Cupecoy Beach?

twostacys

I haven't been to St. Maarten myself yet, but have been posting questions about it lately. I was told by a very informative person that Dawn Beach is a good one for simply relaxing and reading a book perhaps. She referred me to Frommers.com and this is what they said about Cupecoy:

Popular Cupecoy Bay Beach is very close to the Dutch-French border, on the western side of the island. It's a string of three white-sand beaches set against a backdrop of caves, beautiful rock formations, and cliffs that provide morning shade. There are no restaurants, bars, or other facilities, but locals come around with coolers of cold beer and soda for sale. The beach has two parking lots, one near Cupecoy and Sapphire beach clubs, the other a short distance to the west. Parking costs $2. You must descend stone-carved steps to reach the sands. Cupecoy is also the island's major gay beach.

Hope this is somewhat of a help!

Julie

Julie,

Thanks for the information. I found a website that said there was one bar at Cupecoy (Cliffhanger or something?). I even went to thier website. It overlooked the beach and they served lunch and drinks. I can't remember the site that I was on. I looked at so many.

twostacys;

We go to Cupecoy Beach regularly (own timeshare very near there) and don't have any problem with the 'gay' aspect of the beach, though there is a (usually) subtle undertone of that there.

There is also service available; chairs, umbrellas, drinks --- maybe not on a level with some other beaches, but not a problem.

Cliffhanger is kinda on Cupecoy. It's probably a half mile from the beach proper, but that entire area is often referred to as Cupecoy. We've not visited Cliffhanger, and it's changed hands fairly recently, but hear that it's a nice place for drinks and viewing sunsets, though the staff can be a bit lazy.!

Perhaps you'd also enjoy Mullet, that I've recommended to others recently -- search for my other postings.

Cupecoy is a very pretty beach. On some days the beach can be very narrow though. Next to Orient it probably has the most nude sunbathers. It is quiet and the surf can be a little rough. I don't think of it as a gay beach. When I was there it was almost all M/F couples and some families. It may be different on other days.

I remember locals setting up to sell drinks right on the beach. There wasn't much near by.

Archived