Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > New Cruisers > First Time Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

First Time Cruisers You May Also Want to Read: Over 4,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)

Old July 25th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool Seasickness patch

I am getting negitive feedback from my doctors regarding the Trans patch( seasickness patch) .

Last edited by Bunky'sDaD; July 25th, 2008 at 04:18 PM.

Old July 25th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just use Bonine. You can buy it over the counter at walmart. I dont get seasick could be due to sailing all around the world in a US Navy Aircraft Carrier. However, my sister and mom do get seasick so when I heard about bonine I gave it a shot and they were fine.
Golden Princess 3/25/06 Southern Caribbean
USS Abraham Lincoln 96-99 Western Pacific (USN)

Old July 25th, 2008, 10:00 PM
5,000+ Club

I have used the TransDerm patch for every cruise and it is, honestly, a God send for me.

I can't stand on a dock or sit in a kayak without being sick for hours. Meclizine (the generic of Bonine and Less Drowsy Dramamine) and Dramamine knock me out for a good day or more, so they are out of the picture. Seabands don't work for me, and neither does ginger tablets.

If you decide to use the patches, be sure to put it on about 4 hours before boarding. Don't cut it, and wash hands well after putting it on. Some people do have adverse side effects such as very blurry vision, very dry mouth and nervousness. I have a bit of dry mouth for a day, but that is it. If you have bad side effects and seas are rough, then take it off and get some free meclizine from guest services.

NEXT UP: Alaska! Summer 2014
PAST: Closing in on 20 cruises on Royal Caribbean & Celebrity

Old July 25th, 2008, 10:41 PM
50,000+ Club

We have used it and dont notice any side effects like some have. We also bring Bonine now too, for those one day rough water patches. The patch lasts 3 days and most storms dont last that long.

Old July 25th, 2008, 10:47 PM
carlogesualdo

I discovered the source of the blurry vision. My vision wasn't so much blurry as it was that I simply couldn't see to read with my glasses on (not usually a problem - I can see to read with or without). The next morning I looked in the mirror and discovered one of my eye pupils was dilated on the side where I had the patch. That will make your vision blur.

I didn't have any other side effects from it, but I don't usually have problems with side effects from anything I take.

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default My experiance with the patch

If you wear the patch...be prepared...because for me it produced a matalic taste in my mouth and all foods and drinks tasted funny. I will not use it again. The side affects lasted for days.

Happy Crusing!!!

Old July 26th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

We just returned from the Ecstasy and spent 7/22 in Dolly's aftermath waves. I worried about seasickness for weeks and the dr. prescribed the patch. After reading literature, however, I decided against it and took Bonine. It was great with no side effects. I took one that morning before boarding ship and took one every morning and every bedtime. I don't think I needed that much...I could have just taken it at night after a couple of days, but because this was my first cruise I wasn't sure. Even though we are home this afternoon, I will continue to take it only at night for a couple of days. I can still feel the boat rocking a little, but it is a pleasant feeling because it reminds me of the wonderful time we had. On the rough seas day I took a capsule of ginger with each meal (with a full glass of water). I was never ill, although the rocking made us a little tipsy on Tuesday. Even the patch wearers experienced this, though. I'm sold on Bonine and ginger capsules.

Old July 26th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by agmom2 View Post
We just returned from the Ecstasy and spent 7/22 in Dolly's aftermath waves. I worried about seasickness for weeks and the dr. prescribed the patch. After reading literature, however, I decided against it and took Bonine. It was great with no side effects. I took one that morning before boarding ship and took one every morning and every bedtime. I don't think I needed that much...I could have just taken it at night after a couple of days, but because this was my first cruise I wasn't sure. Even though we are home this afternoon, I will continue to take it only at night for a couple of days. I can still feel the boat rocking a little, but it is a pleasant feeling because it reminds me of the wonderful time we had. On the rough seas day I took a capsule of ginger with each meal (with a full glass of water). I was never ill, although the rocking made us a little tipsy on Tuesday. Even the patch wearers experienced this, though. I'm sold on Bonine and ginger capsules.
I went on a Transatlantic Cruise last year. I get seasick with rocky seas my doctor did give me the patch but she did tell me of the side effects.
After reading a simalar board like Cruise Critic found out that lots of folks use Ginger tablets. I went with Ginger Tablets and Dramamine.

If you go to your local health food store they will help you out with Ginger Tablets or capsules.

