World Cruise Blog from Therapst and Therapst's Lady

travel-to-go

Hi Cruise Critics.

I have offered to help Randy and Mary with their blog, reporting on their combined Holiday cruise, January short cruise and World Cruise, by posting to cruise critics what they have composed off-line and sent to me. I will likely break it up into separate posts, depending on subject and length. Feel free to give them your feedback or questions.

So enjoy this first of (hopefully) many reports "from the field"

Preface

This blog is being written by us about our voyages on the QM2 during late December of 2006 through early April of 2007. Our original booking was for the QM2 Maiden World Cruise of 81 days, round-trip from Fort Lauderdale. Later, a 14-day voyage over the holidays beginning December 23 was added, as well as the four-day Caribbean Sampler on January 6, effectively constructing a 99-day world voyage including segments to both the Eastern and Western Caribbean.

What we hope to accomplish is to share our experiences with our Cruise Critic friends and community, point out the high spots (and perhaps the not-so-high spots) of our time onboard the Great Lady, and at times respond to questions you may have for us as our journey progresses. We hope to post at least weekly if not more frequently, and undoubtedly, factors such as effective internet availability and, of course, perceived reader interest will all have a bearing on this effort.

So all that having been said, let us proceed to…..

Arrival in Fort Lauderdale – 12/22/06

1. We stayed at the Fort Lauderdale Grande Hotel, which used to be the Marriott Marina Hotel and is presently undergoing extensive refurbishment. The key phrase here is "extensive refurbishment." Meaning, for example, that if you want to have dinner at the hotel, you eat outside by the pool. Meaning that room service consists of a very short "Bento Box" menu. However, the room was nice and the A/C and TV functioned properly, so not all was lost. We imagine the hotel will be quite nice by Spring, when the renovation is scheduled for completion.

2. Coincidentally, Cunard used this property for their pre-cruise package (at least for the 12/23 sailing). We spoke briefly with the Cunard rep in the lobby and she indicated that she was expecting a good number of passengers to check in here. Their bus wasn't leaving the hotel for the ship until 1:00 PM. (We planned to leave for the ship shortly after the 11:00 AM check-out time.)

3. There were some beautiful, and HUGE, private yachts docked there at the marina. We're talking ocean-going vessels in the range of 120' or so, with multiple decks, all the latest electronic goodies, and access ramps with video cameras, back-lighted keypads, and intercoms. It looked like a new yacht "showroom" since the boats were so shiny and new. The “word on the street” had it that one of the largest of them is owned by Wayne Huizenga, former owner of Blockbuster Video, who arrives and departs via helicopter. Even their anchors and hawse lines appeared as if brand new.

4. It turned out that Carolyn Spencer Brown, Cruise Critic Editor, had been on the QM2 during the previous week, and she graciously offered to arrange a CC get-together for the 12/23 passengers with some of the ship's staff on Sunday in the Commodore Lounge. She even arranged for it to be published in the Daily Programme. A big "Thank You" goes out to Carolyn for her help with this!

(part 2 coming up)

Karie,

posting for Therapst (Randy) and Therapst's Lady (Mary) aboard the QM2

(part 2)

Embarkation and the First 48 Hours

As it turned out, we were wise to head over to the ship early, because airport delays at Denver, London, and even Fort Lauderdale itself contributed to many passengers not arriving at the ship until the mid- to late-afternoon. We reached Port Everglades at 11:30 AM and were onboard the ship within one hour. It seems as if the embarkation process has been significantly improved since the bad experiences of the passengers on the December 2 and 9 voyages. All of the Cunard representatives in the embarkation area with whom we had contact were extremely friendly and helpful. And no, we were not Grill passengers nor did we have World Club Platinum status, so we were not in an expedited check-in area.

On the way from the check-in counter to the ship itself, there were of course the ship’s photographers taking embarkation photos. There was also a reservation table for the Todd English restaurant.

We were efficiently directed to the proper lifts, where a white-gloved crew member called for an elevator and even pressed the correct deck number. We were in our cabin on deck 8 (obstructed-view balcony) in no time at all. We had a great deal of luggage due to the length of our voyage, and most of it arrived at our cabin almost immediately, and the remaining two bags a short while later.

