Review - 3 October 2008 - Underwater Walk in Vila and Amedee Island

Brushtail

Hi everyone,

Karon (Kaseyoz) wrote such a great review of our cruise and it almost mirrored our experience, except for the teen club and shore tours.

Karon didn't do any shore tours, but we did. This is a short review of those two tours.

Underwater Walk in Vila. $99.00 each through P&O

We love snorkelling and watching the world under the water, so when we saw this tour being offered, we jumped at it. It was a chance to experience being totally underwater without actually scuba diving.

A minivan picked us up from the wharf and drove us to town and next to the Iririki Island ferry wharf.

There we were given a run down on safety and what we were to do. Then we signed the obligatory forms and prepared to go underwater. They provide mask and reef shoes, but Phil and I took our own. We wore our reef shoes from the ship and took our P&O towels too.

We were given weight belts and an air regulator - similar to scuba divers. They made sure we were comfortable and relaxed with breathing before we were led down to the harbour floor. A guide was with us at all times as we were led around a rope area looking at the coral and fish.

It was wonderful. We were underwater about 25 minutes, but it went so fast. We were about 4 metres underwater and walking along the harbour floor using the rope as a guide.

I had trouble keeping my position as I am very bouyant. lol

Phil tapped me on my back and tried to hand me the camera to take photos of him underwater, but if I had let go of the rope I would've floated away like a man in space. lol

Here we are underwater. I got into trouble from Phil for breathing, hence the bubbles. Phil held his breath. I like the bubbles, you can tell I am underwater. Aren't I brave?

2964023914_134566708b.jpg?v=0

Amedee Island - Noumea. $179 each through P&O

If you can afford it, this is the best shore tour we have been on. It has it all.

• A 45 minute boat trip out to the Island at 8.30am
  • glass bottom boat and snorkelling experience where they, and you, feed the fish
  • a boat trip out to beyond the reef for some shark feeding
  • cultural display of gorgeous dancing and music and fire dancing
  • cocktails, wine and lunch
  • other displays in the afternoon that we missed as we were busy snorkelling ourselves.
  • 45 minute boat trip back to Noumea returning at 4.30 in the afternoon.

We loved every minute of it and the staff at the Island worked hard to ensure that we had a great day. When you add up all the individual things to do and multiply it by the cost of other P&O shore tours, it is a value day.

There is a shop on the island selling souvenirs but we didn't buy anything. Lunch was a buffet and there was plenty of food, and it was delicious.

The snakes were everywhere. But they were harmless if you left them alone. They have tiny heads and they would have difficulty biting people. We were given printouts about them and were told to leave them alone and they would leave us alone. This was true. They feed out at sea and then come onto the island to digest their food.

One was in the glass bottom boat next to Phils foot and he didn't see it, but the boatman did. He just grabbed it, waved it around so we could all see and then dropped it over the side. You should've seen Phil's face. lol

When Phil and Jim were climbing the lighthouse, Gail and I relaxed amongst the palm trees with a glass of wine and I noticed a metre long snake crawling under Gail's chair. I said: "Gail, there's a snake under your chair". Gail's feet shot up in the air and she shrieked. I leaped up to save her, Gail grabbed hold of me and we stumbled and nearly fell over onto the sand laughing hysterically. It was like something out of Laurel and Hardy.

We had the best time. You've gotta go.

Here are some photos.

2963183397_8676be0fca.jpg?v=0

Amedee Island

2963183079_7c6c1412e9.jpg?v=0

Glass Bottom Boat

2964024358_ff40434af7.jpg?v=0

Sea snake

2963182211_03601d5ff5.jpg?v=0

One of our many snorkelling photos

2964025182_5359b37b17.jpg?v=0

View from the top of the lighthouse

Thanks for the memories Jenny!! Agree 100% with your sentiments about Amedee, it came equal first on the list of highlights from our cruise, equal with the helicopter flight at Port Denarau.

Did you do the shark feeding on the way out, or go out from the Island later in the day?

Thanks for the memories Jenny!! Agree 100% with your sentiments about Amedee, it came equal first on the list of highlights from our cruise, equal with the helicopter flight at Port Denarau.

Did you do the shark feeding on the way out, or go out from the Island later in the day?

Hi Kym,

We arrived at the island and had a look around, did the glass bottom boat and then went from there on the faster launch out to do the shark feeding, then had lunch and the cultural display. All were sensational. :)

Jen, the photos and review are wonderful!

I'm particularly interested in the underwater walk when we go to Vila in January, but i'm not sure if I can talk Mr Minx into a $200 spend :( Might just have to win bingo hey? ;)

Hi Jen,

All those things sound wonderful (not sure about the snakes though:D ).

Couple of questions if you can help out please. How old do you need to be to do the underwater walk?

I'm asthmatic hence can't (that I know of) scuba dive so am thinking the underwater walk probably the same for me.:(

Notice a little girl on the glass bottom boat, so assume children are fine on this tour. Do you by any chance know the children's price?

Cheers

Jingles

(Vannessa)

Hey Jen, thanks for that. I like your writing style - had me giggling along with you! Great photos too. :)

Did you notice if there is scuba diving available on Amedee island? I have heard there is, but diving is not mentioned on our Amedee island excursion listing.

Then again, not sure I want to dive somewhere they feed / attract the sharks! :eek: What type were they, do you know? ('reef' = good, 'tiger' = very very bad! :p)

Jen, Glad you took my advice and wrote about your great shore tours.:p :D

Your photos are great and I am sure gail will chime in with some of Jim's photos too.

I do wish Jim had his video going when the snake attacked Gail!!!!:D

Thanks for the Mini Review on your shore tours.

We have our eye on the underwater walk in Vila for our cruise in Feb and you have just confirmed it as a MUST DO. :D

Thanks for the Photos looks like you had heaps of fun.

I don't like snakes (will look at them only if there is a pane of glass between me and them) so we will miss out on Amedee but thanks for the photos of them too makes me feel as if I went anyway.

Hi, thanks for the review, we were trying to decide what to do while on our cruise, and your review and fantastic photos have nudged us into thinking about doing your tours. Sounds like you had a wonderful time - hope ours is the same.

Thanks I don't like snakes (will look at them only if there is a pane of glass between me and them) so we will miss out on Amedee but thanks for the photos of them too makes me feel as if I went anyway.

I'm the same way with snakes, but don't let them put you off going to Amedee. With a couple of hundred people descending on the island they tend to make themselves pretty scarce - at least they did the day we were there.

Kym

Notice a little girl on the glass bottom boat, so assume children are fine on this tour. Do you by any chance know the children's price?

Cheers

Jingles

(Vannessa)

There were quite a few kids on our tour to Amedee. Cost of this tour is $179 for adults, $99 for kids. Worth every cent.

Kym

Hi Jen! - i see in the picture of the glass bottom boat that Jim is sitting there looking at his camera still trying to find his pictures of the underwater walk (poor Jim) - hey when will Gail & Jim be back online? - loved your review and pictures of Amedee island - Cheryl will not go there as she is too scared of snakes - we added a group picture of CCer's in the Bengal Bar to Karon's review of 3rd October

Peter & Cheryl

Hi Jen! - i see in the picture of the glass bottom boat that Jim is sitting there looking at his camera still trying to find his pictures of the underwater walk (poor Jim) - hey when will Gail & Jim be back online? - loved your review and pictures of Amedee island - Cheryl will not go there as she is too scared of snakes - we added a group picture of CCer's in the Bengal Bar to Karon's review of 3rd October

Peter & Cheryl

Hi Peter and Cheryl

I'm using daughters computor just saw your post. We should be back on HOPEFULLY next Wednesday or Thursday. I miss all you guys but not long now.

Good news Jim found underwater shots when he put footage on computor.

Most of it well the majority of it was there. So he's pretty stocked about that. Some great footage of Jen and Phil too.

My review will be pretty much the same as Jen and Karon. Amedee was worth every cent so anyone interested GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I am petrified of snakes too but they didn't worry us.My little friend under my chair was a bit scarey when Jen said it but he was just passing thru lol. And Jen and I laughted about it and the fact that we almost fell over was soooooo hysterical hahahaha. But we had the best day the food entertainment dancing girls I LOVE dancing it is a passion of mine I fell over a thin tree root in the sand going over to where food and entertainment was Iflew thru the air Jim's camera flew too one of the girls came running over to see if I was alright I was just a little embarrest lol.But we had great day.

On first or second at sea night 50's and 60's night I won the Elvis impression comp it was sooooooooooo fun. It is on the D.V.D from P.O hahahahaha

We had a great time on this cruises metting Peter and Cheryl was great they are two lovely people and Karon and daughter Jade were so nice and having dinner with them was such fun.

And guys the look on Jen and Phils faces when we walked in was pricesless it was worth all the (anxioty???) of keeping it a secret and not being able to share our excitment with you all. Wouldn't ever do it again tho I couldn't stand the strain lol. Will do cruising with you my friends tho We have booked 20th October 2009 and Feb 1st 2010 New Zealand same as Jen and Phil YEAHHHHHHHHHH.