Old July 30th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Try Bonine (meclizine), Dramamine and ginger first. For me, they don't work, but I did try them. Ginger was really bad, as it kept coming back up. I especially get sick on the tour buses and taxis, but only on the ship when the seas are quite rough. I've never had any noticeable side-effects from the Transderm (scopolamine) patches, but I'm already on several medications. Recently, I spent several weeks in the hospital after having two surgeries and multiple complications. I was quite nauseated all the time, so they kept Transderm patches behind my ear for several weeks. So, they're not just used for travel.
HAL Zaandam-Pacific Coastal 10/2005
Sea Princess-Iceland/Greenland/Transatlantic 9/2005
HAL Westerdam-Baltics 6/2004
HAL Oosterdam-Mexican Riviera 3/2004
HAL Rotterdam-New England/Canada 10/2003
Old Royal Princess-British Isles 2002
Golden Princess-Western Mediterranean and Transatlantic 9/2001
Royal Olympic Olympic Countess-Greek Isles and Turkey 5/2001
HAL Ryndam-Eastern Caribbean 12/1998
Old Crown Princess-Hawaii 10/1998
Sky Princess-Alaska 9/1997
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam-Full transit Panama Canal 10/1995
Lindblad Sea Bird-Pacific Northwest 8/1994
Old Sun Princess-Alaska 8/1985
Sitmar Fairwind-Caribbean 1973, 1975

Last edited by pekachryn; July 30th, 2008 at 04:49 AM.

Old July 30th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky'sDaD View Post
I am getting negitive feedback from my doctors regarding the Trans patch( seasickness patch) .
We use patches and various other forms of scopolamine all of the time with no ill effects. Lately, we been having a compounding pharmacy put scopolamine into a gel and find that real handy.

Some people do have side effects but IMO, some people have side effects to virtually everything.

Old July 30th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky'sDaD View Post
Honestly, listen to your DR. HE/She is exactly right. I had many side affects, dizzy, blurry vision, loss of memory, and mood change was among a few of the affects I suffered.
I think it may work on some and not on all. Use the Bonine, start it 2-3 days before you leave to see how it will work with you,,,
Happy Sailing

Old July 30th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Location: The state of 5 National Parks and one crappy soccer team
Default Sometimes, living 750 miles from the nearest ocean is not good

Back in 2006, my wife & I flew to Cancun and spent a week in Playa del Carmen.

We went on a ferry ride to Cozumel and took a Catamaran ride. We took Bonine and we were OK. We are a 12 hour drive (assuming no stops in Vegas) from the nearest ocean, so we are pretty much landlubbers.

But after I mixed Bonine and the rum punch they served on the catamaran, I could hear the colors and see the sounds.

Is there such a thing as Children's Bonine or Children's Dramamine?

Old July 30th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

I wear the patch while cruising. I have experimented with OTC meds and a Sharper Image Relief Band.

For me, the best thing is the scop patch. Yes, it has side-effects. For me, it's worth it.

D.
Carnival Conquest 12/18/05
Norwegian Sea 7/04
Carnival Elation 3/04

Old July 30th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default bonine

doesn't that make you drowsy?
even less drowsy dram. makes it tough to stay awake/alert/enjoy.

Old July 31st, 2008, 08:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default patch cost

does anyone know how much it costs (approx)?
curious if it's worth trying ahead of time for side effects and then getting it again (if works) for actual cruise??

Old July 31st, 2008, 10:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboatjulie View Post
does anyone know how much it costs (approx)?
curious if it's worth trying ahead of time for side effects and then getting it again (if works) for actual cruise??
The patch was covered by my insurance. I got three at a time for a $20 co-pay.

Call a pharmacy...they can tell you the cost.

D.
Norwegian Sea 7/04
Carnival Elation 3/04

Old July 31st, 2008, 11:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi,

Maybe you could try ginger. I heard that ginger was pretty good and it's natural so that's a plus. I bought some Ginger Root 550 mg at Vitamin World. On the bottle it says that it's good for alleviating motion sickness.

Erica

Old July 31st, 2008, 11:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferluvs2cruise View Post
Honestly, listen to your DR. HE/She is exactly right. I had many side affects, dizzy, blurry vision, loss of memory, and mood change was among a few of the affects I suffered.
I think it may work on some and not on all. Use the Bonine, start it 2-3 days before you leave to see how it will work with you,,,
Happy Sailing
Then drug Scopolamine in the patches should be used with care in patients taking other drugs that are capable of causing the above side effects such as sedatives, tranquilizers, or alcohol.

Old July 31st, 2008, 12:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

I will take my first cruise Sept 14 and I already have my patches, they were like $7 after the insurance paid their part for 10 patches. I get motion sickness terrible so I think any adverse effects would be far better than the seasickness. IMO.

Old July 31st, 2008, 12:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8tn2cruz View Post
I will take my first cruise Sept 14 and I already have my patches, they were like $7 after the insurance paid their part for 10 patches. I get motion sickness terrible so I think any adverse effects would be far better than the seasickness. IMO.
Ditto!

D.
Norwegian Sea 7/04
Carnival Elation 3/04