We had been concerned that for such a long voyage, our cabin space might be deficient in terms of closet space, but this turned out not to be the case. The cabin is very pleasant, bright, and roomy. The bathroom is compact but larger than some we have had on other cruise lines. Our room steward is very pleasant and efficient, and he never batted an eye when we asked him for extra towels, pillows, etc.

(Part 3 coming up)

Karie,

posting for Therapst (Randy) and Therapst's Lady (Mary) from aboard the QM2

(part 3)

The Ship

The Queen Mary 2 is every bit as elegant as we had hoped, and then some. We’ve all seen photographs of her public areas and cabin types, but actually experiencing her grandeur is another thing altogether. We totally understand how Patwell fell in love with the ship and didn’t want to disembark!

And, it is huge. We are now over 48 hours into our voyage, and there are public areas we haven’t even seen yet. Also, the ship is beautifully decorated for the holidays, with Christmas trees of every variety and theme in abundance, as well as smaller decorations and lights. Many staff members have been wearing Santa hats or antlers since Christmas Eve and throughout Christmas day.

Britannia Dining Room

One of our first stops once we got settled into our cabin was to the Britannia Dining Room to see an assistant Maitre’d about our table assignment. We had requested a table for two, only to find that we were seated at a table for eight. Somehow, they had our dining request linked to a group request. Fortunately, we were able to switch to a table for two on the upper level of the dining room along the glass balcony overlooking the lower level.

The Britannia is definitely the most beautiful dining room we have experienced at sea. And although the room is very large (it is designed to seat nearly 3,000 passengers in two sittings), it is laid out in such a way that its size gives way to a feeling of comfortable coziness. The lighting in the room varies in intensity to reflect the change from daylight to evening, and the great lighted dome even changes colors from time to time.

Service the first evening was somewhat rushed. We literally finished dinner, including dessert, in less than an hour. Fortunately, the past two nights have improved quite a bit in that regard, and our waiter, assistant waiter, wine steward, and head waiter have all been helpful in meeting our expectations.

The food has been excellent, both in taste and in presentation. At this point, we have only had dinner in the Britannia and cannot comment yet on breakfast or lunch service there.

King’s Court

We have enjoyed the King’s Court for lunch and we have to report that it bears no resemblance to the horror stories that we had read in some earlier reviews. It is true that there are four separate serving venues, each with very different offerings, but our suggestion would be to check them all out first. There is lots of seating available, and this is during a Christmas voyage that is completely sold out. The Chef’s Galley has great made-to-order burgers, hot dogs, fries, and deli sandwiches. Other areas, of course, serve a wide variety of both hot and cold

dishes.

(part 4 coming up)

Karie,

posting for Therapst (Randy) and Therapst's Lady (Mary) aboard QM2

(Part 4)

Ambience

There is no question that dress is more formal on the QM2 than on other ships on which we have sailed. The Captain’s cocktail party for Britannia passengers was held in the Queen’s Room on the second night of the voyage. The room was nicely decorated in understated elegance and passengers were resplendent in evening gowns, tuxedos, and dark suits. One could easily imagine an earlier era of ocean travel.

Entertainment

We have seen three formal shows to date. The welcome-aboard show was a teaser of things to come. Rock at The Opera was a delight to the senses, professionally performed singing and dancing combined with high-tech lighting, atmospheric, and pyrotechnic wizardry. This production was far above the typical cruise ship entertainment offering. On Christmas night, a special show was presented, featuring singing and dancing artists, a flutist from London’s Royal Academy of Music, and a performance by the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts (RADA). We were pleasantly amazed by the quality of the show that the QM2 presented for a once-annual occasion.

There are movies in Illuminations, and fun trivia contests in the Golden Lion Pub, where a more informal and relaxed atmosphere prevails. Of course, there is also the ballroom dancing at the balls held in the Queen’s Room.

