiny-97, Celebration-98, Triumph-99, Victory-00, Majesty of the Seas-01, Fascination-01, Carnival Pride-02, Majesty of the Seas-02, Carnival Legend-02, Fantasy 7-03, Glory 9-03, Fantasy 11-03, Triumph 3/04.

9/02/2004 Fantasy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;9;2;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Navigator of the Seas 12/04/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Hi FD,

Glad you had good a good spot for the Hairy Chest contest (wonder if RCCL does this...have something special to pack if they do).

I like different things about different cruises. I like Carnival because it gives me an inexpensive get-away (Conquest, Fascination). I prefer Norwegian (sailed on Norway, Sun, Sky) for entertainment and food...also for their Free Style Dining. I haven't sailed RCCL or Princess....yet. RCCL (Mariner of the Seas) will be in about 3+ months and Princess won't be until 9/05 (still not 100% decided on this one-have deposit down, but might be looking at getting my own Group going if I find a ship/itinerary that I like more). I sailed on HAl and Cunard - but that was in the '70s so not really fair to compare. Cruise I really enjoyed was on American Hawaiian's Independence...but she isn't sailing anymore - but HAS been bought by Norwegian.

"Elvira"

Keep on Cruisin'

royalsmallwide.gif

hounds3.gif

Hi

I have a question about tendering in Key West. Looks like now Carnival is skipping Key West because the tendering made the passengers unhappy. What was your experience with tendering there? How large are the tenders, how long did you have to wait? Would you have wanted to skip Key West due to tenders and just have 5 more hours in Cozumel??

Thanks

Chris Mitchell

16 Voyages completed 1999-2004, 81 wonderful days at sea

dreaming of ....

Norwegian Crown 8/04

Carnival Fascination 11/04

Hi Chris,

I had no problem tendering. I had tender ticket #3 and was off very quickly. My only complaint was not enough time in Key West (and tendering made that time even shorter). I believe they said this is another reason they aren't stopping there until the pier work is done.

We got an extra hour in Cozumel and the best pier (in town). Had to be back on board by 10:30 (ships time).....I was back by 6:30 (Feet just said STOP lol).

Right now I'm looking for a spring 2005 cruise that will give me more time in Key West (and include Cozumel, Grand Cayman). I've found a few, just have to see if they sail when I want to. One is even in Key West until 10 p.m. (Mallory Square sunset !) Hoping to make this into a group if I can get enough interest.

"Elvira"

Keep on Cruisin'

royalsmallwide.gif

hounds3.gif

Hi Elvira,

Great review, Just a few questions;

What do these Kino's sandals look like?? any pic's? and how far is the Kino store from the pier when your at dock.

Which pier does the Fascinations dock at, I heard there are 3 ports?

What's the best things (MUST DO) to do when you get off the ship in Key West and Cozumel?

Do you see a lot of Iguana when you are walking? I heard the are very large and jumpy.

Thanks!

6/28 till the VICTORY

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;6;28;11;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived