Sapphire Princess quick review

prarie cruiser

Just off the Sapphire on 06/27. Trip overall was excellent. Weather was unusually warm and dry. Here is a very quick review.

Embarkation--used the Princess transfer from airport and found it easy to use, although there was a brief wait for a bus. Got to the embarkation area about 11:00 and had a very easy check in. Later heard one handicap passenger complain of very long wait for handicap passengers in a special line.

Debarkation very fast and easy and I was to the airport early waiting for my flight.

Ship and cabin-- very nice,many improvements from the Grand Princess. Had Caribe 501 and was pleased with the extra large, partially covered balcony. Showers are bigger than Island Princess. Rooms quiet.

Dining--perhaps my biggest criticism. I made reservations for each of the personal choice dining areas immediately upon boarding ship. Food in those areas very good, and service was excellent except in Sterling Dining. One night in Sterling it took over 40 minutes to take my order, although we did get bread in the meantime. Otherwise, in other dining areas very fast. I just don't like having to make reservations to eat.

Horizon Court--I usually really like the Horizon Court but did not like very well on this particular trip. Lots of rice and pasta based dishes and cheaper desserts, but they did have afternoon ice cream. Found it overcrowded on one particular occassion at noon on a port day.

Shows--Don't miss the Piano Man show it was great. Enjoyed the juggler Dan Bennett and also the first night comedian. As usual, lots of music available on Princess ships which I very much appreciate in the atrium area,

Slots--lets just say I had a good time there.

Excursions--Excellent excursions. Tendered to the dock at Juneau but then the ship docked later for boarding. No problems there. Victoria was another matter. Princess did a just awful job of getting people organized for the tours and many were angry and confused. I succeeded in getting off the ship at 5:20 for a 5:00 tour but still made the tour. However, they need to work on the organization there.

I had my 80 plus mother along so we took easy excursions. In Ketchikan went to Saxman Village and enjoyed it, but I have a fascination with totem poles and native cultures. Then did some souvenir hunting there.

At Juneau, did the Mendenhall glacier and Wildlife Excursion. Saw lots of humpbacks, orcas, eagles, sea lions, deer. Fantastic tour led by Cpt. Chris. I highly reccomend it. At Skagway did the White Pass Railway and also enjoyed the scenery. Victoria did a bus highlight tour and really enjoyed it.

Wonderful scenery, a great ship and crew, would highly recommend the ship and trip. Weather was unusually warm so did not use cold weather clothing except a sweatshirt one day.

Thanks for a quick review to quench our thirst of information:) . We will be on PC dining, too. This will be our first PC dining experience.

You did not mention pre-cruise excursion in Seattle. Did you hear anything about the Monorail being fixed or not? We will stay at the Westin and plan to take the Monorail to the Space Needle. Thanks :)

Florida Beach....the Monorail is closed for the summer. Too much risk of an accident. You can get busses to the Seattle Center from downtown, but not as convenient as the Monorail.

Bill

Florida Beach....the Monorail is closed for the summer. Too much risk of an accident. You can get busses to the Seattle Center from downtown, but not as convenient as the Monorail.

Bill

Cruzbw,

Thanks for the info. We will meet with local friends before and after cruise, but just want to ride the monorail for the experience. Maybe next time :)

Slots--lets just say I had a good time there.

HAH! :D Sounds like my mother-in-law fresh off the riverboats!

If you saved the Patters and/or Menus from your cruise, I would LOVE to add them to my site! Please checkout the link below and consider it. ;)

JON

Archived