Anne Frank House - Amsterdam

We are going to be in Amsterdam on Sun May 18. We would like to know if we can walk there from the ships dock in a reasonable length of time? Also where would we have to go to pick up a canal boat cruise.

We would appreciate any help.

Stan

No, you can not walk there from the ships dock- assuming you are docking in Rotterdam. You will need to take the train to Centraal station and then you can walk or take a tram. You can get a canal boat cruise also from the canal near Centraal Station, I don't think you can miss it. In front of the station there is a tourist info. office check in there for maps and info.

There is always a long line for the Anne Frank house, check and see if you can buy the tickets in advance it will save you some time. We were in Amsterdam for five days so it did not matter to us as much- we stood in line! But, seeing the Anne Frank house and museum was the highlight of our trip to Amsterdam.

Hope this helps.

We are going to be in Amsterdam on Sun May 18. We would like to know if we can walk there from the ships dock in a reasonable length of time? Also where would we have to go to pick up a canal boat cruise.

We would appreciate any help.

Stan

Hello. If you are docking at the Passenger Terminal in Amsterdam then it is certainly walkable, we did this a couple of weeks ago while on a short cruise (Jewel of the Seas). Out of the terminal, cross the road and turn right (follow everyone else!) - the Central Station where you can get Canal Boat tickets and buses/trams is about 10-15 minutes walk. Otherwise if you don't want to walk there are taxis waiting for fares in the Passenger Terminal area. We bought a city map beforehand and decided to take the walk, the Anne Frank House was about another 30 minutes from the station. There are road works around the station so if you choose the walking option make sure you have a good map. There is a tourist office near the station and you can also obtain 'hop-on-hop-off' canal bus tickets here. These take you on a circular route and include stops near the Anne Frank House and the Van Gogh Museum etc if you prefer not to walk. We actually walked there and got a canal boat back. There is a commentary on the boat which is nice.

Book your tickets online before you travel, just Google 'Anne Frank House Museum' and it is very easy and convenient. You print your tickets off for a particular time and then just present them at the ticket office to the left of the main entrance when you arrive. I'm sure you will find it a worthwhile, if sobering experience while you are in Amsterdam. Also worth checking out is the 'Viatours' website to see if there is anything of interest for you on there.

Its all very straightforward if you plan well beforehand. Like yourselves, we were there for just one day and did plenty of internet research first. We went to the Anne Frank House and the Van Gogh Museum (booked both lots of tickets online) and then did the canal boat trip back to the central station and still had time for a leisurely beer before walking back to the ship!

By the way, if you go upstairs in the Passenger Terminal on the way back you can get some great photos of your ship! We missed out on this as we didn't realise you could do it until we sat on our balcony watching people taking photos from upstairs in the terminal!

Hope this helps and have a great time this weekend!:)

Assuming you dock in Amsterdam (as most ships do), YES you can walk to Ann Frank House.

From the cruise-terminal which is just east of Centraal Station it will take about 20/30 minutes.

Another option take tram 25 (next to the cruiseterminal) or 26 (opposite the terminal) to Centraal Station. Change there to tramnr. 13 or 17 and get off at Westermarkt, about 3-4 stops. From there it is just 3 minutes walk to Ann Frank House.

If you still can, make reservations online to skip the sometimes long lines.

You can find maps on thise link, check maps B3,B4 andB5.

http://www.amsterdam.info/print/map/

Details about Ann Frank house:

http://www.annefrank.org/content.asp?pid=1&lid=1&setlanguage=2

Regarding canalboattrips. Opposite Centraal Station you will find a.o. Holland International and Lovers. On the main Street oppossite CS (Damrak) you will find more, like Reederij Kooy.

Most of them have glass-roofed ships (check that), for better viewing of course. In general they last about 1 hour, ships go on and off, hardly any waiting.

we'll be on the carnival splendor. how do i find out where we dock?

sheree

Looks like it will be the PTA-passenger cruise terminal, which is just east of Centraal Station. I donot know what day you will be here.