We enjoyed the Cosmic Collisions show in the Illuminations planetarium. Narrated by Robert Redford, this multi-sensory experience explained how collisions between planets, comets, and galaxies can have both positive and negative consequences for life on Earth.

As we write this, a Christmas Grand Buffet is being prepared in the corridors outside the Britannia on deck 2, and passengers have been advised to bring cameras to photograph what promises to be a spectacular event.

(More to follow)

Hope you all have enjoyed this.

I will post them as I get them, and I thank Randy and Mary for taking the time to let us viacariously enjoy their cruise.

Karie,

posting for Therapst (Randy) and Therapst's Lady (Mary) aboard the QM2

Good Morning Randy and Mary... and a belated Bon Voyage on what should be the voyage of a lifetime. How I envy you the experience and thanks so much for being willing to share it with us land-locked souls. I'll look forward to living vicariously through you as you discover all sorts of wonders. I wondered how the closets would stand up to a world cruise wardrobe as I pretty much filled them for one week!!! I hope "the Book" wil prove helpful and hope you'll make suggestions for me to add to it for the future.

Mary....did you find my claw marks in the carpets yet? Or were they able to get them out? I left them in various places starting with my cabin. I'm so glad you are discovering the beauty of QM2 as the rest of us did. I hope she will continue to fulfill your expectations. Be sure to check in at the Commodore Club and find out why so many of us think that's the greatest room at sea...just ask Pepper!! And if you run into "Nico", the funniest waiter in there (he has these strange bangs in sharp points) tell him his silver haired "sister" says hello. He leaves the ship in january.

Enjoy, enjoy , enjoy....and happy holidays to you. What a place to spend them! And thanks Karie for acting as scribe as Beth did for me. Our CC family is so helpful!!

Cheers, Penny...still wishfully "Live from the QM2"

Thanks for posting these, I m really enjoying them. Randy & Mary, if you run across a bar waiter on the open decks with a Jason name plate give him my regards. He's a long time friend.

I can't imagine the adventure of 99 days on my favorite ship, did your cabin steward store your suitcases for you? Surely they wouldn't all fit under your bed?

What a wonderful way to start the day!! And to think, we are going to enjoy these "live from" posts until April.

Randy and Mary, thank you so much for taking the time to post your experiences. A World Cruise is a dream of mine! So glad that things are going well for you and that you are having a great time.

We all eagerly await the next installment! What fun for all of us at home to get to live this experience with you.

Happy Sailing!!

And Karie, thank you for taking time to post this for all of us to enjoy!!!

Beth

Randy and Mary

What a delight to see these posts, I am so pleased that you, like so may others, have fallen for the "Queen of the Oceans" QM2. I am very jealous of you and will be so for the next few months. Bon Voyage!

As Penny has said above, wait till you experience our favorite room on board, the Commodore Club (if you miss the signs to the room, look for Penny's claw marks in the carpets and follow them back to the 'Club from where she was dragged shouting "Nooooooo" at the end of her voyage). It is quite the best and most sophisticated room on board any liner, and until QV comes into service, the only forward facing lounge/bar that Cunard has.

Looking forward to reading more as you explore the ship and have many adventures at sea and on land.

Very best wishes to you both and to the wonderful Karie for posting

Pepper....LOL!!! But oh how true!!! And the biggest claw marks of all they were too!! Pepper and I have discovered a mutual love affair with that grand room. It was the last place I visited before disembarking (sob)...I just had to try to take that glorious essence away with me.

Are you suffering CC withdrawal pangs too Pepper??

Cheers, Penny....still wishfully "Live from the QM2"

Randy and Mary,

Don't forget to ask Paul in Commodore for his banana Dophin! And I will post pictures for you also! (Despite my mental handicap!<LOL>)

And cusyl- They have one of those "high rise beds" You know, the one with three or four feet of suitcases under it!<G>

And I'll say it before Cusyl gets the chance! Ask the librarian for the Cruise Critics log book. Peruse the names and comments of those who have gone before you. Memorialize your trip by inscribing in the book also! Maybe several times as you go along!

