Independent tour operators

Platypus

Hi Platypus- Someone had recommended a taxi driver to us for transportation during our 8 night stay in Aruba in September. His name is "Bully", which has nothing to do with his personality ;) , and he is very knowledgable about his island. He is also extremely dependable. Our luggage was delayed 45 minutes and we were not allowed out of customs. He was on the other side, and regardless, still waited for us. We used him for transportation to and from dinner every night during our entire trip.

This had been our 13th land based vacation on the island. While returning to the airport for our departure he took us on a tour of the island of the interior of the island. Excellent! You may contact him at bullytaxi79@hotmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We used aruba2go tours last year and had a fantastic day. The driver/guide we had was great and I think we saw the whole island, all the tourist spots and lot that weren't! There were 4 of us and it was a nice AC van (that you need believe me!)...he took us to a really nice place for lunch. It was one of our best tour days on the whole trip.

They were always very quick to respond to us via email pre cruise. I would highly recommend them.

I'm interested in finding a tour guide (individual person) who could take 2 people around and show them to the best shopping, one or two beaches, and around the island in general.

I used el tours and had a group of 30 folks or so- They were very good and nice vans.... took us all around the island, We went to Arashi Beach but I would suggest you say you want Eagle Beach esp if you want to rent jet ski's

eltours@setarnet.aw

any questions just ask

• 1 month later...
Hi,

We used aruba2go tours last year and had a fantastic day. The driver/guide we had was great and I think we saw the whole island, all the tourist spots and lot that weren't! There were 4 of us and it was a nice AC van (that you need believe me!)...he took us to a really nice place for lunch. It was one of our best tour days on the whole trip.

They were always very quick to respond to us via email pre cruise. I would highly recommend them.

What was the cost for the tour?

Ron Anderson

http://www.eltoursaruba.com/ EL Tours

http://www.eltoursaruba.com/tours.html Looks like they offer 4 tours ranging from 3 hours ($27 pp) to full day ($69 pp).

http://www.eltoursaruba.com/tours/cruise_tour.htm Cruise Ship Passengers (don't know what the difference is)

3 hour by bus (no price listed but their other 3 hour tour is $27 pp) or 4 hour by 4 X 4 ($55 pp)

We took the whole day tour, had lunch etc and really enjoyed it. I couldn't remember what we paid but found this old email so I am assuming we paid the higher price. It was well worth it. Robert is dutch himself which made it that much more interesting.

Following is the email:

Our basic island tour will take between 4 - 4,5 hour and we will visit:

Hadicurari & Malmok, California Lighthouse, Alto Vista chapel, Bushiribana gold mill ruins, Natural bridge, Casibari & Ayo rock formations, Frenchman's pass & Mino di oro, Spanisch Lagoon and more. (US$ 60 / person)

Its possible to extend the tour with a visit at Baby beach (maybe do some snorkeling) and a lunch. duration of the tour 5,5 - 6 hours. (US$ 75 person) lunch not included.

This is a private island tour just for the 4 of you.

With best regards,

Robert

My sister and I were there last March. If you want to save money, on a island tour make sure you go outside the main gate. There will be people offering you a tour. We went with someone in a air conditioned bus. I cant remember the drivers name but the tour was well worth it. I think they charged about half of what they wanted inside the gated compound. I dont remember, but I think the tour was about 15 or 20 dollars. We saw the california light house, drove around and went to casabiri, saw the rock formations, went to see the old gold mine on Arubas north shore, and went to the Natural land bridge. It was an awesome tour and I never felt uncomfortable. It was well worth the 20 bucks or so. They have a map to show you where you will be going so you know ahead of time.

We also did the tour similar to what you all were saying and beach time and it was $30 pp and you could not beat it I would NOT pay $60 or more though NOT worth it. the other thing is to rent a jeep or a car and go around ITS easy to get around there. and that is cheap to do also...

My expectations were so HIGH for aruba that I think I was a little let down, NOt that the beaches were not pretty, but I do ont know what it is, Been to so many islands and thought this one would be so much more.

I think its best to maybe fly in and stay there

Hi Lisa and Platy,

You might also look up Mr Marco Wix. He does a wonderful job with private tours of all sizes. I have recommended him to many guests and all have been very happy with his professionalism and his island knowledge.

http://www.wixtours.com

Sunny regards,

Carla

we used Wix tours on our land trip to aruba a few years back. they are very small but they were great. Mark was our driver...we just wanted an island tour. Wound up only being me & my mom.......we still got to see everything we wanted..and for a much lower price than DePalm.

• 1 year later...

I just returned from Aruba and would not recommend any tour arranged by the ATOA, they do not provide what was promised and the cost was more than advertised. Would instead book directly with an independent tour company or, if you are on a cruise, directly with the ship. Avoid the ATOA website and you should do ok.

We also did the tour similar to what you all were saying and beach time and it was $30 pp and you could not beat it I would NOT pay $60 or more though NOT worth it. the other thing is to rent a jeep or a car and go around ITS easy to get around there. and that is cheap to do also...

My expectations were so HIGH for aruba that I think I was a little let down, NOt that the beaches were not pretty, but I do ont know what it is, Been to so many islands and thought this one would be so much more.

I think its best to maybe fly in and stay there

My DH and I kind of agree with you too. We don't really like the big city atmosphere of Oranjestad but I really did enjoy the uniqueness of the countryside and the natural beauty, although we were very disappointed in the litter everywhere. This was a few years ago so maybe things have been cleaned up. I hope so.

There are four of us arriving on Aruba off the Maasdam on Wed. March 12th. After reading many threads and posts with regard to touring the island, I understand that there are private tour operators outside the main gate? Can we book something that morning or is it advised to book in advance? I just don't want to be tied down and we were trying to remain flexible for Aruba. Our plan is to get out of the city to see as much of the island as possible but with just the four of us or possibly two more. Thanks for any info. We are reluctant to rent a vehicle, which I know many people do, but my DS is fearful of the risks.

There are a number of references to the ABC jeep safari tours in various threads in the Aruba forum. I haven't come across any negative ones and so will likely book the half day tour with them for when we are there in March. If you search through the other Aruba threads, you should find some reports on the ABC experiences.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Lisa and Platy,

You might also look up Mr Marco Wix. He does a wonderful job with private tours of all sizes. I have recommended him to many guests and all have been very happy with his professionalism and his island knowledge.

www.wixtours.com

Sunny regards,

Carla

I second that!!! VERY nice, personalized...not huge like DePalm.....willing to charge us the rate that ABC quoted when ABC referred Wix to me due to ABC being booked.....(like 30 PP Vs 35 PP!)....we wound up paying the higher price....got a great tour!

We are booked with Wix for a morning jeep tour March 22 (sailing in a week; hooray!). ABC had indicated their tour went a little to long for us to get back to our ship as we leave port in Aruba at 1pm. Wix booked us in as their jeep tour starts a little earlier. I have sent Wix a couple of emails recently though asking them to confirm that we will be back to the ship in time and haven't had a reply back so am a little nervous. Did anyone else have experience with Wix where they had to be back for a early sailing like 1pm?

We will be going to Aruba for the first time in May, 2009 with an all-day stop. We'll be looking for a nice tour of the island with some beach/snorkeling time and possibly some time time for shopping back near the ship. I want to keep this thread on my User CP for reference! I hope you all post a review of your tours when you get back.:)

Archived