Check "calender" on this site:

http://www.ptamsterdam.nl/site/eng-index.php

Looks like it will be the PTA-passenger cruise terminal, which is just east of Centraal Station. I donot know what day you will be here.

Check "calender" on this site:

http://www.ptamsterdam.nl/site/eng-index.php

Ine,

Welcome back. I hope you had a grand vacation and look forward to using your information when we arrive in Amsterdam on the 25th.

Temma

Ine,

Welcome back. I hope you had a grand vacation and look forward to using your information when we arrive in Amsterdam on the 25th.

Temma

Thank you. Yes I had a great trip to and stay in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

I was in the city today and it was busy. Lots of tourists and also 3 big cruise-ships in port...

I just see you cruised on Summit March 26 2006. It looks like we were ahead of you, we did the Hawaii Summit beginning of March 06...

aug 29, it says alternative quai. is that walking distance to AF house?

want to purchase my tickets ahead and am trying to figure time out

we're only there 12-6, so AF house, maybe rembrandt or VG museum, flower market, red light walk, back to ship

sheree

aug 29, it says alternative quai. is that walking distance to AF house?

want to purchase my tickets ahead and am trying to figure time out

we're only there 12-6, so AF house, maybe rembrandt or VG museum, flower market, red light walk, back to ship

sheree

If I check Aug. 29 it doesnot say alternative docking, are you sure?

It looks like your ship that day is the only ship, so I think it will be the regular cruise-terminal. It is walking distance, but better (quicker) is to either walk to Centraal Station (10minutes) or take tramnr. 25 or 26 to Centraal Station.- (arrive at east side of the square) Change there to tramnr. 13 or 17 (leaving from the westside of the square).

There is much contruction going on, many fenches block the view)

Get off at Westermarkt (about 3 stops), and walk for 2 minutes.

Try to book Ann Frank house on line as there can be long lines.

After your visit take the tram back (into direction CS), (get off 1 stop later) behind Royal Palace, cross the street and take tramnr. 5 (direction Amstelveen) to Museumplein for Van Gogh or Rijksmuseum.

Back take 5 to station Centraal Station, get off at Muntplein, which is adjoining Flowermarket. From Muntplein take 25 direction PTA to the terminal again.

Of course the alternative would be a cab, which makes it more expensive.

You can see a networkmap for publictransportation on this site:

http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers/maps/Pages/Maps.aspx

But if you are right, it is nog very convienient. It would mean you need a shuttle to get into town, absolutely not walking distance.

Then I think you will have to stay with Ann Frank, Flowermarket and surroundings.

Ine,

thanks so much. i didn't know what it meant, i guess we'll have to see what the earlier cruisers say

how long do you think getting to the af house will take with the trams etc? figuring if we dock at 12, maybe 1:30?

when we get off by the flower market on the way back will we be able to walk thru the red light district? hubby wants to see it and check out hte cafes (sure!!) i guess he can't say he was in amsterdam and didn't see the district

Ine,

thanks so much. i didn't know what it meant, i guess we'll have to see what the earlier cruisers say

how long do you think getting to the af house will take with the trams etc? figuring if we dock at 12, maybe 1:30?

when we get off by the flower market on the way back will we be able to walk thru the red light district? hubby wants to see it and check out hte cafes (sure!!) i guess he can't say he was in amsterdam and didn't see the district

If you dock at 1200, (often ships dock earlier then expected), you have plenty of time to be at AF at 1.30, probably 1 pm will be possible too.

From flowermarket walk to Oude Zijds Voorburgwal or back on Rokin and at Dam take a right into Damstraat, continue over Oude Zijds Voorburgwal north towards Oude kerk (Old Church). If open take a look inside, this is really very old and interesting. Although there have been some closures lately, you will still see some of the ladies here. During daytime it is more quiet then at night.

Continue to Schreierstoren and from there either walk to the terminal (15-20 min.)or walk back to Centraal Syation and take tram 25 or 26 to PTA/IJburg. (watch you take the right direction!).

Note that taking photos in that area isnotmuch appreciated and of course never of any of the people there....

Check B4 on this map:http://www.amsterdam.info/print/map/

Archived