Volendam review FINAL words 11/13 -11/23

cigarman

I would like to add a final report of our cruise on the Volendam.

Although she was launched in 1999 the Volendam is showing some signs of age. On the outside the ship is very well maintained, no small task. While we were in Curacao or Dominica some crew members were busy painting her hull in that dark blue we all love. Most of the outside areas are painted as needed and appear very crisp and rust free.

The interior of this very fine ship is another matter. In some areas the carpeting I feel needs to be replaced. Really not that bad but I notice things like that. Also, where once only fresh flowers graced the passageways in the public spaces, now plastic flowers fill in with the live ones to fill the flower displays. (Cost cutting I guess) And I think the overuse of that orange color is a bit much for me.

The main dining room chairs are also in need of some recovering or replacement. The rest of the dining room is grand in it’s layout and decor. I like the stars on the main ceiling shinning over the chandeliers. And on the port side upper level across from our table (78) two windows are in need of repair due to cracks. The food was very good to excellent at each meal and the variety is more then you can hope to sample.

The crew is outstanding and friendly. They all seem able to learn your names in one day and remember what you drink, what type of after dinner items you like(tea, coffee) and how you like it. Never had to ask for my Earle Grey after the first night.

Our cabin steward was there when we needed him and did such a great job in keeping our cabin clean and well stocked. My DW will miss him a lot.

So all in all, this was a very fine cruise. Our second on HAL, but for sure not our last. I already picked up the Alaska tour book and we are looking at that cruise for 2007. So to all my CC friends and neighbors, I would like to thank you for reading my reviews and I hope that you enjoyed them and learned something about the Lady we call "Volendam".

Calm seas and warm breezes to you all

Roy and Debbie K.

I'm so glad that you had a pleasant voyage, Roy!

2 questions....

*Would you be kind enough to email me a link to your pictures? nanzo@datasync.com

*Tell me about the dress on your cruise. Although we plan on eating in our cabin most nights, I'm curious.... it seems as though folks are reporting alot of blue jeans, etc. On the other hand, the "old liners" are insisting that the cruise will be full of Tuxes. (Which wasn't the case when my gal friend went several months back.

How about some feedback on apparel?

Thanks again, dude!:D

Cigarman,

Thanks for the great review. DW and I will be on the Volendam on Dec 13th and enjoyed your insight. We were on a previous incarnation of the Volendam for our Honeymoon and first cruise back in '83. We love cruising with any line, but look forward to be back on her namesake.

PS.

I think your photos are at Yahoo. You can share the album they are in and then they will be available for everyone to view at:

pictures.yahoo.com/username

were username is your account name. But you need to go into the photo section of Yahoo Pictures, select the album your pictures are in, and then make them public. You can then post the link in the forum for everyone to view them.

I'm so glad that you had a pleasant voyage, Roy!

2 questions....

*Would you be kind enough to email me a link to your pictures? nanzo@datasync.com

*Tell me about the dress on your cruise. Although we plan on eating in our cabin most nights, I'm curious.... it seems as though folks are reporting alot of blue jeans, etc. On the other hand, the "old liners" are insisting that the cruise will be full of Tuxes. (Which wasn't the case when my gal friend went several months back.

How about some feedback on apparel?

Thanks again, dude!:D

I was on the Nov 13 cruise too. I did not see any jeans in the dining room. The dress code seemed to followed in the dining room for lunch and dinner. I did walk through the Lido a couple of nights and the code was relaxed there but my no mean extremely casual about the most casual thing was nice shorts or a nice sweat suit in the Lido. I think this was a well dressed crowd, we had about 50% Europeans on the cruise and they tended to be very nicely dressed. Cheers.

IOn the other hand, the "old liners" are insisting that the cruise will be full of Tuxes...How about some feedback on apparel?

"Formal" covers a lot of ground. HAL is perhaps a bit more formal than some lines (like Carnival?) but there is still a lot of variation. In general on formal night you will see some gentlemen in tuxedos, but most of them will be in simple dark suits. A few will just be in blazers or sports coats or sweaters, and a few will be in formal kilts, dinner jackets, or other fancy stuff! The ladies will vary even more. There will be lots of long gowns, some red sequin jobs cut down to THERE, feather boas, plenty of cocktail dresses, lots of little black dresses with pearls, some lounging pajamas, party or go to church dresses, slacks outfits, kimonos, saris and even business suits. As a general rule, wear what you feel you look your best in! If you think that you look good, you will be fine! Renée and I like to dress up so I pack my tux and she takes some long formals. But that is our choice. Lots of people don't.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived