Egypt/Nile Cruise during Thanksgiving 2004

Robb

Anyone going on this cruise? Everyone says we are crazy to be going to this part of the world at this time. I have always wanted to visit the ancient sites in Egypt and feel that the risk is minimal.

Anyone done this cruise before and have any advice?

Keep on cruising,

Robb

Robb,

We returned from our fifth visit to Egypt in January. Security in the normal tourist sites is much stronger than it used to be, and provided you don't go too far off the beaten track, everything should be fine.

The best bet for a first time is Luxor to Aswan or vice versa, as this crams in the most sights in the shortest distance. The main general advice I would offer is that you do the research - Egypt has a near 6,000 year history, and it is easy to get confused by so many temples and tombs, and some background knowledge is a big help.

As well as books, you might like to try http://www.touregypt.net which is a huge site with lots of short articles to get a feel for the ancient civilisation.

Hope this helps, and enjoy it if you do go.

We did the Grand Circle Travel trip to Egypt in February and it was terrific. Six nights in Cairo and seven on the Nile on Grand Circle's River Anuket. Never felt concerned about security and everything about the trip was first class.

Thanks, that is the same river boat we will be on. Sounds like the same trip. We have opted to take the extra excursion to Abu Simbel. I know it is expensive, but I figured we may never have ther opportunity to do this again. We have two trips sched. before the November trip but I think I am more excited about Egypt than either of the others. We leave in two weeks for Scandinavia/Russia, two week cruise on Royal Carib's brand new Jewel of the Seas and in Sept. we have a one week cruise to Bermuda.

Keep on cruising,

Robb

We went on the Nile cruise the October after 9/11. People thought we were nuts. We felt very safe and had a wonderful time. Are they still offering the post trip to Jordon. If so, it is well worth the trip. The people in Egypt were very sympathetic to us about 9/11. A woman at the Cairo museum actually cried when she talked to us. Go---and have a great time.

Anyone going on this cruise? Everyone says we are crazy to be going to this part of the world at this time. I have always wanted to visit the ancient sites in Egypt and feel that the risk is minimal.

Anyone done this cruise before and have any advice?

Keep on cruising,

Robb

Robb,

http://**********************/modules.php?name=Forums

I have a report with a link to some pixtures in the reader review section of Cruise Buggie.

I loved the trip in 1996. My watch was stolen in Buenos Aires. No one on our trip lost anything in Egypt. I felt safe in Egypt. I would follow the guides recommendations about not going in certain areas.

I don't think I would wave any American Flags around. Some people over there might take offense.

I'd buy a stick pin from Egypt and wear it.

Happy July 4th.! We went with BJR to Egypt 6 weeks after 9/11. The people were very symphathetic to what had happened to us. Keep in mind, Egypt is a third world country. America represented safety and freedom. 9/11 destroyed that "hope" or dream if you wish. Security was never a problem for the tourist. (Although the media did not publish this fact- 700 American tourists were "stranded" in Cairo when all flights to the US were suspended. The Egyptian government quietly paid all expenses for those tourists for one week until they were able to return to the US.)Go- enjoy this ancient civilization-it is a wonder! YOU WILL NEVER REGRET HAVING SEEN IT-YOU WILL ALWAYS REGRET NOT SEEING IT!

Thanks, Oh, yes!! We are definitely taking the trip. Been paid up for some time now. I Know about being stranded. We were on a cruise during the 9/11 happenings and ended up stranded in Amsterdam. We had no luggage, temp was in upper 30's to low 40's and I was wearing a tee shirt and shorts. No place to even buy a sweatshirt. Nearly froze.

It is with GC. 4-5 days in Cairo-then cruise down the Nile for 7-8 days. Taking a side trip to Abu Simbel, extra expense but figured I may never have the opportunity again.

Thanks to all who have responded.

Robb

We are Yvon and David and we are going on the GCT Nile Trip on Feb 19th. We are also doing the pre trip to Jerusalem. I am a little worried about that but figure it may be our only chance. We are also taking the trip to Abu Simbel, and are thinking about the balloon ride over Luxor, its a lot of money, but it just sounds so romantic.

If you have any advise or suggestions, we would love to have them. What is the difference between the Mezzanine deck and the Lounge deck? Is it worth the extra money? Can you stay on the boat if you don't feel like walking one day? Sometimes my husband gets tired of sight seeing!

Any help you can give will be much appreciated.

Yvon

Since we have never been there before I can give little advice. We would have loved to do both the pre- and post-cruise trips but due to time restrictions on our vacation it is impossible.

I do not know about the different levels of the ship. When we booked (some friends we met on a cruise last year invited us to join them) there were only three cabins left and they were all the same category. We just took what was available.

Another optional excursion we are taking is to Alexandria. I think the price was $60 each. You come back on a train. Thought that would be exciting.

How can one get tired of sight seeing??? Isn't that the purpose of a vacation? HA!!!! With the river cruise ships being so small there is not much else to do. We are hoping to do a lot of our Christmas shopping while on the trip. Not sure if everyone will appreciate the sort of gifts that are purchased in Egypt but that will be their problem. I understand that shopping there is a hoot.

Keep on cruising,

Robb

Yvon,

Yes, you can stay on the boat if you don't want to join the tour, and it's not unusual to get "templed out" after a few days. You just need to do your research and work out which sights are "must-sees", and which could be skipped. We have five visits to Egypt under our belt (so far), and a peaceful break from the walking is definitely welcome.

If you want, I can let you know which bits of your itinerary I think are definites?

Richard

Yes, a list of 'must see' sites and even more important a list of 'do not waste your time' sites would be most helpful. One thing I will not miss is a chance to ride a camel. My granddaughter will not forgive me if I come home without photographic proof if me on a camel.

Thanks in advance

Robb

Yes please, a list of must sees would be very helpful. I think we will do the Alexandria tour as I have read a lot about that city and would really like to see it. Any help you can give will be much appreciated.

On our Nile cruise, we are starting at Luxor, then going to an animal hospital (I don't think so!) The next day we go to Necropolis of Thebes, the Valley of the Kings, and on to Quena. Day 3 the Dendera Temple complex and sail back to Luxor. Day 4 Optional balloon ride at dawn, the temple of Karnak, and on to Esna Lock. Day 5 Edfu's Temple of Horus, and sail to Kom Ombo. Day 6 Kom Ombo and dock at Aswan High Dam and the Temple of Isis. Day 7 Abu Simbel optional tour. and a cruise on a felucca sailboat. Day 8 fly back to Cairo.

I probably left some things out, and we stay in Cairo for 5 days before we start the cruise. We can go to Alexandria during that time. Hope this helps.....Any advise you can give will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Yvon

Mimi,

West Bank - Hatshepsut temple is a must, then Valley of the Kings. You usually get to see three tombs, and the guide will select one or two. The tombs tend to be open in rotation to allow for restoration, and if Tutankamun's is open they will go there for sure, but if not, don't be disappointed, as it is small, not at all typical and nothing special.

Good ones of the 15 or so I've visited include Tuthmosis III, Amenhotep II, Seti I (another must if open), Tausert & Sethnakht, and Ramesses III, IV and IX.

In the Queen's Valley, if you go there as well, the big attraction is Nefertari's tomb, but that is definitely closed at the moment. However, some of the Prince's tombs are very good as well.

In Luxor, Karnak is a must, and so huge and complex you can only see part in one visit. Go to the Son et Lumiere if you get the chance. Other places in Luxor if you have time are the Luxor Temple, the Museum, and the Old Winter Palace Hotel.

Dendera is fine, Edfu is another must - it is the best preserved you'll see, and gives a good idea of how the temples were laid out. If you want to have a break, Kom Ombo is the one I would skip - you can still see it fine because it is right on the river bank.

The High Dam is a dam - nothing exciting, but Philae temple is one of Egypt's specially atmospheric places. My recommendation about Abu Simbel would be to go if you think you'll never get back to Egypt, but if you do want to return, give it a miss. Then next time take one of the Lake Nasser cruises from Aswan (3 or 4 days), and see it how it was meant to be seen - from the water.

In Cairo, must sees are the Pyramids at Giza, of course - if you get the opportunity, go to the Solar Boat by the side of the Great Pyramid. This was found in a pit in the 1950s, and excavated and reconstructed, and it still smells of cedar after 4500 years!

The Egyptian Museum is another must - ideally more than one visit. On day one you get hurtled round trying to fit in all the main exhibits (K Tut's gear, especially), and a second more leisurely visit enables you to see other things - try the Middle Kingdom jewellery room, for instance.

ALexandria I can't help you with, I'm afraid.

A couple of general suggestions. As I said earlier, pre-visit reading to get an idea of the civilisation and personalities (both human and god) pays off more in Egypt than anywhere else we've been. Other tips - the obvious of making sure you have plenty of bottled water with you on the excursions, and we take with us a small umbrella - not for the rain, but as a sunshade.

Hope this helps; if you have any other questions, I'll try and answer.

Richard

Richard, Thanks so much. We will take to heart your recommendations. Most of the trip is scheduled as a package so we will not have choices for most of the time. As a first time visitor to places we usually do it this way. Then if we are ever so lucky to make a return visit we will know what to do on our own.

Thanks again, Robb

Thanks so much for all the good info. Maybe we will do Abu Simbel another time. I read somewhere that it is a rather long hot day with nowhere to sit when you fly in, and that might not suit my DH. I have some books on Egypt and will be brushing up on the Pharos and Gods. We saw the Tut exibit when it was in the U.S. and it was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen! We also saw the Ramses exibit when it was in Memphis. Plan to spend as much time as possable in the Cairo Museum. What about the light show at the Pyramids? It sounds impressive.

Thanks for being so prompt with all your answers.

Yvon

Robb: you will have a great time, I am sure. Maybe Ameila Peabody will be joining you?

We really like the GCT ships, now known as Grand Circle Cruise Line. Take a good book, as there really is not a lot of entertainment in the pm, but you will be so tired that even the book may never be opened!

We just got back last night from our GCT riverboat trip, Eastern Europe to the Black Sea. Tired, but happy, and glad to be home and back to my watergarden and the summer festivities.

Grace, seems like we meet on all the different message boards. Glad you had a good trip, Tony and I have been thinking about doing the same trip. You will have to let us know all about it.

Yes...........Amelia Peabody. As a tribute to her while in Cairo I hope to be able to go by Shephard's Hotel and have a drink. I know the original one burned(or was demolished) but it is the best I can do.

Will let you know about Scan./Russia when we get back. We leave this Wednesday.

Tata,

Robb

We too are going to Scandanavia and Russia on Aug.17. We are giong on the Grand Princess and then back across the Atlantic to New York. We will be gone about a month. I will be very interested to hear your comments when you get back. Have a wonderful trip!

Yvon

• 3 weeks later...

Robb,

Looks like this board won't allow a link to another.

Go to Cruisemates.com and click on interactive drop down and click on photo Gallery. Then bring up the search box and type Joe Reynolds.

Should find some pictures there of an Egypt trip including the Nile River cruise.

Go to Cruise Buggie for a trip review.

We've just booked the Cairo/Nile Grand Cirlce Travel trip for Feb '05. Last month's edition of Conde Nast traveler had a lengthly aritcle about Egypt and said it is very popular right now, as it is one of the safest countries to travel to and be in. I am hoping it will be of the quality of a Vantage European river cruise we had taken. We thought that was excellent.

• 4 weeks later...
What is the difference between the Mezzanine deck and the Lounge deck? Is it worth the extra money?

The cabins are identical on all decks of the River Anuket, except for the most forward cabins on one of the decks which I think are singles. All have sliding windows almost floor to ceiling and wall to wall. The rearmost cabins on the lowest deck can get noisy when the engines are fired up. Other than that, it really doesn't matter.

• 4 weeks later...

We are booked on the Nov.6 GCT Cairo and the Nile trip, and are having second thoughts. At the time we booked, about two months ago, my husband's arthritis was not too bad, but now this past week it has flared up badly, so that walking is quite painful for him.

We have been in Egypt before, but it was 20 years ago, and we were both a lot younger and more agile. I just don't remember the "surfaces" we were walking on, were they uneven rocks, cobblestones, or just sand? We spent a week on a falucca, spent a day riding camels across the desert. I know we won't be doing any of those things this time, but wonder if Albert will be able to negotiate the stairs on the ship. We are on the Mezzanine deck (cabin 206) and it looks like the restaurant is two flights of stairs down, and the lounge one deck up. Are the stairs steep, and is there a railing?

I assured Grand Circle that I realize that he won't be able to use his lightweight folding wheel chair on the ship, and I think, slowly, he'll be able to get around ok, but I am concerned if I will be able to push him in the chair through any of the temples, etc, on shore excursions. Cairo should be less of a problem Does anyone recall if the National Museum has an elevator?

We are doing the extention in Jordon, and it looks like there will be a horse cart that can get him into Petra. He would never be able to walk the sandy mile. I remember there were horse carts in Luxor, also.

This morning he was limping so badly, I considered calling GCT to cancel. But first I think I'll ask for advice from someone who has been there recently, and up his medication, and hope things get better in the next weeks. We both are looking forward to the trip so much. Our usually dry Arizona has been quite humid the past week, and I know it will be hot and dry in Egypt!

A comment on Abu Simbel- we were there in 1983, flew in for the day. It was a lot less expensive then, I think $75 each. I noticed the "caviat" in the GCT flyer about no guarantees as to how much time you would actually have at the temples because of the flight schedules. There is standard time, day light time and then there is Egypt time!!! We spent about three times as much time in the airports waiting for our plane to show up both in Aswan and also at Abu Simbel, than we did at the temples. They were awesome, however and I am so glad we went. It was a small, maybe 50 pax plane and definately pre 9/11 security back then; the pilot had the door to the cockpit open the whole time, and invited some of the passengers (good looking young women, of course) to come in and actually let one of them sit on his lap and "pretend" (I hope) to fly the plane! EGAD!

Archived