Guide To Florida Car Rental (Transfer To Port)

Acrossenger

It has been discussed many many times on this board about what is the cheapest way to transfer from airport to port, is one way allowed, which agency is the best..etc. It is my hope this thread can assist you in answer some questions in your car rental endeavor.

Generally speaking, if there are more than 2-3 people travelling together, renting a car is the cheapest way. The minimal charge for the car rental is one day or 24 hours, so you can drive around the town to check out the port city if you have time. In state of Florida, most major car rental companies do not charge one way surcharge or drop off fee. I personally favor major car rental companies because they are far more reliable and potential saving from renting from small guys are minimal. Recommended agencies list is from the past experiences and ease of rental (such as in airport terminal rental rather than take a shuttle bus to off-airport location and complementary shuttle to/from port). The typical cost is referring to a Midsize or intermediate size car per day inculding all taxes.

Orlando International (MCO)

Avis (In airport terminal)

Budget (In airport terminal)

National (In airport terminal)

Alamo (In airport terminal)

Typical cost: $40

Port Canaveral

Avis (1.2 Miles away, 6650 N Atlantic Ave, Cape Canaveral, FL 32920, more staffs than Budget, complementary shuttle to port)

Budget (0.3 Miles away)

Thrifty (1.2 Miles away)

Hertz (1.4 Miles away)

Typical cost: $43

Fort Lauderdale (FLL)

Avis (In airport terminal, complementary shared shuttle to port)

Budget (In airport terminal, complementary shared shuttle to port)

Hertz (In airport terminal, complementary shared shuttle to port)

National (In airport terminal, complementary shared shuttle to port)

Thrifty (In airport terminal, complementary shuttle to port)

Typical cost: $54

Port of Everglades

Fort Lauderdale Airport (3.0 Miles away) (see above for complementary shuttle to port, most people choose airport rental location)

Budget (1 Miles away, 1515 SE 17th street causeway, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316)

Hertz (0.6 Miles away, 1850 Eller Drive, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316)

Thrifty (1.1 Miles away, 2400 Miami Road, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316-3927)

National (1.5 Miles away, 600 Terminal Drive, Ft Lauderdale, FL 33315)

Alamo (1.5 Miles away, 600 Terminal Drive, Ft Lauderdale, FL 33315)

Typical cost: $45

Miami International Airport

Avis (In airport terminal)

Budget (In airport terminal)

Hertz (In airport terminal)

National (In airport terminal)

Typical cost: $43

Port of Miami

Hertz (0.8 Miles away, 1015 North America Way, Miami, FL 33132)

Avis (1.4 Miles away, 99 Se 2nd Street Miami, FL 33131, 5 minutes/$7 cab ride to port)

Typical cost: $45

Having said all these companies, I personally perfer Avis car rental - the premium business class car rental agency with reasonable price. From my experience, they are the best choice to rent. They usually have best airport location, shuttle to/from port and friendliest agents. There is no reason to kick off or finish your vacation with problems just to save $5. Since I am so into saving money, I have searched various different sites for discount codes. I have discovered Avis AWD C031529 offers the best discount and everyone can use it. I use it all the time and saved me tons of money over the years. It also includes Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) ($3000 deductible).

When using the the Avis AWD C031529(C.Zero.Three...) discount code, on the second page of Avis booking page, ALWAYS ALWAYS select lowest rate option. You can stack saving with additional coupons, however, it is only useful for people renting longer than 1 day.

So for example (Avis location code listed):

Fly in/out of Orlando and cruise out of Port Canaveral

Avis MCO Airport (in terminal) - P3F (complementary shuttle to port)

Avis P3F - MCO

Fly in/out of Fort Lauderdale and cruise out of Miami

Avis FLL (in terminal) -M6I (5 minutes / $7 cab ride to port)

Avis M6I-FLL

Fly in/out of Miami and cruise out of Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale)

Avis MIA (in terminal) -FLL (complementary shuttle to port)

Avis FLL-MIA

If anyone have any comments or updates, please post in this thread. I will update the summary from time to time. If this information has benfited you, please feel free to post else where or pass on to benefite your fellow cruisers.

Just looked a car rental for one day post-cruise in Miami.

Avis wanted $74.99 for intermediate...then I punched in the above code C031529 and guess what ? Poof made the reservation for $36 - wow - thanks for the info.

Ted

I rented a mid-size a few days ago for a September cruise arriving Ft Lauderdale airport and going out of the Port of Miami. Do they have a free shuttle to the port? I noticed a cab is about $7.

I haven't reserved yet for our return to FLL. Must do that soonish!!

I finally got it to work by closing safari as my browser and using firefox. We like to rent a convertible and this rate code did not lower the rate. It does however lower the rates a lot on regular cars. I'll keep looking for now and try to find the best rate on a convertible.

Thanks anyway for the tip. I'm sure it will help many. These boards are great for this kind of info. I did use the discount code offered for Comfort suites hotel that I found here.

Can't find that code right now but I found it on these boards on one of the fll threads.

However, if you go to the hotel web-site and then choose "internet users rate" from the drop down menu, you will get a pretty good rate. I just checked for my dates and it is the same rate as the code I had found here.

Good luck.

comfortsuitesfortlauderdale.com/index.html

If you call Avis here in Cape Canaveral, you don't need a code - just ask for Bob or Monica and they will meet or beat anyone's prices - just tell them Shirley told you and they will know who I am.

Enjoy your planning and cruising time.

Always

Shirley

hi just tried to book with hertz from miami downtown to eller drive fort lauderdale but they say no drop of or collection at eller drive they will shuttle to FLL

does anyone know if avis or any other car hire has cars near port and dont shuttle you to FLL

thanks

hi if you are a UK resdent and book in UK for florida car hire with yescarhiredotcom prices start at £11 per day compact £17 fullsize... add £2 and get multi driver and full tank of fuel i have used them many times they use alamo no drop off charges for one ways

i want to drop off near port everglades but they ony do FLL any onr know of car hire near port that doesnt shuttle to FLL thanks

hi just tried to book with hertz from miami downtown to eller drive fort lauderdale but they say no drop of or collection at eller drive they will shuttle to FLL

does anyone know if avis or any other car hire has cars near port and dont shuttle you to FLL

thanks

Avis is close to Miami port. I don't know if they pick up/drop off at port. There is a shuttle between Port Everglades and FLL.

Archived