car rental drop off near port of miami?

sundeck

There are no car rental drop-off locations at the Port of Miami. Avis has a location downtown 5 minutes from the port. They do not have a shuttle but it's so close to the port that cab fare is under $7 for the five minute cab ride. ;)

AVIS Downtown Miami - M6I

99 Southeast 2nd Street, (at Southeast 1st Avenue)

Miami, FL 33131

(1) 305-379-1317

Sun 8:00AM-4:00PM; Mon-Fri 8:00AM-6:00PM; Sat 8:00AM-4:00PM

We are flying into Fort Lauderdale the day before our cruise. I wanted to rent a car for the day and drop it off before our cruise from Miami the next morning.

Then we have an evening flight home after our cruise. I wanted to rent a car for the day and to use to get back to the Fort Lauderdale airport.

Which is the best car rental company and office location to use for this?

where are the Alamo and Dollar offices that shuttle to the Port of Miami?

this seems so complicated.

Avis is the simplest. It offers an office closest to the port, the downside is no free shuttle. You'll have to pay the $6-$7 cab fare for the 5 minute ride to the port.

The rental firms that offer a shuttle are located by the Miami airport, approximately 20-25 minutes from the Port of Miami.

Hertz has a downtown location. They also show a "Port of Miami" location but I think they are one in the same. The web site will not allow you to "return" to the Port location but will allow you to "pickup".

Miami Downtown HLE354 Southeast 1st StreetMiamiFlorida United States33131

I THINK they have a shuttle to and from the port....I plan to rent a car at FLL and return to the above location.

Bequia may know if my information is right or not.(hoping)

where are the Alamo and Dollar offices that shuttle to the Port of Miami?

this seems so complicated.

At the airport. We are renting a car from Dollar at the airport the day before, returning it that location the day of the cruise and using their shuttle to get to the cruise pier.

In January, we had booked a car through Enterprise to be picked up at the airport and left at our hotel (the Hyatt) the day of the cruise. We were going to take a cab to the pier from the hotel. Enterprise subsequently closed their office at the Hyatt on Sundays and stopped their free shuttle to the pier from the airport location.

So we canceled our car from Enterprise, booked through Dollar and saved $20 on the rental. and now have transportation to the pier. We also figured by the time we got the car back to the airport and got the shuttle to the pier, we'd miss the early crowds - so it maybe a win-win situation after all.

Hertz has a downtown location. They also show a "Port of Miami" location but I think they are one in the same. The web site will not allow you to "return" to the Port location but will allow you to "pickup".

Bequia may know if my information is right or not.(hoping)

None of the car rental agencies have vehicles on the port property. Real estate at the port is scarce, even if land were available the space needed to store rental vehicles would be so expensive that the cost of a rental would be through the roof.

Some of the car rental company web sites are deceptive. Some show a port location that is actually the same as the airport location. If you book online at either location you'd see two differant rates, the port rate being higher to cover the cost of the "free" shuttle.

From the Hertz website...I plan on using this in October

Port of Miami

1015 North America Way txt_bullet.gif Miami , Florida US Phone: 786-425-2515 Hours of Operation: 0800-1600 7 DaysRental Services Provided By:

Miami Downtown HLE, 354 SE First Street

Please exit the terminal and catch the Hertz Shuttle Bus. The shuttle to the servicing location runs Wednesday through Monday, every half hour from 0800-1600 .

pixel.gifAdditional Information:

Please include the name of the ship on the reservation.

pixel.gif

We used Avis downtown last year, but be warned: When we returned from the cruise, we had a tough time with a cab to downtown. When he found out how short the ride would be, the driver started yelling and complaining. After our nice cruise, the cab ride was an unpleasant reality. I'm going to use one of the car rental shuttles to the airport the next time.

When we returned from the cruise, we had a tough time with a cab to downtown. When he found out how short the ride would be, the driver started yelling and complaining. After our nice cruise, the cab ride was an unpleasant reality. I'm going to use one of the car rental shuttles to the airport the next time.

Cabbies realize that it's the luck of the draw, that's the nature of the business whether your in Miami, New York, Los Angeles etc. Both Miami and Ft Lauderdale encourage visitors to report rude and obnoxious cab drivers. The cities both go above and beyond handing out free taxi vouchers to those that report the bad cabbies. That kind of behavior is the exception, not the rule in the port cities of Miami and Ft Lauderdale.

Taxicab service in Miami-Dade County is regulated by the Consumer Services Department. For additional information, or to file a complaint or compliment call 305-375-3677.

Please call and share your experience with them.

I have to agree with FloridaFan. We rented from Avis in May when we were on the Majesty. When we returned to port I got turned away by three cabs when they found out where I wanted to go. There was a cop standing nearby who noticed what was going on so he told one of the cabbies to take me. It was not a very pleasant ride.

I have to agree with FloridaFan. We rented from Avis in May when we were on the Majesty. When we returned to port I got turned away by three cabs when they found out where I wanted to go. There was a cop standing nearby who noticed what was going on so he told one of the cabbies to take me. It was not a very pleasant ride.

We had the same problem in Mar 2006.. until I finally raised my voice alittle and said I am paying you to take me somewhere.. where is not the issue the money I give you is:( They agreed:p

• 1 month later...

I am STILL working on getting from the Port Of Miami to FLL after our cruise.....which is in 8 days!

I got a really good quote from Avis...less than 40 dollars...for a quick drive from POM to FLL...our flight is at 1:10 so we don't have a bunch of time to spare...don't think a shuttle to MIA would work...not enough time.

But then again its not worth 50 bucks to have to fight with a cabbie because he wanted a longer (read more money) fare.

But then again its not worth 50 bucks to have to fight with a cabbie because he wanted a longer (read more money) fare.

The taxi is required to take passengers to any destination via the most direct route. The fare is the amount shown on the meter, plus any tolls, (unless the trip is a flat fare). The trip begins when the taxi starts traveling towards the desired destination and ends when the taxi arrives at the desired destination.

Miami-Dade County has an oversupply of taxicabs at the airport and seaport and in downtown Miami, a cabbie's just as happy taking a short run to Avis, turning around and picking up at the nearby Holiday Inn. You won't hear them complaining about that. Try not to lose sight that YOUR the customer. ;)

Please call (305) 375-3677 with any questions, comments, concerns or complaints about taxi service.

Additional rules and rights as a passenger:

http://www.miamibeachchamber.com/pleasure/transportation_taxi.shtml

///////////////

Valid points Bequia...I have however been on the wrong side of a pizzed off cabbie and its not fun. Once in Vegas after dinner with friends we were going less than a mile...but the ladies in heels were not looking forward to the walk...so we grabbed a cab. We spent the whole 5 minutes listening to the cabbie rant and rave about how much money we were costing him..."it was a short walk why don't you walk?"

But then again...we still talk about that cabbie and laugh about his ranting. Heck I would love to make 10 bucks for a 5 minute drive!

Valid points Bequia...I have however been on the wrong side of a pizzed off cabbie and its not fun.

Been there, done that as well but you know what...I'll never see them again, who cares. They'll take my money and grumble...oh well they can just deal with it and move on. It all balances out for them in the long run.;)

//////////////

Archived