And I am checking on those adoption papers. As soon as they come through I will join you at the next embarkation port. And I promise to do all of the ironing, tux shirt pleats included! <LOL>

Karie,

who is posting as herself right now, and who is honored to volunteer as poster for such a marvelous couple on the trip of a lifetime!

Penny

Are you suffering CC withdrawal pangs too Pepper??

I'll say I am, and there's no "Commodore Club Addicts" therapy group or counseling help listed in my local 'phone book. Cunard are cruel, making us go cold turkey on disembarkation day. The only help I can find is this

www.virtualtoursusa.com/tours/queenmary2/commodore.htm

Anyone who has yet to travel on this Liner and therefore has never enjoyed an evening in this room cannot imagine how special this bar is. You have described the atmosphere better than anyone. It is simply superb.

I'm now planning another crossing in '08 followed by a cruise. Got to get my fix.

With very best wishes.

Pepper...WOW...where'd you find that!! What a way to start the day....now that's a bookmark for sure. Thanks so much for sharing. I tried to access just the site without the Commodore CLub but it denied me access, so you must be a magician of sorts. This should help with the daily withdrawal symptoms!!

I too am planning the next for 2008...don't know how I'll wait that long but I'd love to be aboard QM2 when the 3 Queens meet in NY. Anyone out there have any details on this? Cunard hasn't a clue what will happen when I email them to ask.:rolleyes:

Cheers, and thanks again....Penny....who is truly missing the Commodore CLub several times a day (and I don't even drink!!!)

Pepper my dear...you are a veritable saint!! :D What a fix I'll get when I finish my housework and can luxuriate in my favorite places thanks to you. It worked!!! How did I miss this site...I swear I've looked at EVERYTHING online about the QM2!! And I now owe you big time!! Sail with us on a cruise and I'll buy you a drink in...where else?? The Commodore Club!!! :D

Yippee...this is such a treat...I'll whiz thru the laundry with this waiting for me!;)

Cheers, Penny...who will be "cruising" the QM2 this afternoon thanks to my buddy Pepper.

Here it is folks! I don't know when Randy finds time to do this. But I am happy to pass it along!

Be sure to tell Amanda Reid for me that she helped make our January Panama Cruise special. I am sure she won't remember us, she sees so many wonderful unforgettable people week to week!. Just tell her I still enjoy my QM2 hat from my slightly improved Golden Lion Pub Trivia winnings. and I will treasrue always my dinner at the Captain's table. We gave a Whit Star card on her to the pursor's desk when we were on in September, and explained why we had not dones so at the time. I think she is an incredible asset to the line. She represents them well.

Here goes!

(P.S. I think Randy. Pepper, and Penny are going to have to start a Cunard Onboard Writer's Guild! )

Replies to Comments and Questions

First of all, a BIG Thank You to Karie for posting this blog for us.

Karie, be sure to let us know when the adoption is final so that we can get you on board. We have yet to ask Paul about the Banana Dolphin.

Penny, surprisingly, the size of the wardrobe is fine for what we brought. We basically packed for two weeks and will obviously be making use of the laundry facilities. “The Book” is indeed most helpful, and you really should consider having it published. We must tell you that we did see the claw marks in the Commodore Club and overheard several officers talking about replacing the carpet. We hope they don’t send you a bill J.

Cusyl, we haven’t run into Jason yet, but if we do, we’ll certainly give him your regards. Much, but not all, of our luggage does fit under the bed. We are living with the few extra pieces in the cabin until we move to our cabin for the World Cruise. Also, please be assured that we did, indeed, sign the Cruise Critic log book in the library.

Pepperrn, we’re so glad you’re booking a crossing in ’08 followed by a cruise. It does appear to be the case that being on the QM2 is addictive, doesn’t it?

Halfway Through Week One—Miscellaneous Notes

Our Cruise Critic meeting on Sunday was small in numbers, but high in enthusiasm, the former likely caused by the fact that it is a holiday cruise. We were pleased to have both Amanda Reid, Assistant Cruise Director, and Social Hostess Anja come to the meeting to welcome us. Whenever we see either of them on board, they always go out of their way to be friendly and make us feel at home.