Cheers for now guys be back on soon

Luv Gail and Jim

xxxx

Thanks for posting that. I had wondered about doing that tour but didn't want to miss Noumea either. From what I have read Amedee is the way to go and we won't miss much in Noumea anyway! What time did you need to board the boat in the afternoon.

Thanks

Angela

Thanks for posting that. I had wondered about doing that tour but didn't want to miss Noumea either. From what I have read Amedee is the way to go and we won't miss much in Noumea anyway! What time did you need to board the boat in the afternoon.

Thanks

Angela

The boat back to Noumea leaves at 3.30pm. Back at the Marina and on the bus back to the wharf by 4.30, straight back to Pacific Dawn, and just enough time to get some photo's of the ship at the wharf before getting back on board in time for sailaway.

Basically, if you're going to do the Amedee Shore tour, don't plan to do anything else, as you won't have time.

Hi Peter and Cheryl

I'm using daughters computor just saw your post. We should be back on HOPEFULLY next Wednesday or Thursday. I miss all you guys but not long now.

Good news Jim found underwater shots when he put footage on computor.

Most of it well the majority of it was there. So he's pretty stocked about that. Some great footage of Jen and Phil too.

My review will be pretty much the same as Jen and Karon. Amedee was worth every cent so anyone interested GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I am petrified of snakes too but they didn't worry us.My little friend under my chair was a bit scarey when Jen said it but he was just passing thru lol. And Jen and I laughted about it and the fact that we almost fell over was soooooo hysterical hahahaha. But we had the best day the food entertainment dancing girls I LOVE dancing it is a passion of mine I fell over a thin tree root in the sand going over to where food and entertainment was Iflew thru the air Jim's camera flew too one of the girls came running over to see if I was alright I was just a little embarrest lol.But we had great day.

On first or second at sea night 50's and 60's night I won the Elvis impression comp it was sooooooooooo fun. It is on the D.V.D from P.O hahahahaha

We had a great time on this cruises metting Peter and Cheryl was great they are two lovely people and Karon and daughter Jade were so nice and having dinner with them was such fun.

And guys the look on Jen and Phils faces when we walked in was pricesless it was worth all the (anxioty???) of keeping it a secret and not being able to share our excitment with you all. Wouldn't ever do it again tho I couldn't stand the strain lol. Will do cruising with you my friends tho We have booked 20th October 2009 and Feb 1st 2010 New Zealand same as Jen and Phil YEAHHHHHHHHHH.

Cheers for now guys be back on soon

Luv Gail and Jim

xxxx

Hi Gail & Jim - We are so glad to hear that Jim's pictures of the underwater walk turned out- Jim was quite upset over the corrupted file - nearly as upset as i was that i did not have my camera on me when Jim joined the Pacific Dawn Entertainers on stage during the pirate show - I would of loved to have put Jim on youtube lol - Cheryl still will not do Amedee Island (she said the only snake on the island with a mouth big enough to bite a human would find her lol)

Peter & Cheryl

Hi Gail & Jim - We are so glad to hear that Jim's pictures of the underwater walk turned out- Jim was quite upset over the corrupted file - nearly as upset as i was that i did not have my camera on me when Jim joined the Pacific Dawn Entertainers on stage during the pirate show - I would of loved to have put Jim on youtube lol - Cheryl still will not do Amedee Island (she said the only snake on the island with a mouth big enough to bite a human would find her lol)

Peter & Cheryl

Oh, was Jim the "Pirate King"??, if so I hope he was suitably Majestic :)

Nah he was just the crew drinking:D

Ah, I see.

We knew the Pirate King on our cruise! We'd had afternoon tea with them early in the cruise, and then we would see them about the ship, and stop to talk to them, quite regularly for the rest of the cruise, often when they were doing their afternoon walk around the Sun Deck - his wife doing the full circuit, him doing a half circuit to catch up to her.

Nah he was just the crew drinking:D

it may have just been a small part but Jim did it really well (looked like he had practiced the part a fair bit lol) and did you see the way he blew his cannon?

Peter & Cheryl

And I wished I had my camera with me to photgraph you trying to recoil back into your seat and try to look invisible as they searched the crowd for a suitable "pirate"

LOL Karon! - but i think i would of liked to have been the Pirate King - did you see how much attention the female dancers gave that guy? Wooooo Hooooo

Peter

Archived