Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Scuba and Snorkeling

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old October 28th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Cleaning snorkel equipment

We're headed on our 2nd cruise, and we'd bought snorkel equipment for our 1st cruise over 2 years ago. Since that cruise, our equipment has been in the garage collecting dust, lint from the dryer, dirt, and god only knows what else. Can I put the equipment in the dishwasher to wash it or will that ruin the plastic on the mask?

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 28th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

One more question... We do NOT have fins or that life jacket thingy. If we want to rent those two items, but not the mask or snorkel, is it cheaper? If it's the same price, then we might as well buy fins and that life jacket before we go...

Old October 28th, 2008, 10:57 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyj23 View Post
We're headed on our 2nd cruise, and we'd bought snorkel equipment for our 1st cruise over 2 years ago. Since that cruise, our equipment has been in the garage collecting dust, lint from the dryer, dirt, and god only knows what else. Can I put the equipment in the dishwasher to wash it or will that ruin the plastic on the mask?
I would not use the dishwasher especially if it is a good mask. I use a little Baby Shampoo and water. Also baby shampoo and water rubbed inside and out on the lens and then flushed with water helps with foggy up.

That is my take and others may have another idea, best of luck.

Old October 28th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

I used to manage a dive center and the best way to clean the mask and snorkel is to put them in a bucket of warm water and some bleach... this is disinfect them and not damage the silicon. once soaked for about 2hrs, rinse in fresh water and they'll be ready to use. As for renting fins vs buying them. Think about how much use you'll get out of a pair if you buy them?

Old October 29th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DublinTraveller View Post
I used to manage a dive center and the best way to clean the mask and snorkel is to put them in a bucket of warm water and some bleach... this is disinfect them and not damage the silicon. once soaked for about 2hrs, rinse in fresh water and they'll be ready to use. As for renting fins vs buying them. Think about how much use you'll get out of a pair if you buy them?
Hi,

Totally agree! But just remember do not let your equipment dry in direct sunlight. Prolonged exposure to direct sunlight will degrade the silicon over time.

Randall

Old October 31st, 2008, 07:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

If buying snorkel vest, get the ones with crotch strap. Without it, it can slip off you head, or moves too high and make it uncomfortable. My friends had that, vs what we had. Big difference.

Most ops include the cost of renting the snorkel/mask/fin/vest in their price. If you have your own mask/snorkel but need to rent fin/vest, they don't usually give discount. But if you have everything yourself, you can negotiate for slight discount, and some place will.

Went on:
Carnival Freedom Aug. 24/13 (8d, FLL -> Grand Turk; La Romana, DR; Curacao; Aruba)
NCL Pride of America Aug. 25/2012 (7d Hawaii; Honolulu -> Kahului, Maui; Hilo; Kona; Kauai)
Carnival Splendor Aug. 22/2010 (Long Beach -> Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Luca)
Costa Fortuna Mar. 14/2010 (7d, FLL->Nassau, Ocho Rios, G Cayman, Cozumel)
Carnival Splendor Aug. 30, 2009, hurrican Jimena forced changes (7d, Long Beach -> Catalina; Ensenada; Cabo; missed PV and Maz)
Carnival Triumph Jun 29, 2009 (5d, New York -> Saint John/NB; Halifax)
Carnival Liberty Aug. 23, 2008 (7d, Miami -> Half Moon Cay; USVI; San Juan; Grand Turk)
Carnival Destiny Aug. 26, 2007 (7d, San Juan -> USVI; Dominica; Barbados; St. Lucia; Antigua)
Carnival Miracle Aug. 27, 2006 (7d, Tampa -> G Cayman; Cozumel; Belize; Costa Maya)
Norwegian Wind Aug. 24, 2005 (10d Honolulu, Oahu -> Hilo; Fanning island; Kauai; Lahaina, Maui; Kona)