We very much enjoyed attending the World Club cocktail party Tuesday evening where we had the opportunity to chat with the Captain and his senior officers. An award was presented to the most-traveled couple with Cunard; this is their 44th Cunard voyage!

The evening entertainment continues to be outstanding. Last evening was Comedy Central with two different acts, the Moosen Men and Jeff Wayne—both of them very entertaining. This evening’s show featured award-winning flautist Suzanne Godfrey and Broadway actress Jeri Sager, who received a well-deserved standing ovation for her singing performance.

Compared to other cruise ships we’ve sailed on, the television programming is much more professionally managed. This is true in terms of channel availability, content, signal quality, and overall production values. The morning “Wake-up with Ray” show, featuring Cruise Director Ray Rouse and daily guests, provides a very informative way to start the day.

A clarification about the dress code regarding ‘elegant casual’: the Daily Programme defines this as follows: “for gentlemen, no jacket is required, a collared shirt with slacks is perfectly appropriate; for ladies, a blouse with skirt or slacks.” On those nights when the dress code is formal, the following statement appears in the Daily Programme: “dress codes will be enforced in the Britannia, Grill, and Todd English Restaurants.” Therefore, it appears that casual clothes are fine any evening for dinner in the King’s Court.

This evening we enjoyed dinner in The Carvery in the King’s Court. Mary had prime rib and Randy had rotisserie chicken. Both meals were delicious and were served just as they would have been in the Britannia dining room.

Okay, here comes some unusually high praise from Randy. He had booked a hot stone massage at the Canyon Ranch Spa today and reported that it was the best massage he ever enjoyed. This comes from someone who is somewhat of a massage connoisseur! Something tells me he’ll go back again.

(more to follow)

There you have it!

Karie,

posting for Randy (Therapst) and Mary (Therapst's Lady) onboard the QM2

This is so exciting to get the "live from" reports from Mary and Randy. Thanks so much. Randy, did you enjoy the aqua therapy center when you had your hot stone massage? I think it is one of the most relaxing places I have ever been! Hard to believe you are on a ship! Can't wait for the next report.

Beth and Jerry

I am enjoying reading your postings, Therapst and Therapst's Lady. My appetite for being aboard the QM2 and meeting you has certainly been whetted. Hopefully there can be some sort of CCers gathering on the four night St. Thomas cruise.

I certainly like to thank Travel-To-Go for her invaluable efforts in keeping the epistles coming!:)

Thanks for posting these, I m really enjoying them. Randy & Mary, if you run across a bar waiter on the open decks with a Jason name plate give him my regards. He's a long time friend.

I can't imagine the adventure of 99 days on my favorite ship, did your cabin steward store your suitcases for you? Surely they wouldn't all fit under your bed?

hi cusyl i met a bartender named jason and he asked me if a new of a cc member named mr rusk from florida could that be your family !!! please advise best regards jim and ang

hi cusyl i met a bartender named jason and he asked me if a knew of a cc member named mr rusk from florida could that be your family !!! please advise best regards jim and ang

No, that may be his friend in Ft Lauderdale. He is very thin and Filipino, works mostly on the open decks and Queens Room.

I saw you at the World Club party with your wife and he was working there. Jason is a bar waiter, not a bartender. :D

No, that may be his friend in Ft Lauderdale. He is very thin and Filipino, works mostly on the open decks and Queens Room.

I saw you at the World Club party with your wife and he was working there. Jason is a bar waiter, not a bartender. :D

when jason the bartender found out i was a cc member he asked if i knew mr rusk which is a frequent patron of the qm-2!!! ps is the pirate still inflated??? happy and healthy new year jim and ang

I love reading this thread as we will be on the 2008 QV World Cruise. A reference was made about how helpful "The Book" is. Would someone please fill me in on "The Book"? Thanks!

Hi jeno

"The Book" is wonderful Penny's (Patwell) faboulous bible of all things QM2 which she has very generously made available to CC members. It is a superb collection of places to see, tips and hints and things not to miss while on board. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Pepper.

Archived